Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mechanical speedometer drive solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys will look back on Zipster's first post about this it was 1-7-12 thats only 5 months to Build it Work out the Program and the Code and now we are on to Testing i think thats awful fast i have seen companies take years to do what Zipster and his Brother-in -Law have done in just 4 short months.

He told me he hopes to have them ready to Sale by the end of summer right now he is getting Bids on having the Computer Chips made. And he all so said he is trying to get it all made in USA that should make a lot of you guys feel better knowing that he is putting the money back in the hands of the working man in the USA not China are Mexico.

Last edited by thenova70ss; 05-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

This sounds awesome! I will definitely be interested as I have found nothing for my 55 Olds that doesn't look cheesy or cost $1,000.00 plus. Would love to keep the stock look.

Would still have to figure out the temp, oil, fuel, and volts gauges, but this would be a good start.

Haven't seen anything recent about cost. You still hoping to be in the $150.00 range?

Keep up the good work.

Joe
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update time

We had a very successful test run on Saturday. I installed the ZDrive prototype in my car, did the one button program, and drove, The speedo responded and started moving. We found the MPH were off, after more adjusting we found it to be a voltage fluctuation problem that the controller responds to. We have a fix for it, just need to put another little thing on the control board. BUT IT DOES WORK!! It was very exciting to see something that was only an idea on paper 4 months ago actually work. Its getting there, still need to refine it, but it works.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Yep, the one-button programming interface works well, and the device performed well, but there were discrepancies in accuracy between my bench rig and an actual car. I'm thinking it's related to voltage supply to our electric motor. I'm going back to redesign the power supply to guarantee smooth motor voltage as long as the vehicle system has 12v. This is what testing is for - but is totally exciting. The idea is solid. The mechanics work. The logic works. We just need to dial in the accuracy and we've got it!

Oh, and as designed, I could not even hear it running (although zipster's LSx mustang is such a monster, it's hard to hear anything but the engine LOL - zipster: I'm buying you some dynamat for xmas man!). Don't worry, I couldn't hear it running even when the engine was off and we were just running the unit in simulation mode
Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Every post makes this more and more awesome. This is how America is supposed to work. We have an idea, we build it, then we test and refine it.

I can't wait to get one of these.

Brandon
Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Launching!

a DC motor shunt is the solution?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by invader59
Yep, the one-button programming interface works well, and the device performed well, but there were discrepancies in accuracy between my bench rig and an actual car. I'm thinking it's related to voltage supply to our electric motor. I'm going back to redesign the power supply to guarantee smooth motor voltage as long as the vehicle system has 12v. This is what testing is for - but is totally exciting. The idea is solid. The mechanics work. The logic works. We just need to dial in the accuracy and we've got it!

Oh, and as designed, I could not even hear it running (although zipster's LSx mustang is such a monster, it's hard to hear anything but the engine LOL - zipster: I'm buying you some dynamat for xmas man!). Don't worry, I couldn't hear it running even when the engine was off and we were just running the unit in simulation mode
How about a constant 12V capacitor that would keep the power at 12v all the time after the car is running.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leon phelps
a DC motor shunt is the solution?
if you call a VSSB-driven DC motor controller a shunt, then yes
Old 05-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
How about a constant 12V capacitor that would keep the power at 12v all the time after the car is running.
It's actually got them already - pretty sure the problem right now is with the regulator I chose. Even with a LDO regulator if the battery side dips below 12.5v, the regulated voltage on the output side will drop precipitously. I just need to redesign with either a lower operating voltage or switch to a mosfet-driven boost regulator.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

It's actually got them already - pretty sure the problem right now is with the regulator I chose. Even with a LDO regulator if the battery side dips below 12.5v, the regulated voltage on the output side will drop precipitously. I just need to redesign with either a lower operating voltage or switch to a mosfet-driven boost regulator.
I would say a Mosfet-driven boost regulator would fix it are i would think it would if it just getting adrop in voltage.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Well it sounds like good progress is being made on this new device. I think that it is about time to start a prospective customer/sales list to be sure that everyone that is interested knows when they are ready for delivery. If anyone wants to keep this info, here is what I have...
I want one of these for my:
1955 Chevy Belair Wagon.
Stock speedometer
2003 Chevy 4.3l V6
MPFI
4L60E auto/od
stock 355 rear gears
email == lakers1955@iwon.com
let me know if you will need anymore info, thanks, Larry Akers
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

R u kidding? Let the guys who's putting this thing together
make that decision. Too many people like u want to rush
A product to finish, and if it has one small glitch in it you'll
b first in line demanding a refund!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Default R U Talkin 2 ME

R U talking to ME??? U don't know me so stop telling the people on this board what kind of person I am. I don't jump to conclusions and I don't assume to know what kind of person U R but your comment shows the whole world. If you don't like my suggestions, then I have a solution for U, stop reading my posts. I have been waiting for the SpeedChanger Mechanical for over 2 years and I just don't want to miss out on this if it turns out to be a short lived product... Take your snide comments and go bluff someone else...

