Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 67 Camaro Build/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yesterday, I brought her to the exhaust shop to have the Magnaflow assembled.
I drove her up the ramp, got out to open the trunk, so that the components could be removed. This sinking feeling came over me as I realized that the trunk key had been left home. The appointment was canceled until tomorrow.
Later, the car was brought to a front end shop for alignment. My favorite shop was closed for vacation. They spent alot of time 'aligning' it. All of the personnel were posing for pictures with the car. One of the young guys came over and was telling me that I could sell the car for $100k (yeah, sure!). Afterward, the steering is not accurate. I think that because the rear tires are wider than the fronts, other adjustments need to be made.
Even though, at least the car can now be driven SAFELY.
The steering gear was changed to a 2 1/2 lock to lock (from stock 3 1/2).
The original gear had been leaking, and it was a good time to upgrade.
It still feels sloppy, even though all of the front end components have been changed. The IROC steering gear could be the solution.

Last edited by gMAG; 07-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That sucks. I hate having different keys for different things. Recently got stuck at a friend's house when I locked my trunk and ignition keys in the trunk but had my door key in my pocket.
That's a cool color too.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Yesterday (Thurs) was another productive day.
The Magnaflow was assembeled, although with some issues. The shop guy had warned me that Magnaflow doesn't always fit without some massaging.
The Mag kit was made for a stock 67-69 iron block. The LS1 block is about 1 inch wider. This meant that the elbows between the collector and the "X" pipe needed to bent a little, and that the mandrel would no longer be...mandrel. The tech put the slightest dimple in the pipe and all was ok.
Also, the pass muffler & tail pipe were interfereing with my highly skilled gas & return line work (ha, ha). The pipes are a little too close for comfort, so I'm gonna have to move them and maybe shield them a bit. For now, the pass tail pipe has been rotated enough to clear the gas.
I can't count the number of times the beautiful work I thought I was doing had to be undone later on.
We also put the wheel trim stuff on. They look sharp with the "DISC BRAKE" emblems.
It's really nice to see that pile of parts boxes disappearing from the garage floor!
More pics and a vid to be posted soon.
"It's a Gret Day Fur Moturrrracing!!" Jackie Stewart
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Cant wait to see some pics and or a vid. I am sure it sounds great.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya,post pics!!I have to adjust my tail pipes they keep rattling on one side!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya,post pics!!I have to adjust my tail pipes they keep rattling on one side!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I took the car out yesterday & today for some trial runs on the highway.
The exhaust is on and the clutch is still being broken in, so there was no gear jammin'.
Today, I couldn't resist the urge to give it a 'little' while entering the highway.
As that SUV flew by in the right hand lane, I 'eased' into the throttle.
We passed the SUV, then topped out at 90, all in a few seconds.
The previous version of this Camaro had a 350 iron block & had 320 or so rwhp. It had Holley Commander throttle body injection which was not reliable.
The new LS1 feels like it has quite a bit more power, and is completely reliable.
The Keisler Tremec has crispy shifts and the hydraulic clutch action allows for smooth power transfer.
I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Im glad some one can drive their car! I am stuck waiting on my harness and such and then its going to be on the road to see whats what. I need to seat my rings in and then its off to the dyno for some tuning! I would like to see a video of your car rolling down the road. Better yet I would like to see this car passing a Z06 and maybe blow a Mustang off of the road!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Im glad some one can drive their car!
tsnow, As of this week, that was the very line I was saying.
After today's ride, I came back home and told my wife that if I never drove the car again, it would all have been worth it!
Your time is coming, soon!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

That is good to hear and I hope you are right! Glad you enjoy the car and the new found power. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I was supposed to post some pics, but several things are holding this up.
A new headliner is supposed to go in. It's one of the few things I can't seem to master. The guy doing the job has postponed several times.
Today, the exhaust sys was finished. The tailpipes were hung correctly after I had repositioned some gas lines for safety from the heat. There was some tapping going on on the driver's muffler area. The exhaust tech told me that when the exhaust heats, it expands and is sitting near & tapping the brake line. I'll need to bend the line a bit to provide clearance.
As posted above, I had gone to Midas for alignment bec my align shop was closed last week. Midas corrected the toe, but didn't make the car drive straight. The front end now has a mind of its' own and goes wherever it wants!
My favorite alignment shop was not far from the exhaust shop. I'm realizing that the car attracts alot of respect in these shops, so, rather than call for an appointment at the align shop, I drove right over there. The owner, and everyone else came right out to help me. I wonder if this works the same on the girls?
The owner took one look and said that the camber was way out. This was good news, and hopefully it can be corrected next week. I'm looking forward to a really stable ride.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look forward to pics,I have a little exhaust rattle too,need to take it to shop
Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Look forward to pics,I have a little exhaust rattle too,need to take it to shop
Stan, I had no idea how much an exhaust pipe can elongate under heat.
The tech mentioned this, but I thought that he was misstating it.
The driver's tailpipe is a good 1" from the brake line. After it heats up, it elongates backward and is almost sitting on the line.
...And the leaks keep on coming!!
There were a couple of drops of something under the trans tailshaft today.
I may be able to disc the driveshaft, then tuck the seal back in to the trans, according to Keisler. Hey, this driveline has only 200 miles so far.
I'm still dealing with a slight leak at the low pressure side nipple on the pwr steer pump. To stop the leak from spreading over the engine compartment, it's wrapped in a paper towel tucked tightly around it.
To make the hose fit to the low pressure side, I cut the plastic flare off the nipple, then stuck an Aeroquip compression fitting onto the nipple. It isn't working.
The next best thing could be to remove the hose and compression fitting, then try to adapt a hose and clamp to the low press side.
I have to say that despite the leaks, I've been fortunate. So far, they've all been able to be fixed.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Default ls2

