Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 camaro to 70 nova wiring wiring harness suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 01 camaro to 70 nova wiring wiring harness suggestion

Hi guys, im very confused here, i need guide for swaping a ls motor to my 70 nova regarding wiring harness i got lots of question and basickly need a guide about wirings.

My nova right now dont have no kind of wires on it nothing its naked. the good thing is i have a the harness from a 01 camaro ss, i have every single wire that came out of the car uncut or whats so over, i took it off my self. its from the headlights to the tail light. except from the steering wheel column i unplugged the wires that go in the column.

Now; the question? do guys think its possible to put this wire harness to the nova and just delete all the stuff that i don't need. since i have all the sensors that i need for the motor and trans just plug and play and atleast i don't have to deal with fuel pump harness and electric fan and stuff. i greatly appreciate in advance for your help.

Any suggestion? pls help this the only thing that i need now to able for the car to start.

Geoff,

here is the ugly nova

Last edited by dsster; 05-24-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: in accident
Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Turn the 01 engine harness into stand alone and forget the rest from the camaro. Do a search, its been covered hundreds of times
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

So your saying just save the engine harness then? Sory for my ignorance im not good at wiring i hate it.

So if thats the case then i may i have to invest a nova wiring harness's like go for painless wiring or american auto wire like the highway 22 since i don't have anykind of wire in the nova. the key here is to save money as much as i can for wiring harness, since reading from other guys here spend tons of money just to get started.

Last edited by dsster; 05-24-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

contact john at speartech he can get you fixed up
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the suggestion, but i don't want to bother any harness sponsor's here. but it'll be great if they do.

I thought it'll be eaiser to swap the whole harness from the 01 camaro to the nova just the way it is, i carefully took off all the wire's from it and labelled them from point of connection to point of use. the main concern that i have is wires that connect to the steering column and guages (i have new autometer electrical guage 's that i just recently bought).

Im sure there' probably something that i have to modified for the harness to able to work? like vat or sensors?

Im planning to un-install fusses that i don't need like airconditioning, cruise controll, abs, etc... just to able to start the car and get it running prior to retunning the motor since i installed bigger cam and heads set up. thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

speartech can rework your factory harness and ecu so its super simple to drop in and wire up. i had him do mine for my 77 nova.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Ill give it shot and install everything in the nova. its probably worth trying since i don't have no kind of electrical in the nova. that why its called conversion and hybrid.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

F-body harness info, brought to you by lt1swap.com. it's actually not as difficult as it seems.

now, onto the real question... I dig on the wheels -- what brand and specs are those (incl. tires)?

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 05-25-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks i'll look into it when i have a chance.

The wheels are forgeline 3 piece wheels they are the sp3p. 18x9 up front 4.75 backspace with 275 35 18 wheels and the rear are 18x12 6.25 backspace with 345 30 18.

please do not intend to copy this wheel specs for 3rd gen nova's it will not fit not unless your going to modified and upgrade the suspensions pro touring mode. if you got more questions please ask.

Suspension set up are from speedtech performance from front to back. this the only suspension in the market that fit the 345" tires in the rear of the nova. i was originally use the DSE suspension but the tires are way to big for it.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done but it will take some work. I am doing this with my 69 Camaro and I am almost finished. The engine compartment will fit almost like it came from the factory. There will be areas that you need to convert like the light switches, heater fans, etc. If you go that route you gain some modern electrical logic such as the key remote, alarm, etc depending on how far you want to go. The hardest part is wiring the dash but it really isn't that bad.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

nice setup! trust me, i'm not going that big. not soon, anyway. I've got an AME ladder bar setup in the rear (though I'd like to go tri 4-link), which does allow me to run larger tires. I'm working on tubulars a-arms for the front, then likely DSE tubs for the rear to run bigger meats. Right now I'm running 15" Auto Drags w/ pizza cutters up front and ET Streets in the rear (like your previous setup).
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
nice setup! trust me, i'm not going that big. not soon, anyway. I've got an AME ladder bar setup in the rear (though I'd like to go tri 4-link), which does allow me to run larger tires. I'm working on tubulars a-arms for the front, then likely DSE tubs for the rear to run bigger meats. Right now I'm running 15" Auto Drags w/ pizza cutters up front and ET Streets in the rear (like your previous setup).
wher did you see my previous set up at i cant remember posting it. haha
Old 05-26-2011, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
It can be done but it will take some work. I am doing this with my 69 Camaro and I am almost finished. The engine compartment will fit almost like it came from the factory. There will be areas that you need to convert like the light switches, heater fans, etc. If you go that route you gain some modern electrical logic such as the key remote, alarm, etc depending on how far you want to go. The hardest part is wiring the dash but it really isn't that bad.
Ok cool, im more confidence now installing everything in the nova. im not gona need no heater nor airconditioning. the main key here is to get the car running. the light switches should be easy to install since i took all necessary switches that came from the dashboard of the camaro.

The main concern that i have is the wires that go from the steering column, i basicly just unplugged the connections on it from the camaro. need to find out which color wire to connect to the main key to power up everything or to start the car without pressing the clutch and etc. im goin to need your help coordinating installing this set up since you have already done it. let me know if you need anything for your camaro i might have it laying around in the garage. thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=67589

I just reread your original post. That sounds like it could be a pretty mean setup, and much cheaper than making a stand-alone then buying a $500 AA or Painless harness. That link I gave you will help w/ the engine/trans stuff, but you should still be able to find a full schematic for the 01 Camaro - try www.alldatadiy.com. Like ghost said, it's not that difficult; just know you're likely going to need to solder some stuff. good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P'm me and I can give you some more info along with some pics and tell you exactly what I have done and which way to go along with schematics. The switches, etc can be adapted to your existing switches to keep a stock looking dash with 4th gen logic. I put in power door locks but not windows. Everything is wired to the dash. The column wiring is almost identical to the older column wiring but I am using the new column right now. Lighting includes the auto-on. BCM controls door lights. Added lights everywhere I could including moving to the new mirror with the map lights. Heater and A/C were wired to the new setup. I am working on the stereo. The engine compartment wiring is almost a bolt in and fits in the stock locations. All that needs to be done is to adapt the lights and horn.

Quick Reply: 01 camaro to 70 nova wiring wiring harness suggestion