Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please clean up that spot where you clearanced for the oil hoses. seems so off with how good the rest of it is looking.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another place that I have been using
http://tubesnhoses.com/

http://www.tubesnhoses.com/Catalogs/ORI%20ACCatWeb.pdf

Last edited by Schitzo; 03-21-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Guess I should have followed your link. I have been on the phone with Docsblocks since I to Im trying to get my a/c done and need to figure out how to marry the GM parts with BMW parts. I will follow your progress on this.

Looks like I will mostly braze the various fittings together.
Didn't see a phone #, so opted for email...

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
please clean up that spot where you clearanced for the oil hoses. seems so off with how good the rest of it is looking.
Heh, nice. I'll clean it all up eventually.. as they say "it's going to get worse before it gets better"

Originally Posted by Schitzo
I've heard of those guys... I'll check the website.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Build Update:
Parts Recieved - Some stuff arrived:

Oil Pressure Senders
3x -3AN to NPT fittings for the oil pressure senders

Adjustable End Links
The end link stuff was ordered wrong, sent it back and ordered the right stuff. Dammit. New ones showed up today, look good!

True Cold Air Intake
4.00" T-Bolt clamp (inlet of MAF)
4.25" T-bolt isolation mount (near filter)
4.50" T-bolt clamp (in case 4.25" is too small)
3.5" stainless steel joiner tube (at filter)

Fuel System
2.25" T-bolt isolation mount (for fuel filter or fuel pump)
2.50" T-bolt clamp (in case 2.25" is too small)

Parts Bought - Bought/Ordered a slew of stuff:

Radiator Hoses
Upper Radiator Hose - WP side - Dayco B70989
Upper Radiator Hose - Rad side - Dayco C70687
Lower Radiator Hose - Dayco 70690

Oil Cooler
2x Aluminum -8AN 90* elbow to push-on hose

True Cold Air Intake
K&N RU-5114 filter
K&N CM-4508DK pre-filter 'sock'

Air Conditioning
GM 5.3L Compressor Block - Suction side - AA2209
GM 5.3L Compressor Block - Discharge side - AA2210
STANDARD DIMENSION OEM AIR CONDITIONING HOSE Size: -8 (13/32" ID) - AT012
REDUCED DIMENSION OEM AIR CONDITIONING HOSE Size: -10 (1/2" ID) - AT010
STANDARD DIMENSION OEM AIR CONDITIONING HOSE Size: -6 (5/16" ID) - AT013
FITTING-45 DEG FEMALE FLARE (FF)-ALUMINUM 7/8"-14 THRD #10 FITTING #10 HOSE -BLA1113
FITTING-STRAIGHT FEMALE O-RING (FOR) WITH SWITCH OR SERVICE PORT-ALUMINUM 5/8" - 18" THRD #6 FITTING #6 HOSE 3/16" R12 - BLA1301-2
FITTING-STRAIGHT FEMALE O-RING (FOR) WITH SWITCH OR SERVICE PORT-ALUMINUM 7/8" -14" THRD #10 FITTING #10 HOSE 16MM R134 - BLA1303-9
FITTING-45 DEGREE FEMALE O-RING (FOR) WITH SWITCH OR SERVICE PORT-ALUMINUM 5/8"- 18 THRD #6 FITTING #6 HOSE 16MM R134 - BLA1311-3
FITTING-90 DEG FEMALE FLARE (FF) -ALUMINUM 3/4"-16 THRD #8 FITTING #8 HOSE - BLA1122
FITTING-STRAIGHT FEMALE FLARE (FF)-ALUMINUM 3/4"-16 THRD #8 FITTING #8 HOSE - BLA1102
Discharge sealing washer, #8 - AC0142
Suction sealing washer, #10 - AC0141

Radiator Hoses - I was not liking how the hoses Flyin Miata supplied with the radiator fit. They were close, but not close enough for my tastes. Spent some time behind the counter at Autozone and came up with a 99.9% perfect fit for the lower and a nice fit for the upper with a splice. Had to cut down the splice tube they included in the radiator kit to half length. Photos coming on those, I'll try and compare mine to theirs for reference. Left the thermostat housing pointing towards the frame rail.

Oil Cooler - Went with aluminum fittings to match the male -8AN fittings that were put on the cooler. Picked it up from the blacksmith, good job as always.

