Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rod, what I did on my PS hose was I bought the hose for the corvette, then took it to PowerHose and they cut off the hardline, brazed a -AN fitting to it, then I made a stainless braided hose to go from that to my box.

Glad you are making progress. My car is down at the moment. I've got a transmission problem. I'm hoping its only a bad convertor but not sure. I really wish I would have stuck with my original plan when doing this conversion rather than buy the LS2/4L70 combo. I've had to replace almost everything except the long block! Now, I may end up building a new transmission too! Live and learn I guess.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Rocketrod,SP sells a piece of hard line that come around the back and ties into the AN braided line,that's an option for u too
Thanks for the info. I would really like to look at S&P offerings, but I swear they designed their website to ELIMINATE ALL sales and traffic. I will have to torture myseff though and try to find it, plus I need one of there swivel thermostat housings.

Originally Posted by ModMuscle
Rod, what I did on my PS hose was I bought the hose for the corvette, then took it to PowerHose and they cut off the hardline, brazed a -AN fitting to it, then I made a stainless braided hose to go from that to my box.

Glad you are making progress. My car is down at the moment. I've got a transmission problem. I'm hoping its only a bad convertor but not sure. I really wish I would have stuck with my original plan when doing this conversion rather than buy the LS2/4L70 combo. I've had to replace almost everything except the long block! Now, I may end up building a new transmission too! Live and learn I guess.
Sorry to hear about the trans problems. Who did you buy the LS2/4L70 combo from?

I keep in my the corvette hose, but I had to complicate things by installing a hydraboost so I have a couple hoses that need to be altered. I have the high psi ps pump to hydraboost hose solution. I have a clearance issue with the high psi hose that goes from the hydraboost. My Stainless Works headers and gearbox have about 1/16" clearance (see pics in previous posts). If they don't exchange them for the new design I will have to make something to gain some clearance, or just beat the h$ll out of them with a hammer (just kidding).
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rocketrod

Sorry to hear about the trans problems. Who did you buy the LS2/4L70 combo from?

Same place you did.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ModMuscle
Same place you did.
That's not good to hear....pm sent.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Teching In

I did some research after I bought my LS2/4L70 setup and found out that the 4L70e has had nothing but problems in the SS Trail Blazers, until you replace the input shaft and solenoids, So I went ahead and had http://www.finishlinetrans.com/ build me one, I was a little pissed to find the 4L70e's are prone to fail, but after having Finish Line build me a stage 5, I fill good about my setup now. Finish line was highly recommended by others. Hind site being 20/20, I wouldn't have bought a combo with the 4L70E. I would have done a 6 speed manual.

Riggs
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riggs 74
I did some research after I bought my LS2/4L70 setup and found out that the 4L70e has had nothing but problems in the SS Trail Blazers, until you replace the input shaft and solenoids, So I went ahead and had http://www.finishlinetrans.com/ build me one, I was a little pissed to find the 4L70e's are prone to fail, but after having Finish Line build me a stage 5, I fill good about my setup now. Finish line was highly recommended by others. Hind site being 20/20, I wouldn't have bought a combo with the 4L70E. I would have done a 6 speed manual.

Riggs
I have heard similar things, but I am hoping since I am not modding the motor it will last longer....I am sure that's not the case, but one can hope. In hindsight I problably would have went a different route instead of LS2/4l70 but it is a little late now...

Last edited by Rocketrod; 02-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I used a Griffin radiator that I got from Summit. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Here is a couple of pic's of the setup.

What kind of fan is that? I have the same radiator and I'm looking for a inexpensive fan
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I had to work this weekend, but I found a little time to work on the car. Nothing major, but I did make a couple brackets to mount my transmission cooler. I am also putting the finishing touches on the mounting bracket for the gas pedal.

To mount the cooler I had an extra set of MSD vibration mounts laying around so I secured them to the a/c condenser, then made a couple small brackets out of 16 gauge sheet metal and fastened everything together with stainless bolts & nuts. Nothing fancy, but is functional. Here are a few pics of the transmission cooler mounted.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

FWIW................ I read you shouldn't have the ports on the bottom as it may/will trap air. again....... FWIW
Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
FWIW................ I read you shouldn't have the ports on the bottom as it may/will trap air. again....... FWIW
Thanks...I will have to research this some.....I was told it was fine as long as the ports weren't at the top.

Ten minutes later.....
OK....I just checked out the B&M website, B&M Trans Cooler Install Instructions and they said not to install the way I did. Thanks for pointing that out Jimbo1367!!!! I will go out and flip it so the ports are coming out the top.

Last edited by Rocketrod; 02-26-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Glad I could help
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

No kidding, I never heard that about the cooler ports coming out the bottom. Well now it looks like i have more work ahead of me as well... Good tip!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
No kidding, I never heard that about the cooler ports coming out the bottom. Well now it looks like i have more work ahead of me as well... Good tip!
Yeah.....it's kind of funny when I was searching the net almost all trans cooler install articles showed the cooler installed the way I did, so I decided to look at B&M's instructions, which confirmed Jimbo's suggestion.

Last edited by Rocketrod; 08-11-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I made a little progress this weekend. I just about finished my gas pedal mount. The wire feed on my welder was acting up so don't ask for any closeup of the welding job as it isn't very pretty.

I also spent a little time cleaning up the engine bay wiring, pretty much finalized which fuseblock and I going to build and how it will be installed. The highlight of the day though was teaching my son how to properly crimp and solder wire. He/we did several butt splices. Everything turned out well and he seemed to be enjoying himself.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put the finishing touches on the gas pedal mount. Just need to paint it and bolt it in! I hope the my new header arrives this week....if it does the motor should go in next weekend!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls3Chevelle72
What kind of fan is that? I have the same radiator and I'm looking for a inexpensive fan
They are stock f-body fans.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made a little headway. Last Friday I recieved a new redeisgned driverside header from Stainless Works. Multiple people had expressed concerns about clearance issues ans Stainless Works stepped up and corrected the problem. All I had to do was box up the header and return it, Stainless Works paid for shipping. To say the least I am extremely impressed with there customer service!

Here us a pic of the original header had about 1/16 inch clearance bettween the #3 tube and the high pressure line and the #1 tube lightly touched the gearbox.

Here is the new header the #1 tube clears the grearbox and the #3 tube has a little over a 1/4" clearance. The only downside is with the #1 tube location there is not enough room to remove one of the UCA nuts. No biggie as I will be installing new UCAs soon, ordered them today, and will be installing a shorter bolt then.

Nothing special...just a pic of the installed motor. It sure does look a lot nicer installed than sitting on the garage floor. Now the fun begins!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you think they did to the header? Did they modify yours and send it back or is it a new one?

It looks good in there, won't be long now!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
What do you think they did to the header? Did they modify yours and send it back or is it a new one?

It looks good in there, won't be long now!
I talked to Stainless Works and they made me a new header. The one I sent in will be used as a display model for distributors.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 AM
FormerVendor

Looking good Rod!

-Jason

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install