Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
I ordered mine from GM and the tube does not come painted. .
So what year and model did you use when ordering? I need a tube/stick that comes near the back of the block, but not up too high. (70 Camaro/LS eng./4L65E)

thanks again,
Jim
Old 10-16-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
So what year and model did you use when ordering? I need a tube/stick that comes near the back of the block, but not up too high. (70 Camaro/LS eng./4L65E)

thanks again,
Jim
I ordered a tube/stick for a 2006 Pontiac GTO, which is GM p/n 92159815
LS2 Tranmission dipstick tube, $39.55.

The guy at the parts counter said all the 4L60/65 trans tube/stick for cars were the same and that it would also work in my 4L70E. I haven't actually installed it yet as the motor is in the car, but it looks like it will stick up quite a bit above the engine.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmf5150
looking good!
Thanks! I just wish I would get some time to work on, before I do something crazy and order this... https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/pr...-%26-Cam-Combo
Old 10-17-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed! I am also in the process of an LS1/T56 conversion in my 67 camaro. yours is much further than mine though. Great work on the car, looks great and should drive even "greater" than before!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MisterD
Subscribed! I am also in the process of an LS1/T56 conversion in my 67 camaro. yours is much further than mine though. Great work on the car, looks great and should drive even "greater" than before!
Thanks. I am really not that far away from driving this thing. I just need my harness and some time to actually work on it, but with winter coming who knows what additional enhancements I may make to the motor....
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Garage Updates...

Well I am still not finding any significant amount of time to work on the car and with winter fast approaching or any chance of working on the car will stop due to the temperature. I decided to install a Mr. Heater 45,000 btu garage heater. It will run off natural gas, tied into the house line, and controlled via thermostat. Of course this little project requires me to paint a section of the garage first. I will finishing painting the rest of the garage over the winter (hopefully).

Just painting a small section where the heater will be installed. I have 10' ceilings and plan to paint the ceiling and upper portion of the wall white, the bottom portion grey and then put a red stripe separating the colors.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

The guy at the parts counter said all the 4L60/65 trans tube/stick for cars were the same and that it would also work in my 4L70E. I haven't actually installed it yet as the motor is in the car, but it looks like it will stick up quite a bit above the engine.
Thanks for the info and heads up
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Great project Rocketrod, We have a lot in common, No time to make great progress on our projects, we both are installing a 2008 SS Trail Blazer LS2/ 4L70E that we both purchased from Travis in late 2010, He is a great guy to deal with if any one is needing an LS setup and usually has great LS setup for sale.
Picture at Travis's place, My LS2/4L70E with only 6,800 miles

There is a couple of thing I have found out about the 4L70E, the speed sensors fail and the Input shaft is very weak and usually fails in most SS Trail Blazers in less than 10,000 mile, or so I read on the Trail Blazer forums. When you increase HP the Trans will be short lived if you drive the car as had as most gear heads, such as myself, will do. Also The stock Flex plate is prone to failure as well, the plate seam to crack through the center section and the welds around the ring gear also have been known to fail, this will also destroy the transmission input shaft. One of our work trucks in our fleet recently had this very same thing happen.

I up graded my LS2 to the Trick flow 225 head and cam combo like the link that is posted above, Trick flow claims that the 225 comb makes 550 FWHP on a stock short block and long tube headers. Well when I order Stall converter from Yank performance They are the ones that brought it to my attention that the 4L70E was loaded with problems that were going to show up as soon as I start beaten on the car even in the smallest ways. Well this lead to a rebuild by a Finish line Transmission out of Chicago, these guys, along with RPM transmission are High recommended and respected through my research. Andy from Finish Line set me up with a set up that will hold up to 600 HP and has a life time warranty on parts and a 2 year on labor.

Finish Line transmission, Yank Stall converter, and a TCI flex plate

Who are you using for your Programming? I'm looking for some to Program mine as well as remove the VATS and rear O2 sensors. Steve Frost has been Highly recommended, I hope to use his services, however he is hard to get a hold of due to his busy schedule.

