Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage question...

Hated to do it but I finally had to put my LS7 powered '57 away for the winter. This is my first time storing it for the winter and I'm wondering what the proper storage procedure should be, especially concerning the fuel system. Is it best to have a full fuel tank or nearly empty and should I put Sta-Bil in it and run it for a while to get the Sta-bil to the injectors? I have 92 octane gas in it without ethanol if that makes a difference. The car is in my heated shop so the fuel will not get extremely cold.

In addition to the fuel, should I run it occassionally so the ECM doesn't lose it's "memory"? I keep a Battery Tender on it so I don't need to run it to keep the battery charged.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always put sta-bil in my SS and keep a battery tender on it. I usually start it every two weeks just to keep things lubricated, but that's just me. It sits in a non-insulated or non-heated pole building.

Nice Bel-Air btw.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had the thing in storage for 5-6 years I pulled the battery, put the car on jack stands and dumped some stabil in the tank. I would then swap in a battery and start the car and run it in gear about twice a year. When I finally pulled the car out for the swap the old motor started up and ran with no hassle, inspite of the 6 year old gas.

Now for winter storage I don't do much beyond the the battery tender and keeping a full tank. I suppose I should at least drop some stabil in the tank. I see guys going through some pretty elaborate procedures for their winter shutdowns, but I have never had a problem. Mine sits in an unheated garage.

I'm not sure if ethonol gas would be better for winter storage. Ethonol absorbs water and acts like a solvent keeping things clean. For spring start up I would think the ethonol blends would be the way to go, but don't know if the ability to absorb water would be good or bad over the winter.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice rig, cant comment cause our climate is different but I do use a batt tender on my optima and stabil too, fwiw.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I have a heated garage and keep it about 60* all winter. I do the following: Change oil, Stabil the gas on a full tank, Batt tender, Air up the tires to 45psi. and start them every few weeks. Done this for over 15 years on about 8 different cars here in Iowa. Never had a problem yet. BTW Very nice 57 you have there. Anymore pictures of her?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1NASTYZo6
I have a heated garage and keep it about 60* all winter. I do the following: Change oil, Stabil the gas on a full tank, Batt tender, Air up the tires to 45psi. and start them every few weeks. Done this for over 15 years on about 8 different cars here in Iowa. Never had a problem yet. BTW Very nice 57 you have there. Anymore pictures of her?
Thanks for the info...and the comments about the car. Here are a couple more pictures of it.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's just for the winter a full tank of gas and a start a every week or two should do it. Cars sit on dealer lots or in garages for months with no issues.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full tank of gas, mainly if you're using a metal tank, and on jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires.

When you run it the few times over the winter, if you have AC turn it on to lubricate the system too. If you're not able to get to run it, spaying some WD-40 in the cylinders and replacing the plugs is a good idea too.

W/ a battery tender you shouldn't have to worry about any memory loss in the ECM... even if it did lose power it only takes a few seconds to learn everything.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
Full tank of gas, mainly if you're using a metal tank, and on jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires.

When you run it the few times over the winter, if you have AC turn it on to lubricate the system too. If you're not able to get to run it, spaying some WD-40 in the cylinders and replacing the plugs is a good idea too.

W/ a battery tender you shouldn't have to worry about any memory loss in the ECM... even if it did lose power it only takes a few seconds to learn everything.

What? spray wd-40 in the cylinders and replace the plugs..

no. don't do that.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Change oil, fill gas tank, battery tender. I don't believe there is any reason to start it til spring.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

That is one sweet 57!!!! I would guess she drives like she looks.
Originally Posted by Wardrum
Thanks for the info...and the comments about the car. Here are a couple more pictures of it.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1NASTYZo6
That is one sweet 57!!!! I would guess she drives like she looks.
Thanks Nasty. I've only got 246 miles on it since it was finished but I'm happy with it so far. I'm hoping to take it on the Hot Rod Power Tour next year.

Last edited by Wardrum; 12-15-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
What? spray wd-40 in the cylinders and replace the plugs..

no. don't do that.
Keeps moisture off your cylinder wall, prevents any corrosion.

Quick Reply: Winter storage question...