Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Staging Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallyman
It is coming together, slowly. But measurable progress, which is key. Dropped the head and related parts off today, should have back Wed.

Date? HA! Was hoping March 1 but more reaslistically May 1 maybe? Not sure. I won't kill myself to hit a date, I want it to be right (plus I have the 355 LT1 RX7 to pacify me temporarily).. so it will be when it will be, I guess. Late Spring is about as specific as I need right now.
yeah deff dont rush yourself, esp. if you run into more issues like you did with your motor.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkjck
yeah deff dont rush yourself, esp. if you run into more issues like you did with your motor.
No rush. I'm pacing myself to keep mental balance with the rest of my life, to.

Build Update:

Parts Arrival - Couple of boxes arrived:

Flyin Miata Stage 2 Fan kit
Flyin Miata flywheel cover plate

Eastern Beaver rubber plugs and tie-straps. Look good.

Track Dog Racing front air splitter.

The splitter box had a fun label on it, I think I need the same thing on my forehead.

Flyin Miata stuff looks great as always.. except a very odd finish technique on the fan shround?? I think I would describe it as "crazy man with a bad wire wheel" finish.

Very rough texture, not really liking it honestly.. looks like.. well, a crazy man attacked it with a bad wire wheel. Sooo... dunno. Need to inquire if that is the normal finish, because I gotta say: not a fan (pun intended). I guess I'll be sanding and painting it?

Engine Repair - Dropped off the bad head and the new parts at a machine shop today, should have it back Wed or so. Look forward to putting the engine back together.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll be sanding and painting it?
I would. If you just go to town on it with a power sander or a grinding wheel with a red scotchbright type disc it shouldn't take long.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
I would. If you just go to town on it with a power sander or a grinding wheel with a red scotchbright type disc it shouldn't take long.
The rubber flaps are the biggest challange, I don't think I can pull them without ripping off the little nubs that hold them in. Need to mess with it some more.

I may try just painting it as is, the roughness should help paint adhesion, I think.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The rubber flaps are the biggest challange, I don't think I can pull them without ripping off the little nubs that hold them in.
You could use the power sander in the areas you can safely reach and sand the areas around the flaps by hand.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

You could use the power sander in the areas you can safely reach and sand the areas around the flaps by hand.
Oh, sorry, meant for the painting portion of it. The sanding will be easy, just not sure how to get the flaps up and out of the way with I spray it and to keep them there. I'll figure something out.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

could 'brush' it and then hit it with some of that sharkskin stuff; from what i remember its more like wipe on/off than painting.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irish350
could 'brush' it and then hit it with some of that sharkskin stuff; from what i remember its more like wipe on/off than painting.
Not to threadjack but I really want to know what this stuff is, if there is a better way it would make my life much easier.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irish350
Not to threadjack but I really want to know what this stuff is, if there is a better way it would make my life much easier.
Ditto - never heard of it. The only hits I find are for large container ships and airplanes..
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are thinking of Sharkhide.

http://www.sharkhide.com/

-Blake
Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Build Update:

Engine Repairs - Got a call from the shop that has my head (the old one with bent valves).. 6 of 8 valves aren't sealing properly and show heating on the seat side. Lovely. So, based on that, I pulled the other head and both are going to be checked and repaired. Another $300-400 pissed away on my "13k mile LS2". Hope to have them back Friday. Now I need to buy another head gasket, and more head bolts. Considering an ARP set since it is all apart.

Parts Ordered - Ordered a replacement collar for Ground-Control.. $18 + $5 shipping. They said the biggest issue with those is people over-tighten them (guilty!). Basically just tighten the set screw turn the collar won't move, don't bottom it out like I did. So that will get that fixed up. I still need to thread-chase the two front struts, the threads are a little mucked up.

Parts Arrived - My leather shift boot arrived from across the pond, reeeaaaalll (SNIFF SNIFF) leather! Looks awesome, stiching is very nice, and the price was wicked.. $16.97 shipped. I'll get a photo up eventually.

Fan Shroud - So, got a reply.. apparently a friend is actually the guy that makes those, and he told me to "stop making excuses and finish the swap".. The finish is a DA used to give them all a consistent(ly ugly) finish. I still think it is going to get painted.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default I'm thinking of a word....