True Cold Air intake - Went with a 3.5" inlet, 5" diameter, 6" long K&N with the pre-filter. Should be located in the wheel well in front of the driver's side tire. Will be taking some thin aluminum or plastic or something to rig up a splash shield to protect it from tire splash.

Fuel System - Bought a couple of straps for either the fuel filter or the fuel pump (if I use the inline Pierburg).. figured for the low price might as well grab them from siliconeintakes when I bought the straps I needed for the TCAI.

Air Conditioning - Spent some time sorting out the AC system. Called Docs Blocks (phone number is on the Stark Mfg. website, their parent company) and talked to them about the peices I need. Did a bunch of research, and came up with the list above. It should be close, if not accurate. Hard to tell lengths of various fittings so some of the ends might have to be switched out to 45's or 90's as needed. Regardless I learned something:

Noob Hint - If you intend on using the '06 GTO AC control like I do, make sure you get the pressure switch with your pullout! That little ****** is $120+ new from GM. It is located on one of the lines, so make sure to grab that piece as well. It is a variable resistor, not just a simple analog switch so you need the correct one for the GTO system, I think.

Also, I have a better idea of what makes up the Mazda AC system. It appears to be all standard fittings. Based on my measurements, here is what I think it is for the Denso 10S17F compressor from the GMPP CTS accessory setup combined with the Mazda system (starting at the discharge port on the compressor) :

Denso 10S17F Compressor discharge port
#8 compressor discharge to condensor
Condensor (stock Mazda)
#6 condensor to accumulator (remains stock Mazda)
Accumulator (stock Mazda)
#6 accumulator to evaporator, with high side pressure switch and high side test port
Evaporator
#10 evaporator to compressor suction, with low side test port
Compressor suction port

I have some sketches I made, I may snap photos of them when I piece the hoses together. If you intend on using the BMW E36 sway bar, relocation of the sway mounts puts them very close to the compressor so routing becomes trickier. I think discharge will go down and back, and suction will go up.. but regardless there will be some modification of the compressor block lines to make it work. I went with hoses for everything instead of hard line so routing is easier.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

updates?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

updates?
Sadly, working too much lately and dealing with other issues (spring yard cleanup took over the weekend and the RX7 is puking oil everywhere to the point of leaving a puddlle.. oh the fun)

Build Update:

True Cold Air intake - Filter and filter sock came in, ordered a 24" 3.5" tube to extend the filter a little away from the frame rail.

Air Conditioning - Every single part was wrong for one reason or another. The Miata stuff is NOT standard #6, #8, #10 stuff as far as I can tell. Trying to reach Docs Blocks to get an RMA and discussion fitting options with them. Maybe they offer some Mazda-compatible parts, who knows.

Oil Cooler - -8AN elbows came in, so I can mock that up anytime (anytime I find time, that is).

That's about all. I don't expect to put much of any time in between now and May 5th or so, work has a lot of deadlines and putting in very long days. So... that sucks.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been bad, I know.. neglecting my vehicular duties! Worked a 64 hour week in 5 days last week (and I left at noon on Friday, jezzzz), but managed to find some time to work on the car (finally) this weekend. I think work is going to slack up (thanks to a seriously kickass group of coworkers that knuckled down and put in the hours with me - they rock!!). So, I hope to get back on track.

Build Update:

Air Conditioning - This is really kicking my ****. I called Doc's Blocks, and they said if I can provide measurements they can probably help me out.. so I'm going to get it all drawn up and emailed over to them. I finally said screw it and moved ahead with the rest of the build. I should be able to create some custom solution to work around the mounts and whatnot.

Parts Photos - Various bits.... first up we have adjustable end links, the boxes for the -8an weld on aluminum fittings, 3.5" coupler (didn't need) and some t-bolt clamps with straps.

Next up, all the AC parts from DocsBlocks that were wrong.. (except maybe the hose), a couple of -8an 90* elbows for the oil cooler, three -3an to NPT fittings for oil pressure sending units and the repaired oil cooler.

K&N Filter with pre-filter sock.

E36 Sway Bar - Done. Mounts are welded in (the outer side anyhow, inner will be done once the engine is out of the way).

ACTION SHOT! Wally with a Welder!

ARTISTIC SHOT! Finished welding, passenger side ready to be grinded and driver's side done. Almost ready to weld in...

ANOTHER ACTION SHOT! Wally with a Grinder!

