Congratulations on the child.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2^^ and awesome build!!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

I know its been a while, but i found your post looking for solutions to the Cadillac AC compressor. I wanted to show you what i came up with. I searched and searched looking for that Block that was in the thread on the Miata forum you had commented on, But i think that it is probably for an industrial application for someone who uses the same compressor on a piece of equipment and built that block for that particular application. What i came up with isnt exactly cheap, but it works. You had the same results from Docs Blocks that i did. Apparently no one makes the blocks for this compressor. I purchased a new set of AC lines from the dealer for a 2009 CTSV. I paid about 180.00. I think i saw them cheaper online though. I then marked them and took them to an AC hose place and had them cut and braze ends on to them. They are going to work great, but they should for as much as i have in them.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Back from the deep, just a quick update because I refuse to let the project die!!

The short version is my old house sold, wife's old house sold, new place bought, baby still not here (4 days late and counting.. grrrr) and car still buried at back of barn.

Been working hard at cleaning out and setting up the new work space... 1288 square feet of (generally speaking) blank canvas. I'll eventually post the before, during and after photos of the garge since there is nothing to report on the car yet. The PO left a lot of carpet pieces on the floor, random work surfaces and tables, and a mess of scrap lumber pieces.. all of which require processing of some sort. Oh, and every shelf that was built in was made out of old concrete forms since the original owner was a concrete guy.. lovely. The layout is maybe 85% solidified, and perhaps 50% accomplished at this point.

Garage improvements in process:
9 x 2 bulb 8' T12 HO cold start lights (should get me 70+ foot/candles at the work bench height.. yes!)
2nd 5hp, 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand compressor... my old one was getting tired and yesteday I popped the motor off the base (welds broke, dammit). Going to daisy-chain the tanks for 120 gallons of air.
Lots of storage and shelves and work surfaces.

So, work is progressing behind the scenes, preparing the new operating room for the work ahead!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the updates! praying the baby girl arrives soon and healthy!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wallyman
Misc Parts- Clockwise from left: T56 adapter to change GTO tranny to F-Body tranny, used B&M short shifter, used C5 crank pulley, B&M shifter parts.

Does this put the gto shifter straight up? If so whats the part numbers?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mdrn69velle
Does this put the gto shifter straight up? If so whats the part numbers?
Yes, those 2 things convert the GTO shifter to a standard F-body/Vette setup.

Part numbers... uhhhh... well, the shifter is just the B&M aftermarket for a vette, the adapter piece you need is a "Tremec T56 Offset Lever". No idea part number, but here is where I got it:

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/7328789.htm

(and I paid $36, dang they went up!)

If you really want to source it somewhere else, I can dig through my images at home and find the original that shows the part # on the box.. let me know.

Wallyman

p.s. on a more progress-related note the new shop/garage is well into setup. Finishing up hard line air this week! I don't think I will get back to the Miata anytime soon but getting the space usable is a huge step in the right direction. Still tons of work to do to call it "done" but so far the electrical panel is swapped out (6 usable spaces is now 18 usable spaces, 14 of them are occupied I think!) and 85% of the outlets are in, 95% of the lighting is wired (no fixtures up yet, waiting on the ceiling), 90% of the cabinets and work surfaces are done and about 50% of the general cleanup (tossing the old crap left behind by the PO and organizing my stuff) is done. Actually have both the Miata and the RX7 in there (bad optispark again, I think) and can still walk and work on the building so there is more space than last update.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Veteran

oh wallyy... we crave updates =p
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wow just read this whole thing! cant wait to see updates! dont let it die!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

bump for wally
Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Not dead.. just... sleeping

Project is not dead, but life (specifically the battle for my wife to beat stage 4 cancer diagnosed in January) takes priority. If you are so inclined, prayer is appreciated and needed.

Car sits patiently in the shop.. now 3 years since I have worked on it. Someday....
Old 04-24-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallyman
Project is not dead, but life (specifically the battle for my wife to beat stage 4 cancer diagnosed in January) takes priority. If you are so inclined, prayer is appreciated and needed.

Car sits patiently in the shop.. now 3 years since I have worked on it. Someday....
I understand and wish you both the best. The car can always wait a bit longer.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Dang man, my thoughts are with you both.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife. Hope all will turn out for the best.

Bill and Jackie
Old 07-10-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Time passes.. things change...

