Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mechanical speedometer drive solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@51caddyman to clarify, the device takes the input from the VSS as gospel. But if you change tire size or rearend gear without telling the onboard ECM, the speed reported by the VSS to the speedo driver will be wrong. And it will happily drive the needle to that spot, which will be wrong, off, annoying LOL. However, it does give me stuff to think about when designing the next piece, which was asked for by the carbeureted guys. It'll be a reluctor ring and pickup for guys without the ECM/VSS. Basically it'll be our own VSS. Giving it a slick way for all y'all to enter tire size and rearend gear ratio on the fly recalibrate would seem to be in order.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:55 PM

That sounds great... The other option I've been looking at is adding a 90-92 Chevy DRAC in line between the VSS and the "zipster" unit, with a dip switch mod, I should be able to make up for those gear ratio changes and seeing my 89 ECU doesn't need the input from the VSS (as that was all done on the speedo itself for that year) I don't have to wire that into the ECU itself, as far as I've gathered in my latest round of research. This also might work for anyone with those "in between" transmissions (plus the Zipster Speedo mod), but I still need to do more reading on this suject. Quote: "Digital Ration Adapter Controller (DRAC) and Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer (VSSB) are both electronic devices that simply convert the input AC signal (from the VSS) to a calibrated digital DC signal. The DRAC sends 2,000 digital pulses per mile to the ECM (or in my case the Zipster unit), 4,000 digital pulses per mile to the cruise control module (N/A for now, but that would be nice later), and 128,000 digital pulses per mile to the ABS (yea, no need to hook that wire up) computer. The DRAC and VSSB units are pre-calibrated from the factory according to the vehicle's stock gear ratio, and tire size. But, it can be re-calibrated by simply moving jumpers around." from: http://www.tbichips.com/drac/
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

printed circuit board beta design is locked in and is being manufactured, turn around time at the PCB fab shop is around 2 weeks. Beta enclosures are also ordered. Excited as HELLL.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Impatie...,er, patiently waiting.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Subscribed. Will be swapping a carb'd LSx/T56 into my '66 C10 and I want to keep the stock speedo.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got tired of waiting and ordered my dakota digital today
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leon phelps
got tired of waiting and ordered my dakota digital today
Their digital gauges are nice. Enjoy. Sorry we couldn't get it out fast enough for you Leon. But I'll eat my investment in this project before I ship something that isn't worth installing. If anyone else needs something right now or you're going to melt, DO NOT WAIT for me to finish. If you're on a deadline, get something else. Go to Dakota or AutoMeter or the scrapyard. I can not promise when or if this thing will pass beta QA and/or become available. I wish I could (since actually none of you could possibly be as impatient as I am to release this thing), but I can't.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Speaking of Dakota Digital i found they sell a unit called the SGI-5 -It's basicly a DRAC with the dip-swtich mod in a pretty package for $75 (from Summit). That would be a perfect in-line between the VSS and the Zipster/Invader unit for those of us looking to swap ratios or tires and can't mod it on the PCM. There is something to be said about a new part... I had to zip tie my brake light switch lever arm to my brake pedal arm yesterday to drive home from work, after 61 years the spring finally let go... As for the speedo in the mean time, i just bought a 200W power inverter, installed it behind my dash and ran my cell phone power cord out of my clock hole (I know, that sounds very dirty, but its a big nice hole in my dash from that old 6V clock). Then i just put some velcro on my phone and the support bar in my speedo cluster hole; now I can see how fast i'm going and won't BBQ my phone battery in 15 mins. I love the fact that you won't release an "early" product just because we are badgering you for it!!! That is what makes a great product vs. all the crap out there (cable-X); pride in a job done right, not just in it for the $'s! Stick to it Zipster/Invader; I'll be waiting for you!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

In for end product....
Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 51caddyman
Speaking of Dakota Digital i found they sell a unit called the SGI-5 -It's basicly a DRAC with the dip-swtich mod in a pretty package for $75 (from Summit). That would be a perfect in-line between the VSS and the Zipster/Invader unit for those of us looking to swap ratios or tires and can't mod it on the PCM. There is something to be said about a new part... I had to zip tie my brake light switch lever arm to my brake pedal arm yesterday to drive home from work, after 61 years the spring finally let go... As for the speedo in the mean time, i just bought a 200W power inverter, installed it behind my dash and ran my cell phone power cord out of my clock hole (I know, that sounds very dirty, but its a big nice hole in my dash from that old 6V clock). Then i just put some velcro on my phone and the support bar in my speedo cluster hole; now I can see how fast i'm going and won't BBQ my phone battery in 15 mins. I love the fact that you won't release an "early" product just because we are badgering you for it!!! That is what makes a great product vs. all the crap out there (cable-X); pride in a job done right, not just in it for the $'s! Stick to it Zipster/Invader; I'll be waiting for you!
I checked that out, might work ok. But we have "something in the works".
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Standing by, I'll wait as long as your working on it. Can always use the GPS when needed.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very interested, subscribed. I don't want to muddy the waters but when you are comfortable maybe you could look at a box to make old tachs work with the LSx PCM? I have a schematic and the guy that posted it said anyone was free to make it, but my soldering and electronic fab skills are zero. The components are under $10. Maybe another product to think about?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
Very interested, subscribed. I don't want to muddy the waters but when you are comfortable maybe you could look at a box to make old tachs work with the LSx PCM? I have a schematic and the guy that posted it said anyone was free to make it, but my soldering and electronic fab skills are zero. The components are under $10. Maybe another product to think about?
Most tachs will work by changing the tach resolution in the tune and sometimes you need a pull up resistor, how old of a tach are you trying to use?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Hi Zipster, I waited for over two years for the SpeedChanger Mechanical from Terf inc. in Michigan. Matt told me twice that he would have it ready in a couple of months, so I waited (2.5 years now). I have a GPS that gives me my speed and much more now, but I want my original speedo in the 55 Belair wagon to work again. I will wait for you to get this done, but is there any way that all of us who are waiting could get notified. I check this site at least once a week but if I forget for a couple of weeks or a month I would hate to find out that you completed this project and they were all sold out. I got a nasty response (not from you) when asked if there could be a waiting list for potential customers a month or so ago. But I see several others are waiting as well, so I will continue to follow your progress and hope to be on any early order list if that happens. Thanks, LAkers
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Most tachs will work by changing the tach resolution in the tune and sometimes you need a pull up resistor, how old of a tach are you trying to use?
It is an older Sun Super Tach but not with the remote box like in the '60s. The design the guy showed has a couple of ICs, some resisters, and a capacitor. He is over on LS1tech.com and says it works great.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

how's the beta testing going fella's?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Found the parts I needed to keep my mech speedo at the trans. Now all I need to do is juggle gears to make it read right.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing! This is exactly what i am needing for my wifes turbo 5.3 4l60e build as am wanting to keep the wide sweep speedo cluster. Hope this thing works out!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel
how's the beta testing going fella's?
X2, any updates?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by theastronaut
X2, any updates?
X3, I am interested too.