Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope this goes through
Old 03-26-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be very interested in this, couldn't get in intime to get some from CPW..
Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I hear, it is a complete waste of time if they aren't 1-7/8" stainless steel
Old 03-26-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Going to change things up a little. I will have them start with a 1 7/8, and then have them make the 1 3/4 after. All the hard work of fitting things will be done with the 1 7/8. They would just have to copy them to make the 1 3/4. FYI, I am going to use full size truck oil cooler lines.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

a nice set of long tubes would be nice running sanderson shorty's on mine
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Hey all. Sent off a message to a mod here to make sure this was OK. If for any reason something is posted that is concerning to a mod, please let me know.

To all S-10 LSx swap guys. I am working with American Racin Headers to build my long tubes for my 98' 2 wheel drive S-10. I am trying to drum up some interest to see if they are worth putting into production.

What I have is a 1998 2 wheel drive S-10. It will be recieving an LQ-4 this summer with a T-56. This truck will be lowered with a ZQ-8 suspension and will be running at least a 255 tire up front.

The goal is to make a tue long tube with a minimum 1 3/4 primary tube and a 3" collector. The biggest stipulation is that the headers have to be made to exit inside the frame (not in the wheel wells), be high enough not to hit the ground on a lowered truck (unless you are on air bags, then it's your issue if it hits), clear the A/C box, and have room to change spark plugs. They will have a ture 1 3/4 primary. Not just bumped up at the flange and then be really a 1 5/8 again.

These headers will be made using my truck as a test truck. It will be late summer before these are even ready to view. But, if I can get interest and even buyers lined up (at least 10-15), they will make them a production header for any to buy. The projected cost could be in the range of $1200. That being said, buy a set of quality headers for a Vette, F-Body, GTO or other high performance car. You will pay similar pricing. I am paying much more than that for the one off set. And will be pushing to get them into production if there is enough interest.

Please keep in mind. My truck will have the engine in the foward posistion using the typical 2.8 mounts with engine plates like the ebay ones. I will also be using the LH-8 oil pan. I will not say these will fit a 4 wheel drive. I am certain they will not.

At this moment, ARH and I are still in the planning phase. And They are not tied into building me anything. I did this this permission from them and a moderator here. If all works out, we will have a great header for people looking for quality, fitment (if using the same parts and placing the engine in the same place), and performance over the other options we have.

PM me if there is more info needed.

Thanks.
I also have a 98SS s10, reg cab, short bed 2 wheel drive with suspension lowered 4ins in the rear, 3 ins on the front . I have the lm7, 5.3 carbed engine. I just installed BRPs latest 13/4( in frame )lt hedders. I did not have to use their motor mounts, my mounts worked perfect! I only had to trim the trans bellhousing that sticks out past the engine block, on the drivers side, and hammard the passenger side floor board, easiest install every for me! The hedders come where you can take it apart for eas of install. I'v been building cars for years and bought many headers, I have to say , these are the best set that I'v ever bought! They look very good @ $670 ceramic coated! I ran it at the dragstrip, turned .23 sec quicker@over 2 mph faster. They tuck up into the frame so far that you can not see them, unless you lay flat on the ground. Call BRP and talk to Jeff, he will hook you up!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

???? Had to hammer the floor and mod the trans? Stainless steel???

Oh, and do you happen to work for BRP?

I've personally seen them. I do not like the fitment and craftmenship. But to each their own. I am here to offer another option. Not sell BRP stuff. Thanks though.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This was copied from an Ebay ad for the BRP headers. Please read the part that they are mid lenght, and that the "flanges" are 1 3/4, and the piping is actually 1 5/8 swelled to a 1 3/4.

The BRP websight does not offer information on any header for that matter.

Muscle Rod hedders all feature thick 3/8 flanges and are available from a mid length 1 3/4 hedders to a massive 2in header for GM cars and trucks from 1955-1998.

This header is for 82-93 S-10 2wd trucks only. will not work on blazers. they are mid-length 1 5/8" primary tubes. these flow considerably better than stock manifolds.

All Hedder’s are designed so that the stock GM spark plug wires can be used and includes a reducer that is coated with 02 Bungs welded on.

All hedders are ceramic coated at listed price

Long tubes feature bolt on collectors and have two versions that both have primaries that exit out the frame rails.

All Muscle Rod hedders are designed off of the new Muscle Rod line of LS conversion kit and its highly recommended that these hedders be used on a BRP conversion kit. we can not gaurantee fitment using other style mounts.

These mid lengths feature a 1 ¾ flanges that are 3/8 thick with 1 5/8 primaries swelled to fit and fully welded around the primary and fit inside the frame rails with a 3in collector.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oct03gto
???? Had to hammer the floor and mod the trans? Stainless steel???

Oh, and do you happen to work for BRP?