Welded in.. sway bolted up:

I modified the driver side, since I moved the filter forward it left an ugly gap so I reworked it and weded in a piece.

True Cold Air intake - DONE. Had to rotate it towards the front of the car to clear the wheel (seemed like a good idea, heh). Cut the 24" tube down to a 6" piece, still a shade long but allows for some adjustment in the placement once everything in put all back together.

Here it is, removed, viewed from the front of the car:

From the rear:

I don't have a good shot of it in the car yet, forgot to put it back after welding in the sway mounts... I'll get one, though.

Oil Cooler - Mocked up, 98% done. Need to finish the mounting on the cooler, but otherwise complete. I used a ton of hose, almost 13' of it. Hose routing:

Engine out to filter in
Filter out to cooler in
Cooler out to engine in

At the filter (note cool sharpie drawing of the routing "O" out to "I" in):

At the cooler:

Cooler toward engine:

At the engine:

Need to finish some hose mounts.. plan to tie off to the block above the oil pan, to the driver's side sway mount/frame rail, and to the passenger sway mount. Hose routing notes:

From pan, over the steering shaft, behind alternator, up to filter.
From filter, down behind alternator, over steering shaft, parallel to the rack to the passenger side, routing between the tubes of the subframe, under the upper control arm and forward to the cooler.
From cooler back the same way as the 'from filter hose'.

Adjustable Spherical End Links - Mostly done. Need to finalize the lengths. I was going to order up stainless spacers, but couldn't find a good place or price to get them so went with some steel tubing and Grade 8 bolts.

A bunch of Grade 8 stuff, with the end links.. the short bolts in the middle are for the sway mounts.

You can see the mounts in some of the other pictures above.. still working on the top spacers, put in .75" worth of washers for now. Pretty sure I am going to slim that down some based on the angles on the sway bar ends, and use some of that steel tubing like I did on the lower. Better shots coming of this once it's squared away.

That's all for this weekend, more to come this week!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Staging Troll

love seeing new shiney parts!!.. getting closer!!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

looks awesome wally
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

swapped miatas are always fun
Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the oil cooler, I may have to do that on a future project...

I hate when work gets in the way of my car habit.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are patient & organized. Doing a great job. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

you alive wally?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

you alive wally?
Sorry all, been real busy (got engaged, summer is here, built a treehouse for future step-kids, etc). Summer is real busy, have a vacation with the fiance' and her kids planned for late July, plus all the usual weekend and weeknight activities that are enjoyable in Michigan when it's not snowing. Unfortuantely, I've got to get the tranny swapped out in the truck before winter as well, so that takes time away too. Then there is prepping a couple of houses for sale... weeee!

Car is on temporary hold until time frees up, likely fall/winter. It's still going to be finished and is sitting in the same state it was in mid-April. Purely a function of time, so as things settle out come late fall and winter, I'll get back at it. The RX7 is being driven (and still pisses oil and vibrates like a cheap motel bed on overdrive) so I am getting my top-down time in with that at least.

Stay subscribed, updates will flow as the work resumes...

Walyman
Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wallyman
Sorry all, been real busy (got engaged, summer is here, built a treehouse for future step-kids, etc). Summer is real busy, have a vacation with the fiance' and her kids planned for late July, plus all the usual weekend and weeknight activities that are enjoyable in Michigan when it's not snowing. Unfortuantely, I've got to get the tranny swapped out in the truck before winter as well, so that takes time away too. Then there is prepping a couple of houses for sale... weeee!

Car is on temporary hold until time frees up, likely fall/winter. It's still going to be finished and is sitting in the same state it was in mid-April. Purely a function of time, so as things settle out come late fall and winter, I'll get back at it. The RX7 is being driven (and still pisses oil and vibrates like a cheap motel bed on overdrive) so I am getting my top-down time in with that at least.

Stay subscribed, updates will flow as the work resumes...

Walyman
haha its all good wally. congrats!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

coming along very nicely! looking forward to more updates!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm looking forward to updates too.. right now, all I got is this:

Got married.

Baby on the way.

Selling house.

So, we'll see how quickly I get back to this. Project is being labelled, tagged, and boxed for moving in the (hopefully) near future. Lots of maintenance projects between now and snow, so doubtful I make any measureable progress other than getting it ready to relocate if/when my house sells. Truck is getting a replacement tranny, RX7 needs brakes and exhaust repairs (then storage all too soon), winter beater needs struts, brakes and some other maintenance work.. plus my real job which is still busy.... oh, and the wife, her 2 kids, etc etc.

