Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

65 Nova Wagon 5.3 help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 65 Nova Wagon 5.3 help!

Ok people please help! I am going to ditch this project before I even get started. I have done so much reading the past week I have down right confused myself! I bought a LM7 5.3 out of a 2001 Tahoe and I bought it with the harness and computer, alt & starter. I kinda wished I would of done a little more research on this before I went this route but I will chalk that up to learning. What I would like to know is , is it worth the time and patiance(sp) in converting the oe harness to a stand alone of is it just better to buy one that has already been converted from a company ( a Painless is too pricy) I have located a couple of companys that offer this and I think of the time it may save me in the long run I am going to run a TH350 in the car so I am aware of the spacer I need to buy. I am buying a intake off of a LS1 motor and I also wanted to know if the stock throttle body off the Tahoe will work. I probably have a ton of questions and I will be relying on this website for support on this project. Any feedback would be great thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

run a carb...way easier and cheaper
Old 02-27-2011, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

I would run a a standalone. I don't think runing a carb would be cheaper. I've seen members spend $350-$500 for a good standalone a carb intake runs about $350
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tontruck
OK people please help! I am going to ditch this project before I even get started. I have done so much reading the past week I have down right confused myself! I bought a LM7 5.3 out of a 2001 Tahoe and I bought it with the harness and computer, alt & starter. I kinda wished I would of done a little more research on this before I went this route but I will chalk that up to learning.

What I would like to know is , is it worth the time and patience in converting the oe harness to a stand alone or is it just better to buy one that has already been converted from a company (a Painless is too pricey) I have located a couple of companies that offer this and I think of the time it may save me in the long run.

I am going to run a TH350 in the car so I am aware of the spacer I need to buy.

I am buying a intake off of a LS1 motor and I also wanted to know if the stock throttle body off the Tahoe will work.

I probably have a ton of questions and I will be relying on this website for support on this project. Any feedback would be great thanks in advance.
I don't visit much anymore, but saw your thread today and will offer my .02:

Wiring: Why not keep the factory harness & PCM and pick up some tuning software (i.e. LS1 edit or HP Tuners)?

Trans: Any reason for the non-OD? With gas heading towards $4/gallon, a 4L60 would eventually pay for itself, and make the swap a lot easier.

Throttle body: If the Tahoe used a electronic TB (not sure on the years, but if no provision for a cable then it's electronic), then no it won't work unless you swap over the gas pedal & sensor and retain the wiring. Cable TBs are a lot easier to install. Either will bolt up to your car intake.

Accessories: The truck motors mount the accessories furthest away from the block. The Vettes mount closest, with the F-bodies in between. This could be the difference between clearance for a fan or not.

Oil pan: Like the intake, the truck pan is really tall and I'm certain you'll need to swap it. As I recall, some Novas used an oddball pan due to the steering linkage. You may need to get creative here.

Good luck with it. I'm partial towards wagons- should be a great swap.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tontruck
Ok people please help! I am going to ditch this project before I even get started. I have done so much reading the past week I have down right confused myself! I bought a LM7 5.3 out of a 2001 Tahoe and I bought it with the harness and computer, alt & starter. I kinda wished I would of done a little more research on this before I went this route but I will chalk that up to learning. What I would like to know is , is it worth the time and patiance(sp) in converting the oe harness to a stand alone of is it just better to buy one that has already been converted from a company ( a Painless is too pricy) I have located a couple of companys that offer this and I think of the time it may save me in the long run I am going to run a TH350 in the car so I am aware of the spacer I need to buy. I am buying a intake off of a LS1 motor and I also wanted to know if the stock throttle body off the Tahoe will work. I probably have a ton of questions and I will be relying on this website for support on this project. Any feedback would be great thanks in advance.
You could sell the truck harness, and pay for about half the cost of a stand alone. If you are not electrically inclined, this would be the best way, to do the wiring is tedious, and time consuming. Click the link in my sig. for some wiring insight.

Since you are changing the intake, you could also sell the computer, and purchase a car unit to go with the harness, and it will all plug in together.

Run the 4L60E, you will enjoy the car more, plus have the ability to change shift parameters at will through the tuning software. It will also integrate with the harness. I think Lokar makes the kick down brackets for the turbo 350 to fit with the FI intake.

As for the throttle body, this can also be handled with a car computer, as you will bolt it to a car intake, drive by cable, 3 bolt TB. As previously stated, if DBW, then you need the pedal, TAC module and wiring from the donor vehicle. You can sell off what you don't need to finance some of the changes.

What kind of front end are you running, stock or clip?

Check out Steve's, I know you are a memeber there, there's a new LSx forum there, and several links to answer your questions. Post up there, you will get more Nova specific answers to your questions. PM me for specific details, and I'll give you my cell phone, we can talk you through it. Don't ditch the project, it's a great swap, and you won't be sorry you did it.

T,

Last edited by TomM; 02-28-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I sent my first harness out to be cleaned up. I did my own using info on this site. It's not too hard. Label your connectors, remove the harness, and unwrap all your wiring, get rid of the ones you dont need.
http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm
I sent my ecu out for reprogramming.
Keep the injection and TB, you can use cable or DBW with the LS1 intake.
Check out my engine, pretty much what you're describing.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...442-build.html
Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Take Tom up on his offer you will be in good hands with his advise, he has done this swap more than once and his builds are top notch....everything done right.

Like Tom said there are a number of others with novas who have done this and you will not regret the whole process once it is completed. We are in the process of doing the same to our daily drive (64 wagon) as well.

Keep up posted with updates and photos!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Launching!

The harness just looks scary.. use the website provided and you will get it.. I have done 3 now with no problem.. if you have and problem just post up or PM me. the Tahoe TB will fit no problem.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Teching In

It is a Jim Wiemers rod garage front clip, pretty standard bolt on stub for the most part. Here is a in assembly pic.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

This is what I should really be working on!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Default Info

Pm'd you off steves if you needed any help to call. I would ditch all truck stuff and put camaro or gto accessories/harness on it. Let me know I have a pile of this stuff. The trans I would go with the OD might as well leave small block in it if not. Go all the way and right the first time you will be happy. If not you will have a cobbled up mess like most of these low budget swaps. It will look like wiring was done by spaghetti works wiring !!

Quick Reply: 65 Nova Wagon 5.3 help!