Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
Mine wont be as mild tho, I plan for a TVS2300 on a forged 408 w/ an 80E on a trans brake... But once I get this one under my belt things should go pretty smooth with mine. So you would figure lol
This car is going to be a handful, but fun to drive if you can get the power to the ground! If you do your homework, like you are, these swaps really aren't that difficult.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 164 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
If you do your homework, like you are, these swaps really aren't that difficult.
Im seeing that.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't been posting much lately, but a lot has been going on with the car. For starters I bought HP Tuners Pro and a PLX Wideband/Air Fuel Gauge Previously I had a friend look at the tune put on my car by SSP Wiring and it is just horrid. We spent a few hours yesterday adjusting the tables (timing and fuel). There is still quite a bit that needs to be finalized on the tune, but the car just screams now!

I also pulled the trigger on an early Christmas present. I bought a Ridetech Level 2 Coilover front and rear suspension with the Front Musclebar. I also opted for the Tru Turn package, which will allow me to run up to 275s on the front.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 164 Likes on 135 Posts

For starters I bought HP Tuners Pro and a PLX Wideband/Air Fuel Gauge
These will be the best tools in you're tool box!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
These will be the best tools in you're tool box!
Yes it will and it will be by far the most complex tool to figure out.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile Holley 20-134 LS AC bracket installed

I installed the Holley bracket with a SD7 A/C compressor this weekend. The install was pretty straight forward and Holley's instructions were spot on! It was refreshing to actually have instructions that matched reality.

I still need to still need to check the clearance of the water pump boss and serpentine belt after running the motor as it is pretty close (this was mentioned in Holley's instructions). I also need to find another location to mount the the PVC catch and trim the engine cover to fit. Overall I am very happy with the quality and looks of the bracket, but I did paint it before I installed it.

The only frustration was getting the correct belt. I ended up going to Auto Zone because they were the only ones locally that could look up the belt based on length, 6PKxxxx (where xxxx is the length of belt in millimeters) versus specific application. I ended up buying four different length belts.

I have installed the Kwik and Holley A/C bracket and personally the Holley bracket is a much easier install (fewer pieces), but I doubt you could go wrong with either.

Here is a list of the parts I used, bear in mind I was using a GM 19155067 Corvette accessory drive setup. All of the part number listed, except the belt, were obtained by cross referencing the part numbers listed in Holley's instructions.. I'll post more pics once I get te PVC, CAI and engine cover installed.
Here is a pic of the bracket after I painted it

The boss on the water pump directly below the throttle body may have to be ground down a bit as the clearance is pretty tight.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

That looks great. ALOT better than the Kwik mounts IMO
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just my .02 cents, everything looks great except that lower radiator hose.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizeec
Just my .02 cents, everything looks great except that lower radiator hose.
I agree, but remember the CAI hides it, plus I looked for quite a bit and couldn't find a hose that fit very well. The radiator I have is extra wide and makes it even more challenging to find one that fits....
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

I understand I am just a little **** on those types of things as "I" know it's there on my car. Sometimes I am too much of a perfectionist on my stuff. I bent a coat hanger to the shape of hose I needed and took note of the radiator and thermostat sizes and went to the local autozone and they let me look through their vast selection of hoses and I found about 3-4 I thought would work or I could make work with minor trimming, and I got lucky with one and just returned the ones that I didn't need and put the part tag for the right one in my glove box for future reference.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand I am just a little **** on those types of things as "I" know it's there on my car. Sometimes I am too much of a perfectionist on my stuff. I bent a coat hanger to the shape of hose I needed and took note of the radiator and thermostat sizes and went to the local autozone and they let me look through their vast selection of hoses and I found about 3-4 I thought would work or I could make work with minor trimming, and I got lucky with one and just returned the ones that I didn't need and put the part tag for the right one in my glove box for future reference.
I hear ya about being **** about things like this also.....I did the same thing with the coat hanger and spent more time than I would like to admit searching the parts inventory at Auto Zone, Napa, etc, etc.. If you got a part number that may work I am all for trying it...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