The wife has vowed that this project will be resumed, and I am sure she meant it. The future familial home is going to have a larger dedicated space (20/24/28 x 40/48 pole barn) for car projects and we are actively shopping for places now in the hope my house gets an offer quickly. We shall see, I have faith that things are heading the right direction..

Updates will follow!
Wallyman
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Staging Troll

Originally Posted by Wallyman
I'm looking forward to updates too.. right now, all I got is this:

Got married.

Baby on the way.

Selling house.

So, we'll see how quickly I get back to this. Project is being labelled, tagged, and boxed for moving in the (hopefully) near future. Lots of maintenance projects between now and snow, so doubtful I make any measureable progress other than getting it ready to relocate if/when my house sells. Truck is getting a replacement tranny, RX7 needs brakes and exhaust repairs (then storage all too soon), winter beater needs struts, brakes and some other maintenance work.. plus my real job which is still busy.... oh, and the wife, her 2 kids, etc etc.

The wife has vowed that this project will be resumed, and I am sure she meant it. The future familial home is going to have a larger dedicated space (20/24/28 x 40/48 pole barn) for car projects and we are actively shopping for places now in the hope my house gets an offer quickly. We shall see, I have faith that things are heading the right direction..

Updates will follow!
Wallyman
good to hear your keeping the toys!. hopefully everything goes good for you, good luck!!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default And winter comes...

Update:

Family - It's a girl! We are about half way to delivery (due around March 23), all is well with mom and baby.. no name picked yet. She is growing well and we are excited!

Selling house - Mine is sale pending! Just waiting on paperwork.. inspections done, FHA appraisal done, closing should be no later than Nov 21, have 7 days to vacate. Lost my *** on it, too.. the market really is as bad as they say. 7 years of equity, $23k in purchase principal, $14k in improvements.. all gone (and this is on a $130k house!!!). It's beyond comprehension.

Buying house - Deal # 1 fell through on account of failed inspections (bad electrical panel and bad chimney). Had a nice 30x40x10 finished garage complete with a 100a/220v service, gas fired heater, insulated and drywalled. Oh, there was a house there too. So, we walked on it since we don't want to die in a house fire (and the seller hasn't heard it's a buyers market, they refused to chip in $ to get the house sold). We were 1 day from it being ours on paper and they refused, so we walked and 4 hours later had a signed deal on the next place!

Deal #2 is better logistically, keeps her kids in their schools which saves stress for them, etc. 2500 sqft 4 bed/2 bath house with nice sized attached 2 stall, and Garage-Mahal is better also.. 28'w x 58'd x 10'h stick built with frost walls and full concrete floor. Woodstove chimney, 200v electric (60a tho, may have to upsize) and enough room to park 8 cars in it... it's bloody huge! Inspections are done, FHA appraisal is done (waiting on results), hope to close same day as the sale of my house on Nov 21 if we can swing it. Would be moving Thanksgiving week. Garage-Mahal going from 529 sqft to 1624 sqft is awesome, I feel like I am finally a big boy! It is open stud walls and ceiling so I can finish it out as I see fit.. air, power, heat, etc. The first deal was finished which was both good and bad, I would have had to fish walls, etc. This place is a clean slate for my desires. LOVE IT!

Miata - Put rotors and tires on it to prep it for moving. Will be hauling it on a 22' trailer, need to get parts back in/on it to do it. Hardtop, hood, seats and dash, etc. Just going to fill it up and roll it on the trailer, basically.

Truck - Finally found the tranny, got it installed.. and they changed the hydraulics ever so slightly during the years (so slight they look the same but the port is a different size) so I had a hell of a time converting a 1990 to a 1995 setup. Why convert? because it's a hydraulic slave and the other option was to pull the tranny again.. screw that! Still not done and have bleeding issues. PITA. At least it is driveable to move, I guess. Just have to pump 20 times to shift.

Grand Am - My winter beater got new struts and new front brakes in prep for winter.. and the next day the tranny starts shuddering and mis-shifting..

I tell ya, Cars, what fun!

I'll be taking pics as the move approaches and happens.. more to follow!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Wow that is a lot going on. Would love to see Pix of the garage-mahal

Quick Reply: The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata