Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jabjr26 yes I ended up with a sump that GM have released for muscle cars, I believe it is proberbly comaro. http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...12593/10002/-1
After putting it in though it may be a bit deep I guess Ill find out when I get it on the track. As this is going to be a track car I have done the engine and tranny mounts myself, I initially had plans to use this track car to build a V8 retro fit kit for RX8 but as you know there is so much involved and our Australian Design Rules are draconian to say the least and in the end it would not be commercially viable. As it turned out the mounts were easy, the only thing I would change is that I would keep the engine about 20mm foward as I hade to relocate the rear rhs spark plug coil as it hit the brake booster. I am currently battling with the headers, take two due to start today. This has been particularly challenging as the steering shaft and the starter are both on the RHS of the engine, but we will get there. The steering was another hurdle, and ended up with a depowered remounted MX5 steering rack. Who would have thought. Any way my son and are are still keen so we will continue on it could be awhile and a lot of shall we say bottled refreshments .
Cheers Clive
Attached Thumbnails Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside-engine-.jpg   Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside-lhs-engine-mount.jpg   Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside-rhs-mount.jpg   Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside-steering-rack-engine-mounts-done.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Thank u for building this!! I think this a great looking car and needs way more power than that rotor could put...
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

oh and welcome to the world of torque
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (11-21-2022)
Old 12-24-2011, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,
I know it has been awhile since an update, but I have been really busy with school and working to get some more money to drop into my project. However, I did order and pay for the Hinson Motorsports LSX V8 Mounting kit, so hopefully soon after Christmas it will get delivered. If it does I will post pics and a little build thread showing there kit. Just in case anyone else is using a third party to get there mounting equitment for an Ls swap you can see it here.

Happy Holidays,
Joey
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM

Default updates?

Joey,
any progress in the last 6 months?
Did Hinson ship you the RX-8 engine cradle?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Default Engine in and Running

Gents Quick picture the engine is finally in and running. Just needs brakes, suspension, seats rollcage etc hope to have on dyno next month then the track.
Clive
Attached Thumbnails Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside-engine-finished.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

wow, theres alot more room in there than i thought there would be. its funny how much room these things have in them considering how small a rotary is... i have a ls1 swapped FD
Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Progress update I have had it on the dyno and was quite surprised that it made 282 kw at the rear wheels and 551nm. That'll do till I learn to drive it. The brake package, I ended up with brembos, 6 spot front and 4 spot rear with 355mm discs, hopefully that will stop it. Roll cage now then track. I have attached a couple of final pics. Cheers Clive.
Attached Thumbnails Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside-286850_10151048634257309_462279413_o.jpg   Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside-rx8-track-car.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Teching In

YES! Love it man! been creeping on the very few rx8 lsx swap threads in hopes to swap mine. were you able to get the factory gauges working? I know our cars have the CAN bus system which is a bitch to wire up from what I hear. also good job keeping the drive by wire. I hope to keep mine as well.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Sorry Green RX8 As this is a track only car I completely removed dash and all std wiring from car. I then made my own chassis loom. The dash will now be an IPAD connected via the OBD11 port. Regards Clive
Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

ah, oh well. still very cool man, congrats on getting it done
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

love it
Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Finally a fast rx8. Nicebuild
Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

thats fackin sick man! cant wait for the VIDS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,

It's been while, but an update is in order... the project has been going good, just slow.. I'm trying to source out some c5 engine pedestals so I can mount the motor. Hinsons subframe conversion kit is very nice, and I have most of it all installed. Over the next couple months I will start to post progress pics. sorry it's been slow.

Best.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 AM
L*!
Teching In

To Jabjr26 and Clive Gray, would you gents minding sending me your contact email address, as I am doing this conversion on a RHD RX8 this Xmas, hoping to retain some original electronic functionality. It would be great to keep in touch with other for ideas etc. Good luck with your swaps.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Default UK Conversion

I too am thinking hard about doing this conversion as I have a L33 with LS6 intake and Z04 cam just ready and waiting. RX8s are around in the UK for $1000-$1500 with blown rotaries now. What I need to know is how people are fitting the LSX into them now that Hinson are 'not trading much'.

Anyone got some pics of the mounts/brackets they used?

PM or email me direct if you prefer...

Gareth
Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Teching In

nice swap, congrats!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Very nicely done!! Indeed it is not difficult to get the engine in there since there is more room than you would think with that tiny renesis but anyways i'll copy what i wrote in another thread to hopefully get a broader audience. These will be questions that those interested in this swap might also have.

Anyways, hope this finds everyone well.

As many here and @ rx8club have said they really want this swap to be easier i.e. a kit.

I'm not here to boast about how i'm going to do it and potentially fail and look like an ***, but rather collect information and hopefully get some questions answered regarding the swap.

As a person I usually prefer to learn how to do something before trying it instead of going in blind and end up fubared.

So I will say that i know the rx8 platform enough to avoid stealerships, the engine, the wiring diagram, etc however i don't know the ls1 platform (obviously i will study the platform before attempting the swap).

With that being said i can affirmatively say that mounting the trans and engine will not be a difficult task for my person. I would however like to discuss the electrical side of things in order to have a seamless swap. Someone on here did mention to keep the original computer in and use it's sensors to work the cluster abs etc, that's exactly what i was thinking!

Now for some questions that i hope a member can enlighten on.

What would be the easiest way to have the ls1 computer control the fuel pump while having the rx8 computer read the fuel level?

For the tachometer how would one mount the eccentric shaft position sensor (this is how the rx8 gets the rpm's) onto the crankshaft? does the ls have a crankshaft sensor? could the rx8 wires be spliced into the ls crankshaft sensor and have the same readout as the eccentric one while the LS gets it's own rpm input?

For the oil level sender how can the rx8 oil level sender which is in the oil pan be placed inside? drill through and weld shut around a rubber filled rod?

For the rx8 vehicle speed is needed for the cruise control if the ls1 computer doesn't get the vehicle speed input from the ABS system how would it go about controlling this? would it be wise to splice into those wires from the ABS and feed them into the ls1 pcm input for speed? or better to attach another vss to the front right caliper. (ABS vss for the rx8 is on the left)

should the rx8 air compressor be used for A/C and fab a mount for it?

would you trust the rx8 coolant temperature sensor to handle the cooling fans and the ls1 water pump to move the water? fortunately ls1 runs colder than the renesis.

should a t-splitter be used for both the ls1 and rx8 oil pressure sender to read to both pcms? Same with the coolant temperature sensor?

If splicing will produce the same voltage and ohms going to both computers then it would be very easy to go this route, but i'm no electrician.

with all these questions answered the swap wouldn't be that difficult unless something important is missing.

sorry for the long post btw

there needs to be more v8 rexes out there
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Teching In

any more updates on the build? and is hinson still in business?

Quick Reply: Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside