Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in Nova with Heidt's clip-motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 in Nova with Heidt's clip-motor mounts

I'm installing an LS1 in my 66 Nova with a Heidt's SuperideII and a manual rack. I bought a set of Energy suspension conversion mounts, the short and wide type. The motor has an f body oil pan. The oil pan hits on the drivers side of the rack. What are you guys that are running this combination using for mounts? Should I have bought the tall and narrow type?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default Mounts

I have a TCI and i have a ES mounts and a F-Body pan no problems.

Steve
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Steve, Are you using the short and wide mounts or the tall and narrow?
Thanks Jeff
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default Mounts

Not sure but i have two of these i will let you decide what i am using
send me a reg email i will try to send a picture if i find one
can't find a picture

67 (Just a Cheap mount ?)

Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 337 Likes on 247 Posts

All I can say is good luck!

Here's what I did with my 67 Nova with Heidt superide. LS1/4L60E. All though not a manual rack, I have a power rack and the pan hit the rack by at least 3/8".

I don't believe the tall and narrow mounts fit the Heidt cradle mounts. I cut the top of the cradle mounts off and raised the "tubes" for the motor mount bolts up 5/8". Used the wide mounts.

You may not with the manual rack need to go up that much.

Next is the sway bar. I tried the fbody pan with the superide swaybar and could not see any way it would fit and MORE IMPORTANTLY WORK with the sway bar as it swings in an arc as the a-arms move up and down. It wiill bolt in but as the a-arms move it will either hit the pan or the rear of the cross member. I ended up with a Auto Kraft pan. Cures the sway bar problem but does nothing for the rack issue.

I called Heidt to ask about both above. When I bought the superide I told them I was installing LS1/4L60E combo. They said NOOOO problem it will bolt right in. When it didn't I called them and they said and I quote "It should fit".

Quite clear they never actually installed a LS1/4L60E in a superide designed for a SB chevy.

The 3/4" front sway bar is pretty small for any sprited driving. The coilover springs I received with the superide were #350 LB. Had to change them out for 500 LB because it leaned allot in the corners. Heidt only charged me a mere $100 for new springs. No consideration if I returned the "old" springs with 500 miles on them.

A bit of a rant but I tell it like it is. Not my first car fabrication rodeo and when I pay the cost Heidt is asking I expect stuff to fit and perform.

Now that it's in and I've driven it 2000 miles it works good. Goes down the road straight. Handles nice.

Would I buy from them again? Unless their design and tech support improves their little chance.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default Clips

Sorry for all your issues i have a TCI without PS and one With PS no problems with either .....i guess i am glad i have TCI clips and i live in Heidts backyard.

Steve
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 337 Likes on 247 Posts

The bad part about raising the engine up is the drive line angle is increased and starts to create u-joint angle problems. I do have the Heidt 4-link in the rear. It did bolt right in with no problems. The 4-link allows pinion angle adjustment quite easliy. If you are running leaf springs it's not so easy.

As you raise the motor mounts up and then lift the tailshaft of the trans to minimize the drive line angle the trans runs into the tunnel. My 67 previously had a L92/tko600 combo so the tunnel was modified for that trans. I put my LS1/4L60E in and pushed it up with 1/4" clearance to the top of the modified tunnel. Engine angle measured at the balancer with a magnetic protractor is 4degrees.

Raising the engine solves the pan hitting the rack problem. Does nothing for the sway bar hitting the Fbody pan. Heidt does not have retro sway bar kit that moves the sway bar to the front.

I did look at the TCI stuff. Front clip and rear four link. I had a Heidts MII clip with a SB chev/700R in a previous 67 Nova and it worked good so that's why I went with them again. I thought the superide would be a nice upgrade. Unless they have changed something, the superide with a LS1/4L60e is not a bolt in with a power rack and you will need an aftermarket pan to clear rthe sway bar. Oh and the 500# springs are firm but not harsh at all.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default Mounts for LS in Heidt's

Steve,
Thanks for the pictures and info. My mounts look just like yours, but my clip looks quite a bit different.

TJ, Thanks for the info. I may have to raise my mounts too. I'm not running a sway bar. Mine is a pro street/ drag car , I'm not worried about cornering.
I have to build a tunnel, so clearance won't be a problem. It's a square tube chassis behind the clip, so I'm installing a new crossmember and I can adjust the driveline angles easily. I didn't think the motor mounts would be a problem.
If you guys are on Steve's Nova Site I posted some pictures in my photo album tonite.
Thanks Again
Jeff

Quick Reply: LS1 in Nova with Heidt's clip-motor mounts