Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request for sticky... how to be legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.

I'm getting close to having an EROD installed & CA emissions is one of my concerns. Local dealers tell me it's no problem, but...

I'm impressed by the response Philntx got from the Texas DOT, I tried contacting the CA BAR & got no response. You would think they would want to help folks who want to comply...just too busy and/or no budget I suppose. If anyone knows who to contact in CA please let me know. I just don't want any avoidable surprises.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
Subscribed.

I'm getting close to having an EROD installed & CA emissions is one of my concerns. Local dealers tell me it's no problem, but...

I'm impressed by the response Philntx got from the Texas DOT, I tried contacting the CA BAR & got no response. You would think they would want to help folks who want to comply...just too busy and/or no budget I suppose. If anyone knows who to contact in CA please let me know. I just don't want any avoidable surprises.
Same about the response to Philntx... I thought "DUH, just email or send a letter to the DMV/Emissions place". Seems so simple.

Once I find who I should be contacting I'm going to start asking for MD.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 118 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/MVA-Prog...IP/default.htm
Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed.

It actually took me about a month to get to the "right person" who helped me. If I remember right, I think I went through about 5 or 6 different people and then a couple of phone calls. Finally got to the person who said that he could help. By just following his advice, I was able to meet the TxDot regulations. I just didn't want to build it and then have it fail at the inspection station.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried contacting the CA BAR & got no response. You would think they would want to help folks who want to comply...just too busy and/or no budget I suppose. If anyone knows who to contact in CA please let me know. I just don't want any avoidable surprises.
You do not want to talk with a guy in Bar... you do not want to talk with a guy in CARB. You want to talk with a smog referee. Even more than that, you want to talk with the ref in your area.

For CA, the ref main number is 1-800-622-7733. For menu options, I did 1, 0, 1, 3.

CARB doesn't have ANY idea on smog legal swaps. They deal with smog legal aftermarket parts.

BAR was no help and gave a LOT of conflicting/wrong information. Iron block LSx and gross vehicle weight issues in particular.

When I jumped through all the hoops to get a hold of a smog referee, I had to leave my name and number. I eventually got a call back.

I talked with John Balzar in Sacramento(916-491-4461) He was VERY helpful and listened to all my questions fully before answering. His answers were exactly what I expected(ie logical)

But again, you want to talk with the ref in YOUR area because that is who you will be dealing when you drive in. They may have a slightly different interpretation.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

We have referees here in CO and contacting one is the best option for info in our state.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lil'John
You do not want to talk with a guy in Bar...
Thanks for the info, I'll follow up on that.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Request for sticky... how to be legal?