Glenn,

Looking great! Congrats on finally getting her on the road! Post a pic of the car as she sits right now! I bet it looks like a million bucks! I love the RS look!

TC
Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had same problems with small leaks!I didn't know that about exhaust!!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tango68ss
Glenn,

Looking great! Congrats on finally getting her on the road! Post a pic of the car as she sits right now! I bet it looks like a million bucks! I love the RS look!

TC
Thanks! I will take a couple tomorrow & post. Otherwise, at the rate I'm going, there'll never be any pics.
My issues are with waiting for other people to keep their word. Like the guy doing the headliner, & the guy finishing some flubs in the bodywork.
Sometimes, I think they're waiting at the door for me...("Here comes Glenn...do your best not to help him!") lol!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I had same problems with small leaks!I didn't know that about exhaust!!
Today, my horoscope said (on Yahoo) that I'd have "plumbing leaks". The tailshaft was leaking today.
Whoever wrote that was right-on.
When this project started, I knew absolutely nothing about it. As time goes by, you feel like you can fix just about anything...with your help, of course!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

If your headliner is like mine it is a royal pain!!! I have a 69 model and am not familiar with yours. I have the rods, I think 5 of them! The problem starts when you get the new headliner, its in box the size of a small pizza. You take it out of the box and start working out the 500 wrinkles that are now molded into the material. I bought a steamer and it was the best $15 I have spent to date. I tried to leave it out side in the sun but it was February and that was a big no go! Once most of the wrinkles were out I had to figure out which rod went where. I installed new rod holder in the ceiling, screwed in all of the interior screws (a must if you ever want to find the hole again), stretched the material and hooked in the rods. I thought the hard part was over boy was I wrong! Now you have to pull the headliner towards the sides using the little black bull dog clips to hold it as you go along. Then if you have the windshield and back glass in you are in a world of hurt because the material will need to be stretched front to back. Once the material is stretched you will now steam out any unwanted wrinkles again. Remember you are working over head and your neck will be sore. After all of that you will now begin the gluing process. You will have to undo the left or right side and sort of crease the material where it wrapped around the lip and glue both sides of the rail at the same time glue the headliner. Work fast because if it dries you will be gluing it again. Without getting glue on the exterior of the headliner you will now pull it taunt once again without disturbing the front or back tensions or creases will show up. Now let that side dry and repaet to other side then work to the front then the back. Once all of that is done you will need to take a razor knife and cut the excess material all the way around with out cutting through the exterior and promote a rip. After this whole ordeal is done its time to add the trim, sunvisors, rear view mirrior, seat belt carriers, etc, etc, You will feel for the head of the screw and cut an "X" over the head of the screw and force a screwdriver through the material and back the screw out. Once the screws for that particular item are backed out then you can install that item. This repeats it self only the good Lord knows how many times until its complete. The trim "if new" does not want to conform properly without persuasion so be prepared. This is only a summary of what it actually takes to get the headliner installed, this is why your headliner guy is avoiding you. I would find someone else that has done these styles and is familiar with the process and pay them generously!!! I know if my car ever needs another one I will not be the one doing it and will be more than happy to pay heavily to get it done. I am sorry people are like that these days and say something and do something differently when the time comes to get it done. I will be happy to let you borrow my bulldog clips and razor knife if you want to try your hand at the install. Good luck to ya and lets see them pics. You have a beautiful car and it deserves some new photos headliner or not.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow,I ever need headliner I'll pay some one!!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow,I ever need headliner I'll pay some one!!
Stan, There's a YouTube video which describes how it's done. They make it seem like the headliner practically installs itself. I've tried to do this myself, twice. I haven't been able to get the 'hang' of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjvgMKls9U

Quick Reply: My 67 Camaro Build/Photos