...so here it is July of 2016.... much time has passed since the last update, and many changes in life.

The short of it:
Daughter born March 2012 - she's a hoot & lets me play with toys again without being judged! Already got her into 3 Power Wheels and she has her own kiddie work bench.
Wife diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer January 2014 - yeah. Shitty as it gets and nothing prepares you for it. Healthy all her life, took good care of herself and she gets a death sentence at 43.
Last drive of the LT1 swapped RX7 October 2014. The wife encouraged me to take it to the track in September. High temps and now low oil pressure, it sits dormant awaiting diagnosis and repairs.
Wife loses 9 month fight November 2014 - She never stood a chance but fought regardless. Never bitter, smiling through every chemo, every hellish, awful facet of it. We miss her deeply. The day after the funeral we go from a family of 5 to just Ellie and I as her older kids are moved out of state to live with their father.
Bought Jim 'Flash' Sawyers's old car December 2014.. the infamous "ADFX" Miata that reportedly dyno'd 400+ at one point. I needed a project to focus on. It had fallen into disrepair, and the local guy I know that bought it was in over his head. Picked it up cheap, tossed a pile of cash at it and have been ragging on it since. Still rough around the edges mainly because I don't want to pull the engine right now.
Bought a '69 Mustang convertible July 2015. Always wanted one, decided to just do it. #'s matching 302 engine, Red on Red. It's loud but slow. Spent the winter 2015 swapping in a T5 & 8.8 from a 95 'Stang, along with all the usual Wally fun goodness. Full rewire, Gauges, decent stereo, 4 seat heaters, LED lighting.. it's a sweet family cruiser. Been hitting the local car shows, eating too much ice cream and just acting like a teenager.

...which brings us to spring 2016...

It is time.

The Sub was moved from her slumber at the back of the shop into the sun for the first time since November 2011.

A bit dirty, a tiny bit moldy (yeah, ugh) but intact as I left her. I blew the dust out, cleaned off mold, oiled the cylinders and cranked the motor by hand. I know that some of my plans were based on an effort to save money, and the Mustang has taught me that isn't always the right path. Sometimes the first guy down the trail is eaten by the bear and the smarter guy learns from his trials. The sway bar and the intake are two examples I am probably going to scrap and just buy the canned solutions from FM. But that's getting ahead of myself.... for now I've started inventorying the materials, and have reached out to V8R and FM to help me recreate the list of stuff I bought so long ago. The biggest challenge right now is to remember where I was, fill in the gaps that were never filled in, and identify what new options I should be embracing.

So, the plan is to spend the summer and fall doing those things.. remembering, recounting, researching, replanning. I'll be posting here as I figure out things, and certainly be new asking questions, too.

It. IS. time.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good to hear from you and great to have you back.

Sorry to hear about the wife, sounds like she was a great person and had a great attitude. Congratulations on the daughter. As you and I know first hand, life is far too short to sit around for the perfect moment to do things. I'm glad you are trying to live and enjoy yourself as best you can. It will be an excellent example for your daughter.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Hi Wally, so sorry for your loss.

I followed your lead on the bmw front sway and then had to cut the mounts apart to get the upper A-arm bolt in. Wasn't the end of the world but sucked to be in there with the saw after all the effort I put into paint. Live and learn right?

Best of luck with the sub, mine's at the tuners finally after all this time I might get to drive it next week!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default A Real Update!

First of all, I have fixed all the photos and chronicled them in a new thread in the most appropriate home: V8Miata forums. :thumbs:

http://www.v8miata.net/general-motor...-nuclear-2911/

It took the better part of 14 hours straight to upload and repath everything and create that thread from day one so there is one truly complete document.. that said I am only updating this and the LS1tech threads from today forward, I just don't have the patience to fix 335 photos x 2. So, if you want to see a historical photo, check the V8Miata thread, they are all there in the same exact order and I included the original post date as well.

Build update:

Let's see.. I'll do some quick summaries with more detail to follow perhaps tomorrow. The delay of the project has given me time to re-evaluate some concepts, given time for solutions to mature and other things to become more affordable.

Project Inventory - Took the last two weeks to open every box, and look at every part I have. Restarting a project after 5 years and a move is hard but I'm spinning up quickly.

Nose Splitter - Swiped and installed on the 94 Black-n-Tan, need to replace. Looks sweet on that car so definitely going to install on the Sub.