I've personally seen them. I do not like the fitment and craftmenship. But to each their own. I am here to offer another option. Not sell BRP stuff. Thanks though.
If you would clear you're head, You will read that I said these are their latest (redesigned) hedders. They are not midlength. Sorry I didn't mention that these headers are full 13/4 from the flanges all the way to the collectors. If you have any ?, please feel free to ?. These headers were designed for the later model s10's. BRP does not guarentee the 83 to 94 headers to fit the later model s10's. They only offered mids for the later models. And no .I don't work for BRP! I became frustrated after calling BRP over a year ago, saying that they only offered mids for the later models. So I priced having custom made headers. They were any where from $1200 to $1500 for mild steel, full length. The BRP's are full 13/4, ceramic coated. In the paste, all full length headers for s10's, you always had to trim the trans ear by the engine block, for them to fit. If you look in that area, you will see that the area is very tight!!! on both sides, but more so on the passenger side. Don't be surprised when you get you're $1200 custom in chassis, if they are full 13/4 that you (will) have to make adjustments here and there. If they are one piece, get ready to pull the engine to install them. S10's are not known for having much room on either side of the engine. I feel for people like you that jump to the conclusion that I'm hijacking when people like me jump in to help out. I know I wished that anyone would step in and clear the path for me. I waited over a year for headers like these. I can tell that you haven't seen these headers yet. Do you'r self a faver, and check these jewels.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Who's got two thumbs and calling ARH tomorow.

This guy.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pontiac 2+2
If you would clear you're head, You will read that I said these are their latest (redesigned) hedders. They are not midlength. Sorry I didn't mention that these headers are full 13/4 from the flanges all the way to the collectors. If you have any ?, please feel free to ?. These headers were designed for the later model s10's. BRP does not guarentee the 83 to 94 headers to fit the later model s10's. They only offered mids for the later models. And no .I don't work for BRP! I became frustrated after calling BRP over a year ago, saying that they only offered mids for the later models. So I priced having custom made headers. They were any where from $1200 to $1500 for mild steel, full length. The BRP's are full 13/4, ceramic coated. In the paste, all full length headers for s10's, you always had to trim the trans ear by the engine block, for them to fit. If you look in that area, you will see that the area is very tight!!! on both sides, but more so on the passenger side. Don't be surprised when you get you're $1200 custom in chassis, if they are full 13/4 that you (will) have to make adjustments here and there. If they are one piece, get ready to pull the engine to install them. S10's are not known for having much room on either side of the engine. I feel for people like you that jump to the conclusion that I'm hijacking when people like me jump in to help out. I know I wished that anyone would step in and clear the path for me. I waited over a year for headers like these. I can tell that you haven't seen these headers yet. Do you'r self a faver, and check these jewels.
I will have to say sorry. I went a bit over the top. As some PM's I get are basically telling me to drop this and move away from doing it. Well, I am doing all the hard work and spending the cash to build something that I didn't find in the aftermarket. And plenty of people who are trying to push the little guy away. It feels like I get responces to say, why would you do that? Is that hot rodding? Nope, what I am doing is.

If you have a set of headers are like. Then great. But the purpose of this thread is to drum up interest in this set I am working to help make. And if I get enough interest, my personal aftermarket company will have the rights to sell them only. It will be in the contract once ARH and I get together and I drop my truck off. If there is not enough interest, I will have the only set them make.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Don't give up, that's all you need is a 1 7/8 LT 304SS headers.
It will sell. I know a couple of guys that have some crazy S10 setups and don't even post in forums, they just use the forums for some fitment issues and ideas and the rest the keep to themselves, these guys run very good numbers, and they are not here braging because they are smart. Why let the competitor know what you got and how fast your running. makes me wanna shut up. Lol because eventually you'll run into someone who already knows what you got at track.

If you need my 2wd blazer for fitment I'm in.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got it. We will have to be in contact soon. And please, get the word out to your buddies. I need people lined up and ready to purchase in order to actually put these into production. Otherwise, mine will be the only set made.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really hope that they can do this. From the conversation I had with the guys at BRP, anything larger than 1 3/4" primaries simply will not fit inside the frame rail, but if ARH can come up with something I will definitely be ditching my BRPs for a set.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brining this one back up. Getting closer to hopefully a parts truck to use for fitment testing.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Bookmarked this into my lsx swap folder for future reference, good luck getting these made but unfortunately i can say im in as i dont know exactly what i want to swap once my car is sold.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Interested...working on building the motor but holding off on buying swap parts specific to s10. I don't want to buy s10 specific because as soon as I do, something better, cheaper, and easier comes up. Keeping my eye on this.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are considering these long tubes once done. Please wait to buy mounts. I may have a mounting system redone to position the engine right where it needs to be so these headers will fit properly. The option to move the engine too much will result in bad fitment.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in. I had the CPW's but sold them to go turbo. Now my DD 2.2L S10 spit the timing chain so I am back into a budget minded N/A swap. I'll commit depending on time frame and have the cashola. I couldnt use the CP's anyhow as they hit my billet servo cover on my Level V RPM Transmissions 4L65e.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and you dont even have to worry about "interest" from folks, I can and will assure you there WILL be demand, and more than you anticipate.

When I hit Jared up @ CPW (who's customer service and meticulous dedication is second to none IMHO) about possibly making ONE LAST RUN, he told me if he could get 6 in line FOR SURE, he'd make a dozen sets. When all was said and done, I believe he ended up with THIRTY ORDERS. I felt bad about that, as I PM'd about 30 folks gauging interest; but just giving you an idea of the demand for these things.

Also, if the 1 7/8" can be done the demand will be even higher; just ask NYCBlazer, he hasnt shut up about it in over a year, lol. (Just ribbin' ya bro ) I'm def. down for SS 1 7/8" myself w/ 3.5" collectors if they can make it happen. Just keep the collectors away from the servo cover for us built auto guys. AGAIN, i'm NOT knocking Jared one bit, those headers were nice and had I ran a T56 it woulda been no problem.

Thank you for hitting up ARH about this, and lets try to keep this at the top and the ball rolling!

THanks,

-Greg

Quick Reply: Another LSx S-10 headr option