I did copy your CAI for my car, thanks for posting all the Spectre numbers.
However my car is a 66 GTO with a LS2 & T56 and my radiator is a Afco LS Swap radiator with both the inlet and outlet on the passenger side. If you think the lower hose may work I can get the part number for the hose I used in the morning. I did this swap about 2 years ago so I can't remember the thermostat and radiator size openings, but I have a spare water pump and I can measure the thermostat opening on that one.
Let me know if you think this info will help and I can get it for you.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did copy your CAI for my car, thanks for posting all the Spectre numbers.
However my car is a 66 GTO with a LS2 & T56 and my radiator is a Afco LS Swap radiator with both he I key and outlet on the passenger side. If you think the lower hose may work I can get the part number for the hose I used in the morning. I did this swap about 2 years ago so I can't remember the thermostat and radiator size openings, but I have a spare water pump and I can measure the thermostat opening on that one.
Let me know if you think this info will help and I can get it for you.
If it's not too much trouble, by all means post the p/n and I'll see if it will work.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ok it was bugging me so I went outside and got the part number it is a Gates # 23185 and here are the specs on my tag. Good Luck and hope it helps.

• Centerline Length (in): 16.8
• Centerline Length (mm): 427
• Number of Branches: 0
• Inside Dia. 1 (in): 1.38
• Inside Dia. 1 (mm): 35
• Inside Dia. 2 (in): 1.54
• Inside Dia. 2 (mm): 39
• Lower
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice thread.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Abdullah
nice thread.
Thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocket - What gear ratio are you running? I've got basically the same setup in my 67 with a 3.31 posi and it is severely traction limited. I've had what I considered to be "fast" street cars in the past, but the power from my basically stock crate LS2 has really been quite the surprise (albeit a pleasant one).

As you described your driving experience, my car is a handful (fun but scary at the same time). No need for any more HP unless I invest in upgrades designed to put the power to the ground!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue67LS2
Rocket - What gear ratio are you running? I've got basically the same setup in my 67 with a 3.31 posi and it is severely traction limited. I've had what I considered to be "fast" street cars in the past, but the power from my basically stock crate LS2 has really been quite the surprise (albeit a pleasant one).

As you described your driving experience, my car is a handful (fun but scary at the same time). No need for any more HP unless I invest in upgrades designed to put the power to the ground!
I am running a 3.73 posi, with a motor & trans that are not even properly tuned traction is a problem. Granted my car is setup to handle well and not drag race, but I don't see the need for additional horsepower for a while. These LS motors are just amazing!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been posting much lately, but a lot has been going on with the car. For starters I bought HP Tuners Pro and a PLX Wideband/Air Fuel Gauge Previously I had a friend look at the tune put on my car by SSP Wiring and it is just horrid. We spent a few hours yesterday adjusting the tables (timing and fuel). There is still quite a bit that needs to be finalized on the tune, but the car just screams now!

I also pulled the trigger on an early Christmas present. I bought a Ridetech Level 2 Coilover front and rear suspension with the Front Musclebar. I also opted for the Tru Turn package, which will allow me to run up to 275s on the front.

Rod! You're killin' me Bro! Get this stuff installed so I can "convince" myself to do it too for the rear!

I just got back from an extended "trip"... took my baby out today for a run! How's your baby running??

TC
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tango68ss
Rod! You're killin' me Bro! Get this stuff installed so I can "convince" myself to do it too for the rear!

I just got back from an extended "trip"... took my baby out today for a run! How's your baby running??

TC
LOL!!! From everything I have read on pro-touring and later-g the Ridetech suspension is awesome! I plan on doing the front suspension before the end of the year and possibly start the rear. We have had unseasonably warm weather so I would rather drive the car than have it torn apart.

The car is running well after we tuned up the motor. The tune flashed by SSP Wiring was just horrid!! Still need to fine tune it and get it shifting properly, but it is a lot of fun to drive!!

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install