Originally Posted by Killer66
R u kidding? Let the guys who's putting this thing together
make that decision. Too many people like u want to rush
A product to finish, and if it has one small glitch in it you'll
b first in line demanding a refund!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Larry,

let the people who are making the product make their business decisions. I second the comments.

until it is done, the product does not exist. a little engineering advice I am passing on.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

It's not a snide remark. I subscribed to this post so I can't stop reading it. Not only that I think for a person who's been waiting for two years a few more months or so won't hurt! Let's say (Zipster) decides to charge 350.00 for this part will you still be interested?
I just want the best product that Zipster and Co. and make. I realize RD takes time and money. Right now from where I stand it's all their money and their time. Now I noticed you only had three post "you're new" but you could be a friend of theirs. Heck I don't know! Don't care. I just think their doing an outstanding job and I support the quality that I think they are trying to put in to it.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I like cheese.

Like I said a few times before, I'll use my GPS until this becomes available. No rush. You rush, you screw up.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Guys we wear gone to try and have one in my car for all you guys On the Power Tour to look at on the last 3 Stops but as of now it has not showed up at my house and we leave in 1 day for the power tour so it looks like if i do have it it will not be hooked up in my car but if it dose show up in time i will have it in my car to show you guys and if not then we will just be talking about it some more.

Zipster called me Last week and told me he was putting it in the mail to me so something must have went wrong in the shipping are the Prototype must have broke are something not sure whats up yet but i will give Zipster a call to night and let you guys know what happened.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
Zipster called me Last week and told me he was putting it in the mail to me so something must have went wrong in the shipping are the Prototype must have broke are something not sure whats up yet but i will give Zipster a call to night and let you guys know what happened.
you never got it? I dropped off 2 prototypes at Zipster's place on May 26, one for you and one for him. I'll get with him offline to see what's up.

Glad to see all the excitement, but as has been said, getting the product to the point where it meets all the performance and quality requirements you'd expect from any other product takes some time.

The best way I know to combat the anxiety is to give an update. I finalized our 1st printed circuit board design and all the drill, solder mask, gerber, and CNC files are done. I am now getting circuit board manufacturers to bid on making these for us. Hopefully I have not screwed anything up, since I have to pay for batches of boards, screwed up or not =)

Next, I will be looking for a manufacturer to make a snazzy enclosure.

Oh, and the final board design is 2-3/4 inches square, so I don't expect the finished controller box to be larger than 3" x 3" x 1"

For those of you on the power tour, it was great hanging out with you guys in Champaign today! so cool.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

It was mentioned as a suggestion a few pages ago, is there going to be some sort of 5v output for a speed sensor built into your box? The reason I'm asking is the Jeep I'm building has a cable drive and the new electronic speed sensor needs a 5v input to function. I can get 5v regulators at Radio Shack but if it's going to be built into your system that will be one less stop on my parts gathering trip.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Just got off the Phone with Zipster and he said he never got my adress and got busy work on his Mustang trying to get it finished for the Hot Rod Power Tour so that way i never got it but he is putting it in the mail and i will have it soon for testing. I have some Big car shows coming up to show it off at so its not to bad and i will be telling all the guys on the Power Tour all the Info i have about it and try and get some of guys that would like to have one when you guys get them ready to sale.

you never got it? I dropped off 2 prototypes at Zipster's place on May 26, one for you and one for him. I'll get with him offline to see what's up.

Glad to see all the excitement, but as has been said, getting the product to the point where it meets all the performance and quality requirements you'd expect from any other product takes some time.

The best way I know to combat the anxiety is to give an update. I finalized our 1st printed circuit board design and all the drill, solder mask, gerber, and CNC files are done. I am now getting circuit board manufacturers to bid on making these for us. Hopefully I have not screwed anything up, since I have to pay for batches of boards, screwed up or not =)

Next, I will be looking for a manufacturer to make a snazzy enclosure.

Oh, and the final board design is 2-3/4 inches square, so I don't expect the finished controller box to be larger than 3" x 3" x 1"

For those of you on the power tour, it was great hanging out with you guys in Champaign today! so cool.

Quick Reply: New mechanical speedometer drive solution