Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mating a SBC/BBC Trans (T10, Muncie, Richmond, TKO) with an LS motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

In order to use the SBC clutch, you'll need the Sachs flywheel, probably want to index and balance the assembly. In addition, I think it needs to be the 11" clutch for the 168 tooth flywheel.
Just go with Andrews suggestion and the long throwout bearing.

Originally Posted by nvm
Ok, this is the 3rd time in a couple of days here that I've tried to respond to this. The first times I had pictures of my crank flange, this time I'll post without and see if it goes through. The picture was just to confirm that I have the flush flange.

Basically I wanted to thank both of you guys, cula8r and Gary for responding. I really appreciate your help.

Also, I already have a friction disc and pressure plate that came off of a SBC that only have a few hundred miles on them.
Is it NOT an option to bolt them to a regular LS flywheel?
Neither of you recommended that option, which seems like it would be the cheapest/easiest in my situation. I'm curious of you rationale why I would not go that route?
Old 03-10-2022, 04:54 PM
nvm
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
In order to use the SBC clutch, you'll need the Sachs flywheel, probably want to index and balance the assembly. In addition, I think it needs to be the 11" clutch for the 168 tooth flywheel.
Just go with Andrews suggestion and the long throwout bearing.
Excellent guys. This is the rationale I needed. I would not have thought the LS6 and LS7 were different, and if I have to replace part of it in the future I can come back to this and know why I shouldn't pick up my SBC parts that will inevitably still be sitting in a dusty corner and not try to put them on.
FWIW, I'm still trying to go manual. I have the zbar, bought the relocating bracket, and have a set of long-tube headers that look like will clear without a problem. But don't want to confuse this great resource/thread by posting that until I can confirm. It'll be a while, just had shoulder surgery, trying to get the rest of parts around so I can be ready to start thrashing out some progress when I'm mobile in a few weeks.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I can tell you 02 vette Z06 exhaust manifolds will clear the z bar and flow as well as most aftermarket headers. Also keep in mind you have 3 stock locations (bellhousing, A body, corvette brackets) on the engine to mount the Z bar and can easily relocate the frame mount depending on engine location.

Originally Posted by nvm
Excellent guys. This is the rationale I needed. I would not have thought the LS6 and LS7 were different, and if I have to replace part of it in the future I can come back to this and know why I shouldn't pick up my SBC parts that will inevitably still be sitting in a dusty corner and not try to put them on.
FWIW, I'm still trying to go manual. I have the zbar, bought the relocating bracket, and have a set of long-tube headers that look like will clear without a problem. But don't want to confuse this great resource/thread by posting that until I can confirm. It'll be a while, just had shoulder surgery, trying to get the rest of parts around so I can be ready to start thrashing out some progress when I'm mobile in a few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
nvm (03-10-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
I'm currently running this with my TKO600 very satisfied.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tilto...YaAskGEALw_wcB
Originally Posted by HarrisonTX
Hydraulic Throwout bearing options for TKO?

Here's my parts list. I have everything except my mystery throw out bearing
LS7 clutch and flywheel
Ancient Lakewood Blowproof (sbc style)
GM TKO 500
LS1 Master cylinder
G-body chassis
Hydraulicthrowout bearing??

I'm in the process of removing 406/TKO combo (mech clutch linkage). I'd like to re-use my TKO rather than a t56.
I didnt realize a hydraulic TO bearing would be a challenge on a TKO. Is there anyone aware of a kit that allows the use a modern style hyd TO bearing on a older style transmission?
I don't want to run a slave cylinder because G bodies dont really allow for that for both clearance and bell housing issues
If anyone sees an issue with the parts list above, please let me know. Thanks

***looks like i found it*** posting for others benefit.
If anyone sees conflicting parts in my list please let me know
https://ramclutches.com/product/78131/

**UPDATE**

RAM hydraulic TO DOES NOT CLEAR LS7 CLUTCH
It is clearly NOW stated on RAMs website
https://ramclutches.com/product/78131/

Looks like I should have gone with LSFOX suggestion and ran a tilton. Now I have $600 tied up in release bearings, and I get to pull the trans back out of the car.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Default clarification

I am new to the site, tons of info! Looking for 1 specific piece of info. To use a t10 with the 5.3 , using a sachs 1050, an ls7 pilot, would an an 06 corvette pressure plate and disc bolt to the 1050 and work with the clutch fork throw out bearing
Old 10-20-2022, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Is the T10 26 or 10 spline input shaft?
[
QUOTE=heysej;20463344]I am new to the site, tons of info! Looking for 1 specific piece of info. To use a t10 with the 5.3 , using a sachs 1050, an ls7 pilot, would an an 06 corvette pressure plate and disc bolt to the 1050 and work with the clutch fork throw out bearing[/QUOTE]
Old 10-20-2022, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
Is the T10 26 or 10 spline input
QUOTE=heysej;20463344]I am new to the site, tons of info! Looking for 1 specific piece of info. To use a t10 with the 5.3 , using a sachs 1050, an ls7 pilot, would an an 06 corvette pressure plate and disc bolt to the 1050 and work with the clutch fork throw out bearing
[/QUOTE]
It is a 26 spline input
Old 10-23-2022, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Tough to say, the ls1 is slightly larger and not sure on the bolt pattern. Why not just get a matching LS1 flywheel/clutch?

It is a 26 spline input[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Mating a SBC/BBC Trans (T10, Muncie, Richmond, TKO) with an LS motor