I just recently droped in my LS setup and I'm now working on each system slowly as I have time to work on the car.

Here are a few threads I started for my build.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...under-way.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ls-teaser.html

One other reason I posted here (my first post after lurking for a long while) is because I would like to keep up with your build. Great looking car by the way.

Riggs.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riggs 74
There is a couple of thing I have found out about the 4L70E, the speed sensors fail and the Input shaft is very weak and usually fails in most SS Trail Blazers in less than 10,000 mile, or so I read on the Trail Blazer forums....
Thanks for the compliments. Yes Travis is a great guy. I still talk with him on a pretty regular basis. During my down time I have been selling left over car parts and researching some things I have been wanting to do......

Hang in there on your build it will come together and before you know it you will be driving it! It will be worth it in the end!

I up graded my LS2 to the Trick flow 225 head and cam combo like the link that is posted above, Trick flow claims that the 225 comb makes 550 FWHP on a stock short block and long tube headers.....
Your killing me!!! I had just fought off the last round with the horsepower demons and you post this!!! I am really just wanting to install the stock motor and drive the car, but we will see what happens.

.... Well this lead to a rebuild by a Finish line Transmission out of Chicago, these guys, along with RPM transmission are High recommended and respected through my research. Andy from Finish Line set me up with a set up that will hold up to 600 HP and has a life time warranty on parts and a 2 year on labor....
Did you go with a Level 4, 5,?. IF I end up modding the engine I was going to go with one of the companies you mentioned. I have the $$$ to do it, but I don't know if I have the desire to do it. I really just want to drive the car...

Who are you using for your Programming? I'm looking for some to Program mine as well as remove the VATS and rear O2 sensors. Steve Frost has been Highly recommended, I hope to use his services, however he is hard to get a hold of due to his busy schedule.
I am having SSP Wiring build me a new harness and reprogram the ECM & TCM. IF I upgrade the engine I will probably do a mail order tune to get me going then search for someone within driving distance to dyno tune it.

Awesome build!!! The motor is incredible and will fit nicely in the vette. I like the old school Chevy orange.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Awesome build!! Did you go with the standard height global west body mounts or the
1/2" drop?

What is your total cost for everything so far in the install including motor?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Default ls2

Rod,

I too thought the tranny dipstick was waaay too long, so I asked Brian if he could cut it back a bit. He pulled the stick out, drilled out the rivet holding it to the handle, then cut it and the tube back to the length you see in the pic. Factory looking fresh!!!

TC

Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tango68ss
Rod,

I too thought the tranny dipstick was waaay too long, so I asked Brian if he could cut it back a bit. He pulled the stick out, drilled out the rivet holding it to the handle, then cut it and the tube back to the length you see in the pic. Factory looking fresh!!!

TC

Thanks for the suggestion on modding the dipstick. Out of curiosity, who manufactured the radiator in your pic?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drenner43
Awesome build!! Did you go with the standard height global west body mounts or the
1/2" drop?
Standard.

What is your total cost for everything so far in the install including motor?
Total so far is $9,989.60. I could have done this cheaper, but I decided to upgrade a few items: headers & gas tank, plus I had a new harnes built. I still need to get a radiator, belts, hoses and some other miscellaneous items. I should come in around $11,500 when I am done.

LS2/4L70E - $4800
VaporWorx stainless steel fuel tank w/ fuel sender - $1595
New harness and tune/unlock ECM - $600
LS2 Corvette TB - $125
Shipping ECM, TCM, MAF and pedal to SSP Wiring - $24.87
Mast Motorsports oil pan - $450
Transmission filter - $16.23
Headers - $749
Engine brackets/mounts - $109
S&P Tranny crossmember - $175.95
1 quart, Bright Silver - $30
8oz Hardener - $16.8
1 quart, reducer - $10.85
SEM Gray etch primer (aeresol) - $16.25
Truck/2010 Camaro LSx Alternator and PS pump bracket - $284.5
Truck/2010 Camaro LSx AC bracket kit - $190.5
A/C compressor - $230
LS2 intake with bolts, gaksets, injectors and rails - $293
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Sets - $75.75
Percy's Split Lock Friction Lock Header Bolts - $63.21
Oil Pressure Adapter, 1/8 in. NPT Female to 16mm x 1.5 Male - $10.8
FI Adapter -6AN to 5/16" - $18.39
Cylinder Head Temperature Sending Unit - $10.8
Water temp Adapter, 1/8 in. NPT Female, 12mm x 1.5 Male - $10.8
LS2 Tranmission dipstick indicator - $12.85
LS2 Tranmission dipstick tube - $39.55
LS2 Dipstick - $16.25
LS2 Dipstick tube - $14.25
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn guys. Both motors are lookin killer!!! Rod.. your Camaro loooks bad azz.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Damn guys. Both motors are lookin killer!!! Rod.. your Camaro loooks bad azz.
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Teching In

ahh ok, I've got a 68 and I've been debating forever about putting the 1/2" drop bushings in but I'm afraid I'll have clearance issues.

That's not too awfully bad for a full build and install. It's gonna be killer when you finish. Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radiator in question seems to be the one from Ebay. Entropy makes them for around $700 with the fans. BMF150 has the same setup.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Rocketrod;15567813]Your killing me!!! I had just fought off the last round with the horsepower demons and you post this!!! I am really just wanting to install the stock motor and drive the car, but we will see what happens.

Sorry I don't mean to put HP demon's in your head, LOL. I knew that if I didn't do the HP upgrades now I would be kicking myself latter. I never seam to have any time for what I want to do so I figured that I better do it right the first time. I have had to much experience with being disappointed in the end after building what ever it is I'm building to find that I am not happy with the HP level in the end, I thought the 550 HP set up would be a great place to start and who knows it might be enough for this car. I know even after the car is back together I will probably want to run a super charger on it but that will have to be a little latter after the LS is in and ran for at least one summer season.

Did you go with a Level 4, 5,?. IF I end up modding the engine I was going to go with one of the companies you mentioned. I have the $$$ to do it, but I don't know if I have the desire to do it. I really just want to drive the car...

I believe it is level 5, I wanted to go 6, but Andy said for the street and track use I will be doing with the car, the level six was not really necessary. He said If it was being used as a drag car thats when he felt I should step up to that level. Level 6 is just the Billet output shaft, for another $500.

I am having SSP Wiring build me a new harness and reprogram the ECM & TCM. IF I upgrade the engine I will probably do a mail order tune to get me going then search for someone within driving distance to dyno tune it.

So I take it that you are having a harness built? I had my SS TB reworked and wish I had just had one built instead so the harness would have put the ECM and TCM inside the car rather than in the engine bay on the driver side wheel well.

QUOTE]

Riggs

Last edited by Riggs 74; 11-01-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

...That's not too awfully bad for a full build and install. It's gonna be killer when you finish. Thanks for the info!!
Thanks again and glad I could help.

Originally Posted by tsnow678
The radiator in question seems to be the one from Ebay. Entropy makes them for around $700 with the fans. BMF150 has the same setup.
Thanks, thats what I thought...

Sorry I don't mean to put HP demon's in your head, LOL. I knew that if I didn't do the HP upgrades now I would be kicking myself latter. I never seam to have any time for what I want to do so I figured that I better do it right the first time. I have had to much experience with being disappointed in the end after building what ever it is I'm building to find that I am not happy with the HP level in the end....
LOL.....I am concerned I will be kicking myself also. I have the $$$, but I am just tired of working on this car.

So I take it that you are having a harness built? I had my SS TB reworked and wish I had just had one built instead so the harness would have put the ECM and TCM inside the car rather than in the engine bay on the driver side wheel well.
Yes I am having one built. The harness will be long enough to mount on the radiator support or underneath passenger seat.

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install