Car Alarm - Swiped and installed on the 94 Black-n-Tan, need to replace. Generally don't like the alarm anyhow, the remote is triggered far too often while in my pocket, so probably going to find something different.

S2000 Start Button - Going to bail on it. Time now gives me the next option, a Skyline GT-R start button. Already received the Nissan Altima version (same style and connection, just not red) with a pigtail to begin playing. Will be coupled to a proper keyless push button ignition (retaining the key), which one is TBD.

Westach Gauges - Most likely bailing on these as Speedhut has some very nice customizable CanBUS units. Will allow me to only need the fuel sending unit, everything else fed off the ECU.

Air Intake - Bailing on the CAI I was building. Concerns over clearance with the tire, plus all the crap that will get thrown on it, etc. Time have provided a cheaper alternative. Picked up a 3800 mile used 2006 Z06 intake complete for $50 shipped off eBay. Add two $25 pieces from FM and I should be able to replicate their style intake. This change means I will need to do hood pins and switch to the LS7 blade style MAF.

Hood Pins - Probably doing the set from FM. Found an identical Simpson vented hood like I have for $80 in Detroit with some fiberglass damage. Perfect for mockup of hood pins and trimming for the intake, and may be able to repair and use it, keeping my original hood intact.

Hood Lifts - Going with the I.L motorsports dual kit FM uses.

Front Sway Bar - Probably bailing on the BMW setup. Concerns over strength of the mounts, general 'hokey-ness' and the FM solution is fully vetted now. FM Sway ordered and received. Already have the HD sway mounts.

Fuel System - Probably bailing on the DIY solution from tank to engine bay. FM Fuel Kit ordered and received. May use the line I bought in place of the AN braided in the FM kit, not sure yet. More on that as I install it.

AC System - Bailed on DIY setup, bought and received the FM kit.

Cooling Overflow - Going with the Canton aluminum unit.

Washer Fluid Bottle - Going with the Cappuccino unit.

Coil/Fuel Rail/Engine Covers - Going with stock Holden Commodore VZ units. Look like the GTO units but read "6.0 / Gen-4" instead. Still working on an overall color scheme.

Engine Wiring - My pullout harness is incomplete. I only have 2 of 3 connectors for the ECU, and am missing the BCM and throttle pedal harness. Questions over the ability to do cruise, the need for additional wires/plugs and a desire to have the cleanest install possible led me to choose Hot Rod Therapy. They are a reseller for PSI harnesses, and is the supplier for the cruise control system FM sells. I have spoken with Adam at length (very helpful) and we've come up with the plan, more later.

Cruise Control - Going with the Hot Rod Therapy unit. Uncertainty about the ability to recreate GTO cruise led me to this decision.

Power Windows - Was going with a DEI module (535T) to eliminate motor load in the switches. After discussion with Adam @ Hot Rod Thereapy, may attempt control via GTO BCM.

Power Locks - Was going with a DEI module (451M) to eliminate need for two large relays. After discussion with Adam @ Hot Rod Thereapy, may attempt control via GTO BCM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Taking a break from the vacation at Great Wolf Lodge to post a little update...

Build Update:

Parts Arrived
CAI - My ~3800 mile '06 Z06 intake assembly arrived. Looks good and low mileage.. and farking HUGE, I didn't get how big it really is since the width of it is usually hidden behind the bumper. I did a little giggle and maniacal laugh when I pulled it out of the box.

MAF - Brand new GM 5 wire blade MAF arrived, sealed and pretty.

Fuse Block Pins - Got the DelCity and TE/AMP units, work great to add wires to the existing Miata cabin fuse block with simple mods (more info here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=615784). Will allow me to utilize the stock 6 fuse positions currently unoccupied. Very happy.

Radiator Overflow - Canton aluminum tank arrived, slight issue with the lower mount but I think a little heat and plier treatment will fix it up.

Parts Ordered & Already Arrived

T56 right angle backup switch - picked this up from another thread, gives more clearance in the tunnel. Instead of connecting right to the switch, this unit has a pigtail at a right angle. Should really help.

Bling - Ordered up the factory Roadster badge, not 100% sure if I am going to use it until I can mock it up. It is pretty sharp looking, but I haven't finalized the overall look of the exterior so not sure if it fits or not.

