Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the front end sit with this motor compared to the 300?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLark
How does the front end sit with this motor compared to the 300?
I can't be sure yet. I still have to install the bumper, grille, lights and hood. Also, I have quite a bit of stuff in the trunk right now. It would have been all done for sure this weekend, but I have to work today. So, it will be sometime between now and next weekend it should be mostly done.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

cough...cough...boss..i dont think i can make it in today...cough..sneeze
Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by TurboLark
cough...cough...boss..i dont think i can make it in today...cough..sneeze
Well, I am a small business owner and the bosses are my clients. So, no faking being sick for me.

I managed to sneak in a little work this weekend. So I knocked out these items:
  • install the fuel pump relay
  • wire up all the gauges
  • wire the console and put it back together

I still have to:
  • install the fan controller
  • fabricate fan mount brackets
  • finish installing the urethane body bushings
  • finish assemble the front sheet metal, lights, grille and bumper

Then, I can take her down the street.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Well, I am a small business owner and the bosses are my clients. So, no faking being sick for me.

I managed to sneak in a little work this weekend. So I knocked out these items:
  • install the fuel pump relay
  • wire up all the gauges
  • wire the console and put it back together

I still have to:
  • install the fan controller
  • fabricate fan mount brackets
  • finish installing the urethane body bushings
  • finish assemble the front sheet metal, lights, grille and bumper

Then, I can take her down the street.
I know how that is. When I have my cell phone I'm at work...thats 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Own my biz as well.

Nice work..getting so close.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Old School Heavy

I installed the painless wiring fan controller today. I have to say, I am very pleased with the product. Well designed, easy to install, extremely versatile and best of all, works perfect.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Old School Heavy

After a year of planning and nearly 2 months of wrenching evenings and weekends, the car will be pretty much done today. I have to swap out the UMI rear control arm braces for the Edelbrock units and do a little welding on the tailpipes and then I can drive her home. I am excited and a little nervous.

Last edited by speedtigger; 05-13-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. Congrats man, what a feeling that must be. I was stoked when I pulled off an engine swap...you must be beside yourself right now.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Pictures and video coming soon I hope.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Old School Heavy

I drove it home from the shop today. The experience was great on many levels with a few things that are problems. First I have to say that the car is awesome. I have never driven a car this fast that was this tight. Most cars that I have driven that were this fast were racecars full of squeaks and rattles. Not the case here.

The power is instant and everywhere. From a 35 MPH roll in 2nd gear the car will go sideways unless the utmost care is taken to bring the throttle in slow. As it accelerates, it pulls harder and harder til' it hits the MSD's factory 5500rpm preset rev limiter.

On the down side, there are two problems that have to be addressed. First and foremost, there is an extraordinary amount of valvetrain noise. The valvetrain is quiet at idle but as soon as the RPMs get above 1000, the valve trains becomes extremely noisy.

The 2nd problem is the car idles terrible. The car is responsive and runs excellent above an idle, but the idle itself is erratic and fussy. I am hoping some carb love will straiten this out. If not, I will be looking for vacuum leaks as a possible explanation/solution.

Overall, I have gotten a glimpse of what I have created and it is truly extraordinary. I look forward to resolving these problems so I can enjoy my new street stormer.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Teching In

Default Rocker Noise

I drove it home from the shop today. The experience was great on many levels with a few things that are problems. First I have to say that the car is awesome. I have never driven a car this fast that was this tight. Most cars that I have driven that were this fast were racecars full of squeaks and rattles. Not the case here.

The power is instant and everywhere. From a 35 MPH roll in 2nd gear the car will go sideways unless the utmost care is taken to bring the throttle in slow. As it accelerates, it pulls harder and harder til' it hits the MSD's factory 5500rpm preset rev limiter.

On the down side, there are two problems that have to be addressed. First and foremost, there is an extraordinary amount of valvetrain noise. The valvetrain is quiet at idle but as soon as the RPMs get above 1000, the valve trains becomes extremely noisy.

The 2nd problem is the car idles terrible. The car is responsive and runs excellent above an idle, but the idle itself is erratic and fussy. I am hoping some carb love will straiten this out. If not, I will be looking for vacuum leaks as a possible explanation/solution.

Overall, I have gotten a glimpse of what I have created and it is truly extraordinary. I look forward to resolving these problems so I can enjoy my new street stormer.
Do you think the rocker covers could be amplifing the noise?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Old School Heavy

I think it is a lifter preload problem. I am going to increase the lifter preload and I will report back.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am at .065" preload and hope that will be enough. Do you remember what your preload was set at? It was recommended to me to run 7.450" long push rods as my base circle was smaller on the new cam versus the original cam.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

I think it is a lifter preload problem. I am going to increase the lifter preload and I will report back.
How do you plan to do that? Get longer pushrods?

Glad to see you get to drive it finally!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you're finally down to the fun part. RIPPIN' IT!! I finally wound up with an almost identical set up as yours. LS2, unported #243 ZO6 heads, same cam, RPM intake, 200-4R, 3000 stall, 4.10 gears, 28" tires. My driving impressions are the same as yours. Don't know if it helps, but I run 7.4 Comp pushrods and valvetrain is very quiet. My heads are NOT milled and I run the newer Fel-Pro .053 head gaskets. As far as the suspected vacuum leak....I hate to even admit this, because I'm probably the only guy on the planet to have missed this. When I first fired the engine, it idled kind of like you described. I messed with it a day or two....kept suspecting a vacuum leak. Standing there, looking at it...scratching my head...noticed the small threaded hole where some install the MSD box...surely that's a blind threaded hole. Took a piece of welding rod...stuck it in clear to the bottom of the runner. Put 10:32 screw in...PROBLEM SOLVED. In my defence I have an aluminum plate under the carb where my pressure regulator is mounted. Made it harder to notice. Have fun, Ron
Old 05-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by rojs234
kept suspecting a vacuum leak. Standing there, looking at it...scratching my head...noticed the small threaded hole where some install the MSD box...surely that's a blind threaded hole. Took a piece of welding rod...stuck it in clear to the bottom of the runner. Put 10:32 screw in...PROBLEM SOLVED.
Well Ron, that was exactly it. I knew as soon as I opened the hood because the area around that screw hole was discolored. One 10/32 later and the car idles nicely.

As for valve train clatter, the search for a solution continues. I have tried all different sized pushrods including 7.4 and the noise level remains the same. It is quiet at an idle but anything like a cruising speed and she just taps away like an old solid cam adjusted loose. I find it quite annoying when I am trying to cruise.

On a happy note, this **** flies! Now I am going to plug that laptop into the MSD, set the timing curves and bump the rev limiter up to 6500.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Old School Heavy

I adjusted the timing curve and bumped the rev limiter up to 6500. Wow!
I must say thank goodness for rev limiters. Here is a pic of the engine bay all done except for a little harness and loom work:
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-swapcomplete-small.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine bay looks great! Again nice job on the entire build!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

exciting times! I feel the same way about the L92 we just installed. It is a rocket ship compared to the mild 454.
Tom
Old 05-14-2011, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to ask something simple...so dont be offended please.
You torqued the rocker bolts right? No just adjusted like the early smallblocks. Trying to run thru possibilities to the noise.

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread