Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small radiator? 404ci overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BelAir1000
...Basically the water pump doesn't put out enough pressure and flow at idle to overcome the extra restriction of the dual pass rad. ...
Really? I have a cheap Chinese "Jeg's" 20" x 18" core dual pass in my Maverick and it never had this issue at all. She'll run 170° all day in 100° ambient temp with the A/C on. Have you tried a new pump?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling one of the steam vent plugs until water comes out will get all the air out. I find pulling the upper hose is too messy. Normally it helps to jack up the front end, but with your radiator so high it shouldn't be an issue.
While changing location of the tube i did get some air out of the system from here.

Originally Posted by BelAir1000
Do you have a steam vent back to the radiator? Its advised. But if you insist on not having one, at least vent the port while filling the engine or vent it while hot to vent any steam(be careful if you do it this way).
I did change it over to to the top of the radiator next to where the up hose connects to.

the bypass between heater hose connections MUST flow properly or the thermostat WONT OPEN.
if you look at the coolant flow path, you'll see what I mean, the only hot coolant flowing past the thermostat comes from that heater hose return, so if it is kinked, I bet that is your problem.
I found it almost impossible to get all the air out upon filling the system on my engine, I ended up drilling a couple 1/8" hole in the perimeter of the thermostat, which made it easy to fill the engine/cooling system without air lock
I did not know that all the hot water must flow through the heater hose return.I believe you are correct with it causing the t-stat to not open. Im going to order one of these and hot it does the trick.

Dayco # 87629 or Kelly-Springfield #S-4354.

I also plan on drilling the t-stat while i have to drain everything again anyways.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 3pedals
the bypass between heater hose connections MUST flow properly or the thermostat WONT OPEN.
if you look at the coolant flow path, you'll see what I mean, the only hot coolant flowing past the thermostat comes from that heater hose return, so if it is kinked, I bet that is your problem.
I found it almost impossible to get all the air out upon filling the system on my engine, I ended up drilling a couple 1/8" hole in the perimeter of the thermostat, which made it easy to fill the engine/cooling system without air lock
I'm not even sure of this... I have a Vintage Air Gen III system on my car which has a positive shut-off heater valve. That valve obviously remains closed all summer long and I never have any problems with overheating. Some guys have theirs plugged completely and don't have problems. Personally, I think it's all about bleeding the air. My car's radiator fill point is the high point (just like all the "old" cars) and I've never had air pockets or hot-spots...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was always curious what ppl did to use the pump with systems that didn't have a flow through. While ordering the hose i decided to get the 160* t stat.

On a side note, S10xGN how do you like the M&H's
Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bypass in front of the shut off valve so the water can get around it.

Tim
Old 09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I have a bypass in front of the shut off valve so the water can get around it.

Tim
I've read elsewhere that someone did the same thing. I'll keep that in mind when i eventually get around to putting a heater.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
...On a side note, S10xGN how do you like the M&H's
So far, just street driving, no different than Nittos for that. Since we've only had about 10" rain since spring, they've never seen wet pavement...
Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I'm not even sure of this... I have a Vintage Air Gen III system on my car which has a positive shut-off heater valve. That valve obviously remains closed all summer long and I never have any problems with overheating. Some guys have theirs plugged completely and don't have problems. Personally, I think it's all about bleeding the air. My car's radiator fill point is the high point (just like all the "old" cars) and I've never had air pockets or hot-spots...
You know this got me thinking. I hooked up the heaters hoses on my conversion but just last month got around to hooking up the control valve to the dash. I run a 160° thermostat. an adjustable fan controller with a radiator fin probe and have my Datusn temp sensor in the block. Car generally runs 170° on the gauge in any kind of weather. But lately I have noticed it would occasionally creep up to 190° range, expecially when getting off the highway and stopping at a light.

Not hot by any means and nothing really to worry about since it never goes any higher. But yesterday it went up and I got thinking about this thread so I opened the heater temp valve. Damned if the temp didn't drop straight down to about 165° and stayed there.

So with the heater now circulating the car stays a few degrees cooler and doesn't exhibit the temp swings I have seen for the last 3 years with the heater turned off.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S10xGN
So far, just street driving, no different than Nittos for that. Since we've only had about 10" rain since spring, they've never seen wet pavement...
I heard they were quite a bit stickyer. I have a used set im going to try out once my car is road worthy, and broken in.

Pop N Wood: its funny how time goes by and things come together in one point of enlightenement.[not meant to sound like a fortune cookie!]

Tomorrow im going to give it another try. Today i installed a 160* tstat. Didn't drill any holes, it has a little one with a barbell like thing in it, as did my other which i removed. And i also installed the U bend hose. Its alot neater and cleaner than what i had before.

As i filled it this time i made sure to remove the head vent tube and watch coolant flow from it while filling from the upper hose. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Small radiator? 404ci overheating.