Power Stuff - Rear main fuse block - Ordered up a 93-95 FD RX7 battery mounted fuse block. Going to put in the trunk with the battery (battery TBD - debate on that here: http://www.v8miata.net/v8-miata-wiri...endation-2917/).

Power Stuff - Front fuse block - Ordered up what appears to be the last in existence NOS 88-92 FC RX7 underhood fuse block, which will be going underhood to replace the Miata one but with modified mounts. I already had one of these from a previous parts FC, but it was pretty beat up. Landed another one from a junkyard for $5 this week too, but again, not in great shape.

Power Stuff - Feed cables - Ordered up a bunch of high strand count wire in 2 AWG, 6 AWG and 8 AWG (battery to fuses, alternator, starter).

Parts Ordered

CAI - Ordered up the FM cut-in piece and deflector, should be the last major pieces needed to make the Z06 CAI work.

Stand Alone Harness - Paid Hot Rod Therapy (who is supplying the PSI unit) for the E40 GTO LS2 harness, using 5 wire blade MAF, 2 fan relays and the starter relay.

Cruise control - coupled with the harness I bought the Hot Rod Therapy cruise solution, which allows me to use all stock Mazda control pieces and the GTO engine pieces. Need to ship parts to Adam so he can calibrate them as a system.

Fuel Rail Covers (engine covers, coil covers) - Ordered up a set of Holden Commodore L76 covers from Australia. No "GTO" for me, looking forward to seeing "6.0" and "Gen-4" under the hood! Still working on the color scheme under the hood.. going to be a mix of silver, black, carbon fiber and black but not sure how each piece will look. Once I get these I can do some mock up.

Power Stuff - SPDT Relays - Also ordered up (10) 40A weatherproof relay sockets and SPDT relays. Not sure how many or where the relays are going to go, still working that out. I'm still drawing up the whole plan.

So the current questions I am struggling with:
  • Which battery to use - leaning towards Odyssey and probably the PC1200 (or maybe PC925)
  • How many and where to mount underhood relays - I think it's Headlights, Headlight retractors, Horn, Driving Lights. Cooling fans should be part of the PSI harness. Fuel pump relay will be moved to the trunk so I can feed it with a 10 AWG right off the rear fuse holder.
  • Oil Cooler Thermostat - suggested by acedeuce802. Need to look at hose routing and figure out where to put one, but I believe right front wheel well right before the cooler or perhaps left side where the lines route towards it. The oil cooler/remote filter are all -6 AN so shouldn't be difficult to fit it in.
  • Research as to how much of the GTO BCM I can utilize for Miata body crap.. locks, windows, alarm, RKE, who knows what all goodness lurks beneath it's dull gray exterior. I need to pour over the mitchell wiring diagrams and do some testing once it all is here. Aside from the LS2, this is the one thing that I am most excited about right now..

Also, my Shop Camera bit the dust (well, more accurately bit the concrete - oops!) so that is why my photos are lagging right now. Boogered up the focus system so it can't anymore, and blurry shots of an CAI aren't very fun. I have a replacement, just need to get it talking to my PC and start uploading photos.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Some Photos

Some Photos of the stuff previously mentioned...

Dead Center - Box and Switch
T56 right angle backup switch - picked this up from another thread, gives more clearance in the tunnel. Instead of connecting right to the switch, this unit has a pigtail at a right angle. Should really help.

Bottom Left - Bag, Block and Lid
Power Stuff - Rear main fuse block - Ordered up a 93-95 FD RX7 battery mounted fuse block. Going to put in the trunk with the battery (battery TBD - debate on that here: http://www.v8miata.net/v8-miata-wiri...endation-2917/).

Upper Left - two used blocks
Upper Right - New lid (spare)
Lower Right - Lid, Block & Bag
Power Stuff - Front fuse block - Ordered up what appears to be the last in existence NOS 88-92 FC RX7 underhood fuse block, which will be going underhood to replace the Miata one but with modified mounts. I already had one of these from a previous parts FC, but it was pretty beat up. Landed another one from a junkyard for $5 this week too, but again, not in great shape.

Top Left - 2AWG
Top Right - 8AWG
Bottom Left - 6AWG
Power Stuff - Feed cables - Ordered up a bunch of high strand count wire in 2 AWG, 6 AWG and 8 AWG (battery to fuses, alternator, starter).

Quick Reply: The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata