Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Been busy taking care of miscellaneous item, but I should have the seats installed later today, then install the front bumper and I can take the car out for a spin!!!!

Here is an update on a few other issues.
Originally Posted by Rocketrod
  1. Tachometer reading fluttering below 1,000 rpms. - I add a pull up resistor to boost the tach signal, but when engine rpm goes under a 1,000, the tach need is not steady (flutters). For the pulll up resistor circuit I used ignition power to a 4.7K ohm resistor tied into the tach signal. Anyone have any suggestions.
Just an update. I called Auto Meter and they said the rpm fluttering at idle is normal and can't be corrected without side effects. I could send it in and have them rework the tack to dampen the signal at low rpms, but then the tach reading is real slow to respond.

They also recommended I tie a +5v with a 10K ohm resistor in series to my tach signal. I am currently using a +12v (ign power) with a 4.7K ohm resistor, and while it works they preferred I tie a +12v line into a +5v circuit. I just need to find a place to tap into +5v on the harness.

1. Lower radiator hose started leak - After 10-15 minutes of idling the lower radiator hose started dripping at both hose ends. When looking at the hose it looked like it was bulging since the thermostat hadn't open. This is the first time I have had any leaks.
The annoying leak has stopped for now, but I am sure it will be back. For now I am going to keep an eye on it and drive it.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took to car out for a test spin today. I had issues with the brakes not releasing, a small drip at the master cylinder and of course the leaking lower radiator hose.

I snugged the brake line fittings to stop the master cylinder leak, then adjusted the master cylinder pushrod so the brakes release properly. No luck with the leaking lower radiator hose and now I have no brake lines. The brake switch has voltage and is working as it should. I just ran out of time, but I will get it working soon.

I also took a short video and some pics, which I'll post later.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last Friday I finally drove the Camaro around the neighborhood! I haven't taking it out for a road trip yet as I am having issues with the brake lights and the lower radiator hose is still leaking a little bit.

Here is a short video and some pics below

Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. You did one heck off a job with your Camaro.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rod,

She sounds great and looks AWESOME! Have fun amigo!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Congrats man, car looks amazing.
Where did you get that plastic glove box?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Very nice. You did one heck off a job with your Camaro.
Thanks! I am extremely pleased with the way t turned out.

Originally Posted by tango68ss
Rod,

She sounds great and looks AWESOME! Have fun amigo!
Thanks and I will.

Originally Posted by sako
Congrats man, car looks amazing.
Where did you get that plastic glove box?
Thanks. The plastic glove box comes with the Vintage Air Gen IV evaporator kit. It is quite a bit smaller than the stock glove box, measuring 2"-3" deep (it's not flat across the back) compared to the stock glove box that measures 5.5".
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the car out for a short trip to the gas station and continued to worked out some of the issues I am having. The gas gauge appears to be working properly. I plan on taking her out for an extended trip and calibrating the speedometer later today.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! The car looks great, you really nailed it with this swap! I am a HUGE fan of the clean look of the installation, wires are nicely tucked away and engine compartment looks very clean. Best of luck working all the little bugs out.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MisterD
Congratulations! The car looks great, you really nailed it with this swap! I am a HUGE fan of the clean look of the installation, wires are nicely tucked away and engine compartment looks very clean. Best of luck working all the little bugs out.
Thanks! This swap turned out pretty much as I envisioned, but it took a little longer and cost a little more than I planned, but hey you only live once.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! This swap turned out pretty much as I envisioned, but it took a little longer and cost a little more than I planned, but hey you only live once.
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER ROD!!! Drive it like you stole it!!....

BTW, I was "driving" to work the other day (great Florida morning! Top down!) when this guy in an Audi TT pulls up next to me at the light... I look at him, he at me, and smile... light turns green and we both gradually accelerate... 55MPH side-by-side...then he takes off! He gets about four cars ahead and I think, "NO F&@# way this guy is going to do that to my baby!"... I hit it and within a few seconds am right on his bumper! I stick to him like glue and finally go past him on the left... Before I know it we are doing 125MPH... That's when I look back in my mirror at him and see that my 'vert boot is standing straight up like a speed brake!(Thank God the few rear clips held)...That's when I backed off... We stop at the next light (about a two mile run) and he rolls down the window... he asks, "What the Hell is in that old car?? It certainly isn't original?"...

Yeah, LS-power!! Had the boot not almost come off, she was still pulling to a faster speed!! I'm glad I updated the suspension and brakes!! Enjoy amigo!

TC
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tango68ss
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER ROD!!! Drive it like you stole it!!....

BTW, I was "driving" to work the other day (great Florida morning! Top down!) when this guy in an Audi TT pulls up next to me at the light... I look at him, he at me, and smile... light turns green and we both gradually accelerate... 55MPH side-by-side...then he takes off! He gets about four cars ahead and I think, "NO F&@# way this guy is going to do that to my baby!"... I hit it and within a few seconds am right on his bumper! I stick to him like glue and finally go past him on the left... Before I know it we are doing 125MPH... That's when I look back in my mirror at him and see that my 'vert boot is standing straight up like a speed brake!(Thank God the few rear clips held)...That's when I backed off... We stop at the next light (about a two mile run) and he rolls down the window... he asks, "What the Hell is in that old car?? It certainly isn't original?"...

