Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX In 91 C4 Corvette My Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaroboricua
Quick question that maybe you know the answer to. I just finished my 5.3l/ 4L60E swap in the T/A and I was told I need to wire in the TCC to the brake switch. I found the wire on the PCM and tapped into it and hooked it up to the brake switch. The side that shows 12v when pressing the brakes. But I noticed all it did was keep my brake lights on and still doesnt unlock the TCC? Any ideas? thanks, and sorry for the thread hijack.
Try a relay
Standard bosch style relay.

terminal
85 - ground
86 - to brake wiring on car.
30 - to IGN + 12v
87a - to tcc wire/PCM

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...witch-tcc.html
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!!! Thanks for the answer and quick response. I looked and looked and couldnt find the info. Im going to try it out ASAP! I love your build BTW, I want to get a c4 one day and maybe do something just like yours. Its coming along great!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome!!! Thanks for the answer and quick response. I looked and looked and couldnt find the info. Im going to try it out ASAP! I love your build BTW, I want to get a c4 one day and maybe do something just like yours. Its coming along great!
No problem
Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Great build, I like a couple of the tips that you've included!

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
After 2 days of working on it pretty much non stop I have learned two things. One, Putting in a transmission with out a rack and only 13" off the ground is very hard. Two, I'm not as young as I once was.
LOL - You & me both, brother... It's kind of tough sometimes to find the motivation to go out into the garage in the winter & work on the project car, especially when the temp's hovering around the single digits... Even with the garage heater!

It's in!! Right now the Engine, transmission, C-beam, and rear end are mated and everything looks good. This for me is a mile stone. I need to install the drive shaft but I don't see this will be a problem at all.
I'm only chuckling because I've said the exact same thing, and THEN...

Good luck!!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Great build, I like a couple of the tips that you've included!

LOL - You & me both, brother... It's kind of tough sometimes to find the motivation to go out into the garage in the winter & work on the project car, especially when the temp's hovering around the single digits... Even with the garage heater!

I'm only chuckling because I've said the exact same thing, and THEN...

Good luck!!
Its all in now.. just wiring an pluming left .. Wish me luck
Old 01-01-2012, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the relay and its a no go Its still staying locked all the time. Or at least I think it is. When its in drive and I stop, the RPM's go up a bit and the car keeps tryng to move. I tried cutting the purple wire and just having the brake signal going to it and its still the same. Im going to keep looking for a solution but im kinda lost now...lol
Old 01-01-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried the relay and its a no go Its still staying locked all the time. Or at least I think it is. When its in drive and I stop, the RPM's go up a bit and the car keeps tryng to move. I tried cutting the purple wire and just having the brake signal going to it and its still the same. Im going to keep looking for a solution but im kinda lost now...lol
Sorry, Let me know what you find out.
This you ck out this link? https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...witch-tcc.html

Last edited by LSCha0s; 01-01-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the middle of my swap...so will no stock balancer work for this swap? I am guessing they are all to big and I need to get an aftermarket? do you know the part # of the balancer you used
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 84lsvette
I'm in the middle of my swap...so will no stock balancer work for this swap? I am guessing they are all to big and I need to get an aftermarket? do you know the part # of the balancer you used
You can use a stock balancer. I had to get a new one so I went with the Powerbond(SLP 100225 - SLP Harmonic Balancer). What kind of accessories are you running? F-body, Corvette?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

right now I have a truck balancer on it.....which I'm sure will be to big, but I just bought a vette p/s pump along with the vette bracket for the p/s and alt. so corvette accessories. haven't decided on water pump yet but I am looking at an aftermarket one that just has inlet and outlet since I won't need heater hoses...I won't be running an ac compressor either since I will be removing all the ac/heater components to shave some weight and make some room.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

right now I have a truck balancer on it.....which I'm sure will be to big, but I just bought a vette p/s pump along with the vette bracket for the p/s and alt. so corvette accessories. haven't decided on water pump yet but I am looking at an aftermarket one that just has inlet and outlet since I won't need heater hoses...I won't be running an ac compressor either since I will be removing all the ac/heater components to shave some weight and make some room.
You need a vette balancer it doesn't have to be a powerbond.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks for the info. I see I can get a new stock one off of gmpartsdirect for only 64 bux. I'll probably order one of those with my new pan/pickup assembly.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright thanks for the info. I see I can get a new stock one off of gmpartsdirect for only 64 bux. I'll probably order one of those with my new pan/pickup assembly.
I forgot to mention there is a big failure rate with the stock balancer ..
"I read it so it must be true"
Please do some reseach before you go with stock.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Launching!

Wait a minute! Am i reading this correctly? You are putting a 5.3L in your C4 and with the truck crank and aftermarket balancer it is clearing your crossmember ok?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remauto1187
Wait a minute! Am i reading this correctly? You are putting a 5.3L in your C4 and with the truck crank and aftermarket balancer it is clearing your crossmember ok?
I'm not sure if you are talking to me but it is a iron block bored to 5.7 with LS1 heads, forged internals and when I bought it it had Camaro accessories on it. I think the Camaro accessories would have worked but the alternator was too low.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Launching!

I'm not sure if you are talking to me but it is a iron block bored to 5.7 with LS1 heads, forged internals and when I bought it it had Camaro accessories on it. I think the Camaro accessories would have worked but the alternator was too low.
Yeah i am getting ready to do the same thing with my 85. Bore the lm7 5.3l to 5.7l and stick some 243/799 heads on it with ls6 intake.

So your 5.3l is a truck block so it has the truck crankshaft (long snout) on it or did you stick a car 5.7l crank in it? That is what i am going to do with mine.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remauto1187
Yeah i am getting ready to do the same thing with my 85. Bore the lm7 5.3l to 5.7l and stick some 243/799 heads on it with ls6 intake.

So your 5.3l is a truck block so it has the truck crankshaft (long snout) on it or did you stick a car 5.7l crank in it? That is what i am going to do with mine.
It has a 5.7 crank.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't touched the car in two weeks. I have however been planing and sourcing more parts. The last piece I ordered arrived today. I'm hoping to be able to spend all day on it Sunday.
I ordered
Straight Thermostat Housing for LS1 it allowed the use of a standard T-stat From CSR.
Lokar SS braided throttle cable from Jegs.
PS reservoir from TPI parts.
OBDII and VSS connectors from EFI connection.
C5 exhaust flanges from Vette Works.
Teflon SS black Fuel Line and fittings from ANfittingsdirect.
Denso O2 sensors from Rock Auto.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just have to say the guys at the local parts store have been great. I spent a some time looking at the radiator hoses behind the counter. Wow there are hundreds of hoses back there. After coming up empty I looked on the intraweb

I realized the stock C4 hose is the right shape and only needs like 5 inches to be perfect. With that in mind I searched for a 20" hose. I found this dayco hose #71981.

Hopefully i can pick one up locally tomorrow.

The stock bottom hose fit just right I cut off the 90 and it works nicely with my new housing.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I spent 3 days after work looking at racks of hoses and no dice. We cross-referenced the dayco part# ordered an upper hose for a 98-02 Z28 and it fit perfectly. I also realized the heater hose that goes to the coolant reservoir is tapered at the end. I ordered a 91 stock hose I hope it works. If not I will have to fab one up. You guys with 89 or order Vettes are lucky.

I also put in my new Racetronix 255 pump. This kit is great and complete. It came with everything and some nice SS screws.

Quick Reply: LSX In 91 C4 Corvette My Swap