Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Probe Turbo 4.8L :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, found out that the driveshaft is a no go. It was about ten inches too short, So I think I will try to see what I can find at the junk yard, or I'll have to have one made.

Anyone know off hand where I need to go to get the spacer for the flexplate? I have the curved flexplate that came with the motor, so I believe I only need the .400" spacer for it....
Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Well today I didn't accomplish too much. Went and ordered my AFPR, got an adaptor for -6AN to quick disconnect, because to start I will be running stock fuel rails. Also picked up some -8 to -6 connectors, because the rails mounted to the car are half inch with -8 ends, naturally.

besides that, I just finished the loom and cleaned up the coil assemblies. Also I had 11 foot of stainless line left over, so when my AFPR gets in I will be able to run all the lines on the front of the car. Only two pics to add today....

Extra line

Nice clean Coils!!

John
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Flexplate adapter link below. You will also have to slot the torque converter bolt holes in the flexplate because the old style torque converter has a slightly smaller bolt circle.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hughes%20Perfo...0002/-1?CT=999

Here is a good thread. The guy in the thread has the same flexplate and is using that adapter.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...9-help-me.html

Last edited by thirdgen60; 01-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Sweet, thanks. Putting order in now!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Well today I didn't get any work done, but I took some pics of the car as I put it back on the ground with the motor in. It's just sick because it looks like a stock probe with a body kit! I obviously need some offset rims to get the car looking right in the rear, but I think it looks pretty BA, if I may say so myself.....

The car is just over 4" off of the ground, with the oil pan being about 4.5" The looks I am gonna get driving this thing down the road......

The hood clearence is real close as well, about an inch away from the hood

And the pics:

Thanks for lookin

John
Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Ok, finally got a little time to get the car back in the garage. Didn't do too much, just mounted the AFPR, made the feed line from the hard line under the car, and made the return line to the other hard line under the car. I was missing a couple fittings still, so I didn't make the line from the AFPR to the rail yet, but that will be an easy one.

Mounted the truck mani's back on, New plan is to cut off flanges and use 2.5" V-band clamps, to clear the alternator. Should work out just dandy.....

That's all for now, more to come on monday!

John
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Looking good man!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Well I got the 2.5" Vband clamps in yesterday, so I will be working on the exhaust this weekend, and hopefully the inline fuel pump comes too, So I can do the rear fuel lines and hook up the pump to the relay box.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

that is a hell of a bump steer kit to put the rack down that low...
Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting & cool build, hopefully you're planning on ditching the body kit and wing.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Ha Ha, This car has been this way for quite some time with the previous owner, but at no time was this car a "ricer"! I think He ran 11.40's with the stock motor setup, then 10's with the 2JZ in it. It would be hard to remove it as well, it was molded in....

Anyway, on with the progress for today! Got a decent amount of work done. My buddy Tyler pulled though once again and welded the 2.5" Vband clamps to the truck manifolds, which turned out awesome. Also, we ripped out the dash, and started removing tons of wires, but kept them tied up in a bundle for use later with gauges and switches and what not.... Everything is now wired into the fuse block, minus the fans, but that is just one wire. After cleaning up the wiring in the car, I moved on to the rear, where I mounted the fuel cell correctly, spaced down about 1.5" for clearance of the -6 vent on top. Also, I mounted the fuel pump, an inline Walbro 255 for now, and ran the wiring to it as well. All and all, a lot got done, but there is still tons to do!!!

On to the pics:

Hopefully tomorrow I will be pulling the motor back out and actually assembling it for the final time(removing tape off the runners, etc). The only major things I need now are the driveshaft needs to be built, and I need HP Tuners!

Thanks for looking

John

Edit: The last pic is obviously of the shifter I will be using, just need to cut a hole if the tranny tunnel and hook her up....
Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 AM
9 Second Club

LOL i know where to go if i ever need some extra battery cable!!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Good to see your using actual fuel injection hose clamps on the fuel lines. It really grinds my gears to see a worm clamp on there with the owner selling it off as good-to-go
Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thirdgen60
LOL i know where to go if i ever need some extra battery cable!!
Yeah I got under there and was like WTF?!?!?! Oh well

I put on the fuel injection clamp, and when it tightened up, it started to bend up right under the screw, so I took that off, put a new one on, then added the worm gear clamp, just for added security....
Old 03-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Well, decided to do some work today, I got the dims for a T4 Turbo flange, so I decided I would try to rough one out, It turned out pretty good, I might just keep it and actually use it! ha ha

Also I worked on my LS Tails I think it will be sweet when it's done....

Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Well I did some work this week, took the motor out, put the flexplate on, ovaled the mounting holes out so it would mate to the 700r4, and put the adaptor ring on that holds the torque converter concentric to the flexplate. Got all that bolted up, bent the coolant crossover tube so the intake would sit correctly, mounted the intake and put it all back in the bay. Should be good to go now, shouldn't have to take the motor out again.

Tonight I threw on the injectors and rails, coils, and the exhaust mani's. From there I used some mandrel bends a friend made for me, cut them up and tacked them up to make the up-pipe to the turbo. The collectors are 2.5", and they will merge to a single 3", once the welds are done with a mig. They were just tacked with a 110v stick welder.

Here are a couple pics of how it looks so far

Thanks for looking
Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Launching!

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCN0542.mp4
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't see if it had mentioned already but isn't the fuel cell in backwards.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Ha Ha, yes it was, it was just up there for fitting of the holding straps, it's in proper now.

And to my surprise, there wasn't a single leak in the fuel system at 60psi!!! I couldn't believe it...

John
Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Launching!

here is a better video of it running, and I drove it on Saturday, untuned it still drove and idled very well, not bad for stock 5.7 ecu settings and 28lb injectors on 50psi

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCN0550.mp4

Quick Reply: Ford Probe Turbo 4.8L :)