Yeah, LS-power!! Had the boot not almost come off, she was still pulling to a faster speed!! I'm glad I updated the suspension and brakes!! Enjoy amigo!

TC
Great story! I hope I can share similar stories in the near future. I still have a few issues to work out and last night the car is having trouble starting and it runs kind of rough. I will look at it tonight. Hopefully it is just a connector came loose or at worst damaged wiring.

I also took the car out and got an estimate to have the passenger side fender repainted and have the entire buffed to get all the small scratches out of the clear coat.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have put about 80 miles on the LS2 in the last week.

Initially the motor would fire as soon as I turned the key and the engine idled perfectly. On Wednesday, I drove the Camaro to work, but when I left the motor turn over several times before it fired and the idle was rough. I gave it a little gas and the idle was fine, but as I was running errands at each stop the motor would have to turn over a little more before it would start and the idle was very rough at times.

I checked for codes I am getting the following:
  • P0171 - System too lean bank 1
  • P0174 - System too lean bank 2
  • P1133 - Manufacturer control air metering
  • P1153 - Manufacturer control air metering

The lean codes are pretty regular, but the air metering are new. Given the motor sat for a bit I did the following:
  • Removed the MAF, which was clean, but I cleaned it with MAF cleaner anyways
  • Removed the MAP sensor, which is new, and cleaned it
  • Put a little Seafoam in the gas tank
  • Injected a little Seafoam in the TB with the engine running
  • I checked harness for any crushed, burnt or broken wires and everything looks good.
  • I inspected all the connectors on the engine: coil packs, TB, cam position sensor, O2s, knock sensors, crank position sensor and everything was fine

To no avail the symptoms still exist. Looking for ideas hear as I am new to the LS engines. I wish I could look at the tune to see what exactly the tuners did, but of course they won't return any of my calls/emails.

Here is a video of the motor at start up, of course it started relatively easy, but the idle is very rough for a stock motor.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a couple of thoughts to try:

First try running with the MAF unllugged, as this will force you into running with the air flow tables in the PCM verses the values from the MAF.

Another thing to think about is the lean codes could be that you're getting air pulled in ahead of your O2 sensors causing the lean code however your PCM would be adding more fuel making the motor run rough due to too much fuel. Any air leak after the MAF would cause unmetered air to enter the motor
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by muncie21
Here's a couple of thoughts to try:

First try running with the MAF unllugged, as this will force you into running with the air flow tables in the PCM verses the values from the MAF.

Another thing to think about is the lean codes could be that you're getting air pulled in ahead of your O2 sensors causing the lean code however your PCM would be adding more fuel making the motor run rough due to too much fuel. Any air leak after the MAF would cause unmetered air to enter the motor
Thanks for the suggestions and explanations. I tried unplugging the MAF, but there was no change.

I drove the car last night about 20 miles and it ran flawlessly......then I took the car out for a drive this morning through some backroads and the car just shutoff, like someone turned the ignition off, while I was doing about 50mph through some switchbacks.

I pulled the car off to the side of the road and tried to start it. When it would start the idle was so rough, it would die within 5-10 seconds. After about 10 minutes I fired it up one last time and was able to drive it home. Time to start digging a little deeper with the troubleshooting.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dropped the car off at a local interior shop to have the headliner installed and get some rough estimates on having the rear seats recovered. It should be done tomorrow then hopefully I can get the engine issues resolved.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Rod,

This might sound sacrilege but... take it to a reputable Chevy dealer; ask for their best Corvette mechanic; explain to him what is going on and they can stick it on their TechMeter (super OBDII reader).. I had a similar issue... couldn't figure out what the deal was, she felt like she was running on 7 cylinders... I swapped coil packs, changed spark plugs, wires, etc... finally took it to the dealer and they found out that one of the injectors was starting to fail (ran fine at idle but leaned out/ misfired and failed under load)... they replaced the injector and did the diagnostics all for $150. Best peace-of-mind to date!! She runs great now!!

Added bonus? They cut me a break when I opened the hood and they saw the LS2! Additionally the owner offered a 2011 Grand Sport w/ TVS2300 as a straight up trade! Car guys are car guys!!

Good Luck!
TC
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A friend stop by last night and we found the problem. My fuel pressure only reads 20psi at the fuel rail with the engine running! Looks like a bad fuel pump. So I will be dropping the tank this weekend to inspect/replace the in tank fuel module.

He also hooked up HP Tuners and looked at my tune. It was very interesting to say the least and the tune that was loaded by SSP Wiring was ultra conservative to say the least. The tune is so conservative he said we probably have about 50hp, or more, to gain by adjusting the tune!! So a tune will be done once the car is back on the road.

For this and total lack of customer service, or technical support after the delivery of my harness I would not recommend SSP Wiring to anyone.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I found the problem. The pressure regulator on the fuel module was not installed properly when it was manufactured.

If you look at the pics the gold piece with the port sticking out the side is not seated squarely in the fuel module. I removed it, inspected the o-rings for damage and then re-installed it. I had to re-shape the clip holding the regulator in place, but we should be good to go now.

While I had the tank out I noticed my tailpipes are contacting the rearend and leaf springs. I plan on getting a new exhaust system this winter anyways so I removed the tailpipes.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Glad you got it figured out! Hopefully you can get it back together and burn some rubber yet this year before the snow flies!

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install