Soooo, going to call the yard again, and talk (hopefully) to the boss. Purposeful or not, I paid for a 13k mile motor, and got something with maybe 35-40k on it with 2 bent valves hidden under a new valve cover, plus 6 of 8 valves on that head not sealing and a a busted coiland who knows what else I have not even found yet.

I'm PISSED. So, I want satisfaction, dammit!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

[img]
Soooo, going to call the yard again, and talk (hopefully) to the boss. Purposeful or not, I paid for a 13k mile motor, and got something with maybe 35-40k on it with 2 bent valves hidden under a new valve cover, plus 6 of 8 valves on that head not sealing and a a busted coiland who knows what else I have not even found yet.

I'm PISSED. So, I want satisfaction, dammit!
Just got off the phone, the yard has said (tho I've heard it before) they will make right on it quickly.. so we shall see. I should have my estimate today to send over to them.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Today's NOOB Advice:

CARFAX! - You hear people bitch about it, but it is better than nothing. Get the VIN of the pullout you are considering buying and pay the $$ to check it.. had I done that, I would have known this motor has probably triple the miles I thought. $40 on a $5500 pullout is mere pocket change for the hassle. And ask for PHOTOS of the wreck, too. This is probably the single largest cost item you are buying, and it is worth the extra verification, believe me!

I am 2 days from the 90 day warranty expiring, folks.. and the engine is in pieces and parts are at a shop being repaired and I suspect my agony is not yet over.

CARFAX!

AAARRRGGGG!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that 25,000 the mileage?!!! And how exactly does one bend two valves anyway?!!!

If I were you I would get that promise to "make things right" in writing before the 90 day warranty expires. Otherwise they could pull a fast one on you and say "Sorry you're past warranty, there's nothing we can do."
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is that 25,000 the mileage?!!! And how exactly does one bend two valves anyway?!!!

If I were you I would get that promise to "make things right" in writing before the 90 day warranty expires. Otherwise they could pull a fast one on you and say "Sorry you're past warranty, there's nothing we can do."
Reportedly mileage was 13,878 when I bought it. That corresponds to an earlier CarFax line, about 2 years old though. Actual is near 35,000/40,000 is my guess.

Bent valves are from external damage (brake booster) hitting the valve cover (common to GTO crashes apparently). I'm waiting on the warranty, I asked for a 90 day extension.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sellers cant be trusted in many cases. I am doing a swap into my vehicle and the first motor I got had large pieces of metal in the oil pan and was a major ordeal in which I lost $400 not to mention my time.

Now I am dealing with what was sold as an under 50K mile motor also from Ebay that I am finding is for sure is at least 100K miles with an aftermarket clutch that is well worn and 3 cylinders at under 175psi compared to the 210psi in the top 2cylinders..not what I paid for.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap is looking good so far
hope everything works out for you with the motor

I know a couple guys that shoehorned a 7.0 ford into a miata, then they put a twin screw blower on top. Made a touch over 700hp. waaay too much power for the little car but if you can get it pointed straight its a missile
Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Build update:

Cam Swap - Got a call from the machinist last night, the Comp 928 springs I bought with the Vengeance VRX4 cam are testing out 40 pounds heavy.. somewhere around 420-425 instead of the 383 open that they should. Wonderful. Sooooooo, more chasing needed to figure out what needs to be done. Either the springs are wrong in the box, they are naturally heavy, or... something. Got a call into Ron @ Vengeance to pick his brain. Hoping it's a non-issue but my shop was concerned these are quite heavy for the cam I bought.

Motor Issues - Junkyard refunded the labor and material cost for the valve work needed.. so that's good. Of course, they sent Paypal payment instead of a refund, so I have to pay fees.. idiots.

Parts Bought - Since both heads are off now, decided to put ARP bolts in. NIB ARP 134-3610 head bolts off eBay, $72.75 shipped. Should have Friday/Monday.

Parts Shipped - All the CAI stuff shipped (Thanks Burg!)

Parts Arrived - New Robbins soft top arrived.

Quick Reply: The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata