Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Today I tore my LQ9 down to install the new LS7 lifters. What I found was that the new lifters were absolutely identical to the old lifters. Same dimensions, and same appearance. This may explain the .130" preload that was measured in my stock LQ9. If LS2/LS7 lifters are .050" taller in the the plunger cup area than the old LS lifters as is often said and they did not install shorter pushrods in these motors to compensate, then we can expect all 2004 and newer LQ9s to have around .130" preload. So does this mean that all 2004 and newer LS motors have the same .130" preload from the factory? Or, did they start putting shorter pushrods in the newer motors? It would be nice to know these answers.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Old School Heavy

I disassembled the lifters out of the engine. The only thing that I saw that might explain the noise was the small amount of tar sludge in the very bottom of the lifter body and inside the piston/plunger body. Perhaps this stuff was moving around and gumming up the works.

The good news is that the roller tips and the cam lobes all looked perfect. This does not surprise me because when I cut open the oil filter, it was clean as a whistle inside.

The lifters are soaking, so next time I have some extra time I will start re-assembly.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck getting rid of the noise?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by TurboLark
Any luck getting rid of the noise?
I haven't worked on it since I tore it down. I received my rockers today. So, when I get a little extra time, I will re-assemble it. After spending every evening and weekend at my friends shop for two months, I got a little burnt out on it. Now that it is in my garage at home, I can work on it at my own pace which is nice.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Now that it is in my garage at home, I can work on it at my own pace which is nice.
The exact reason I love having my own shop, work at my pace for five minutes or five hours. No one can complain and I don't have to coordinate with anyone else - AND I always know where all the tools are.

I can't way to see why you had lifter noise. Hopefully it's eliminated soon.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I can't way to see why you had lifter noise. Hopefully it's eliminated soon.
I put the lifters and the trays in today, but I could not put the heads on because I was out of brake cleaner to clean the deck and the head gasket surfaces. Over the course of this week, I will likely have it back on the road.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you reusing the head gaskets or will you replace them?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Are you reusing the head gaskets or will you replace them?
I bought new ones.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Howzit coming along?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by TurboLark
Howzit coming along?
My new rocker trunions are on the way from Comp Cams. When they get here I will put it back together. I have been really busy with work, so I had not thought about it much, but I am starting to miss cruising.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Great thread! I read all of it the other day, and just now got a chance to post!!! Good luck finishing it up.

I wanted to point out something I read,

You don't have to have a return line or an external regulator. I chose to do it for 2 reasons.
1. Return systems keep the fuel in the line fresh and will keep the fuel cooler to eliminate the possibility of vapor lock in the hot Florida summers.
2. Return systems can deliver more fuel. The reason is the regulator is next to the carb. This allows me to turn the internal regulator inside the pump up to maximum. So, the pump will be able to raise the entire line pressure to deliver more fuel through the same sized fuel line at peak demand.

Oh, and one more potential benefit. If I ever decide to go fuel injection, the return line is already plumbed.
Return systems keep the fuel in the line fresh and will keep the fuel cooler
Actually the reason the auto industry went returnless was emissions, the idea is that when you are running fuel all the way to the engine then sending the unused fuel back to the tank, it gets heated up at the engine then sent back to the tank hot, which heats the fuel in the tank. Hot fuel gives off more HC emissions then cold fuel.

Return systems can deliver more fuel.
I can see the idea behind this, but unless you were exceeding the limits of your pump your not going to drop below your regulators specified pressure, the regulator will maintain specified fuel pressure as long as your pump can supply it.

With that second one its hard to put what i am thinking into words, but i can tell you, that when Porsche (what i work on everyday) went returnless the fuel lines remained the same size, including the Turbo/GT3 variants. Not to mention that I have never seen/heard any mention of that as a downside of returnless in any of my training.

Mark
Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Marky522
With that second one its hard to put what i am thinking into words, but i can tell you, that when Porsche (what i work on everyday) went returnless the fuel lines remained the same size, including the Turbo/GT3 variants. Not to mention that I have never seen/heard any mention of that as a downside of returnless in any of my training.

Mark
That is interesting stuff Mark. I was surprised to see that manufacturers are going the way of returnless systems. I never considered the emissions angle.

As far as my return system, my car is carbureted. Carbureted cars in the Florida heat can vapor lock badly due to the needle and seat system on the fuel bowls. In fact, my factory set up would vapor lock almost every time on the first pass before the car had a chance to cool from the trip to the track.

In the old days, you would see fuel "cool cans" everywhere at the drag strip in an effort to alleviate this problem. For me, the return system was a great way to assure this would never happen without using an ugly cool can or chasing ice.

I can see the idea behind this, but unless you were exceeding the limits of your pump your not going to drop below your regulators specified pressure, the regulator will maintain specified fuel pressure as long as your pump can supply it.
This is not quite correct. Having the regulator at the end of the run assures two things. More constant fuel pressure and more potential volume. The reason is simple. If you put more force behind the fuel, it will overcome the resistance of distance and the bends in the fuel line. You can get more fuel through any given fuel line at 14psi than you can at 6 psi. So, you push the fuel to the front of the car at 14psi, then you reduce it to 6psi.

Last edited by speedtigger; 06-18-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Old School Heavy

I received and installed my replacement Comp Cams trunion kit. The rockers are perfect now. So, I have everything to put my car back together. If I can get caught up with all my work, I will put it back together this weekend.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Old School Heavy

I found a little extra time tonight and I started to put my car back together only to find I am 1 head gasket short. When the GM parts driver dropped it off, he told our office girl there were two head gasket per package. Well, there isn't. So, now I have all my parts prepped and ready to go and only 1 head gasket on a holiday weekend.

Last edited by speedtigger; 07-01-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. That seems to have been my luck during this entire process. Advance Auto sells the same gasket but it is more expensive. They are all made by Fel-Pro. Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a little extra time tonight and I started to put my car back together only to find I am 1 head gasket short. When the GM parts driver dropped it off, he told our office girl there were two head gasket per package. Well, there isn't. So, now I have all my parts prepped and ready to go and only 1 head gasket on a holiday weekend.

Hmm....that kind'a sounds like "the dog ate my homework" to me. You sure this 100* heat did'nt have something to do with the head gasket getting "lost", LOL. "get ur done". Ron
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by rojs234
Hmm....that kind'a sounds like "the dog ate my homework" to me. You sure this 100* heat did'nt have something to do with the head gasket getting "lost", LOL. "get ur done". Ron
Can you say air conditioned garage? Me neither.

Actually I found a Chevy dealer open today. So I am going to step out at lunch and pick one up.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Working on a car seems to come in fits and starts (and stops). They can sit for months with nothing done and then get lots done in hours.

Last night, for the first time, I took my car to our local car show/hangout . It is finally on the road. I bought/started working on this car in July of 2009.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Old School Heavy

Well, I drove 20 miles down to the big Chevy warehouse only to have the counter man tell me that the computer showed they had a 12589227 head gasket, but it is not on the shelf. I was a little displeased with him so he sold me a pair of 12610046 head gaskets at cost. I paid $50.25 for the pair. So, now I have an extra 12589227 head gasket.

Last edited by speedtigger; 07-02-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Well, I drove 20 miles down to the big Chevy warehouse only to have the counter man tell me that the computer showed they had a 12589227 head gasket, but it is not on the shelf. I was a little displeased with him so he sold me a pair of 12610046 head gaskets at cost. I paid $50.25 for the pair. So, now I have an extra 12589227 head gasket.
At least he had a pair and gave it to you at cost.

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread