Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry RocketRod I must not have had my coffee before I posted. Seems you are ahead of the game.

Awesome build and one bad *** Camaro!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Sorry RocketRod I must not have had my coffee before I posted. Seems you are ahead of the game.

Awesome build and one bad *** Camaro!!!
No problem. It's always nice to have a second set of eyes looking things over...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after years off working off the garage floor, boxes, etc my neighbor (95 Z/28 LT1) and I got together and built some very simple workbenches. We used these instructions, http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm , as a based and modified them slightly. I made the base 6' wide and added an 8' long 1.5" thick top. As you can see from the picture I could already use more space!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found some free time to install the gas tank. Prior to installing I have heard from quite a few people that there are issues with the fuel level sending units in these tanks. So to avoid the frustration I replaced it with a 5th gen Camaro in tank fuel level sensor. I bought this and the 5th gen Camaro tank harness from CarlC for $124 shipped.

The new fuel level sensor required a new fuel level gauge, since the signal is not your standard 0-90 ohm, but rather 0-280 ohm. I purchased an Autometer Ultra-lite gauge (p/n 4310) from Summit Racing for $118.

The only thing left is to run my fuel line and and I need to figure out a vent system for the tank. I would like to run a charcoal cansister setup, but that may prove difficult given how close the vent is to the trunk pan.

tank installed....I didn't weigh it, but the stainless tanks weigh a ton compared to a stock tank!

Last edited by Rocketrod; 09-30-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!!I love my rocks hit rod gas tank!except for sending unit!going to get a custome one made! Makes them and seems to work great from what I'm told!!here is there numberdum800-888-8065
Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another piece of advice,make sure your fuel pump is plenty big for your engine setup,I didn't realize it buy mine was under sized and didn't realize till tank was in and fuel in tank!!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Very nice!!I love my rocks hit rod gas tank!except for sending unit!going to get a custome one made! Makes them and seems to work great from what I'm told!!here is there numberdum800-888-8065
I opted for the 5th gen Camaro fuel level sensor since my tank has a 5th gen Camaro fuel module. It clips on to the fuel module.....I would post pics of it, but they accidentally got deleted off the memory card.

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Another piece of advice,make sure your fuel pump is plenty big for your engine setup,I didn't realize it buy mine was under sized and didn't realize till tank was in and fuel in tank!!
Unless the horsepower bug get a holds of me I should be good. The pump is good for approximately 600hp....we will see.

Last edited by Rocketrod; 02-04-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Time for another update. I finally decided to go with the GMPP Corvette accessory drive setup using a 2009-2012 Corvette water pump, which places the upper radiator hose on the driver side. This makes it a little easier to re-use my old radiator setup versus buying a new one.
  • p/n 19155067 GMPP Corvette Accessory Drive w/ A/C
  • p/n 251728 AC Delco Water pump with upper radiator hose outlet on driver side
  • p/n 12635649 GM Harmonic Balancer
  • p/n 12557840 Balancer bolt

Last night I got around to painting the accessory drive setup and water pump. It went pretty good considering my detail gun wouldn't work and I had to spray everything with the larger spray gun. There were a couple minor runs, but overall I am very happy with the end results. Unfortunately the pics aren't that good.

After sanding everything with 80 and 180 grits sanding paper, then cleaned I applied a couple light coats of SEM Etching primer to all the pieces

Here is most of the part after 3-4 coats of Shop Line single stage Poly Silver.

Here is a pick with all the parts mocked up again after painting

Old 02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Great looking setup. That is a nice choice for using the newer corvette Water pump, that will shorten up the routing of the upper radiator hose, make things look alot cleaner under the hood.

Riggs
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riggs 74
Great looking setup. That is a nice choice for using the newer corvette Water pump, that will shorten up the routing of the upper radiator hose, make things look alot cleaner under the hood.

Riggs
Thanks....yes it should clean things up quite a bit. No I just need to get the clearance issues worked out with my headers and a engine harness, then I can install everything.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rod that is looking very nice! Glad its all working out for you.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Rod that is looking very nice! Glad its all working out for you.
Thanks and I appreciate the work on finding the water pump! Now if I can just make a decision on what to do with my harness....
Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good!i did same thing!really makes a difference in looking in the engine compartment when done!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Thanks and I appreciate the work on finding the water pump! Now if I can just make a decision on what to do with my harness....

Glad to help! Gives me something to do. Did you ever check on pricing from Travis (daytonayellaz) I like what I have seen from him over on PT.com.

Going back to our PM's I was messing around with my harness again yesterday and the closer I look at it the less I like it. I might end up pulling all the wrapping off of it to try and make things look neater. I really am having a hard time coming up with a way to cleanly mount the computers and the fuse block.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to help! Gives me something to do. Did you ever check on pricing from Travis (daytonayellaz) I like what I have seen from him over on PT.com.
Yes. I actually talk with Travis regularly. I can pm you details if you'd like.

Going back to our PM's I was messing around with my harness again yesterday and the closer I look at it the less I like it. I might end up pulling all the wrapping off of it to try and make things look neater. I really am having a hard time coming up with a way to cleanly mount the computers and the fuse block.
Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time finding a place inside the car to mount them. The Vintage Air Gen IV evaporator is enormous and takes up a lot of space.

The more I research this and hear from others I am considering just modifying the harness I got, but I am really just not in the mood to mess with it. I need to figure something out soon and driving season isn't too far away.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah PM me what he said so I can have it for future reference.

I hear you on driving season, its sneaking up on us quick. I bet your excited to see what all the hype is about with these swaps!!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah PM me what he said so I can have it for future reference.
Will do

...I bet your excited to see what all the hype is about with these swaps!!
Yes I am!! My car has been apart for over FIVE years and I am ready to drive it again! I am sure it will be a night and day experience going from the old 350hp SBC, to the 420hp+ LS2! Hopefully I can take it on a leg, or two of the Hot Rod Power Tour this year!!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after mocking up my corvette accessory drive I had a clearance issue trying to adapt the factory power steering pump fitting to -6AN using a Russells 16mm male to -6an adapter. In the end, I found a custom fitting made by Detroit Speed Eng. p/n 090401. This fitting replaces the factory outlet fitting in the pump with a custom fitting that is converted to a -6AN. It cost $18 plus $11 S&H (ouch)
http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...tlt-fttng.html

Here is a side by side comparison. The DSE fitting on the right is a good 1/4" shorter. Be careful when you remove the factory fitting as there is a spring and plastic cup that you don't want to lose.

Here is a pic with a 90 degree -6AN fitting installed. There is not a ton of clearance, but it will work without removing the pulley to get the hose off.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a little time to work on the car this weekend. No progress pics, but I drew up my electrical schematic and got my dbw pedal mounted. I still need weld in some gussets and paint it, but the hard part is done. Now I just need to mount the ECM/TCM and decide which fuse/relay panel I want and order some wire. I also need to figure out what to do about the clearance issue on the high pressure power steering hose. once I get these issues resolved the motor goes in!!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rocketrod,SP sells a piece of hard line that come around the back and ties into the AN braided line,that's an option for u too

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install