Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mating a SBC/BBC Trans (T10, Muncie, Richmond, TKO) with an LS motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The Muncie is a better shifting transmission than the T10. In fact, I think a Muncie shifts way better than a T56. This is due to the relatively lower gear mass and large synchro area...blah...blah..blah...

For a Muncie, you have two options, either the M20 wide ratio or the M21 close ratio. The M22 is relatively rare. It has the close ratio gears of the M21 but the gears have less angle, thus making it a noisier but stronger transmission.

The M20 has a 2.52 first gear while the M21/22 have a 2.20 first gear.

With a light car, plenty of power, and the fact that it is mostly a track car, I would go with the close ratio trans.

Andrew
Thanks for your input man, it will be a pretty light car, aiming for 2500lbs. final weight. It is just hard for me to judge as I haven't driven it yet with the setup (cars still under construction).

Can you guys give me a good idea of what kind of HP the muncie transmissions can handle? I'm obviously not throwing 600hp at it, more just curious. I'm a younger guy when it come to the generation of the muncie and it's capabilities. What would you say the transmissions weighs? just trying to get a rough comparison to my current setup.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironfreak
Thanks for your input man, it will be a pretty light car, aiming for 2500lbs. final weight. It is just hard for me to judge as I haven't driven it yet with the setup (cars still under construction).

Can you guys give me a good idea of what kind of HP the muncie transmissions can handle? I'm obviously not throwing 600hp at it, more just curious. I'm a younger guy when it come to the generation of the muncie and it's capabilities. What would you say the transmissions weighs? just trying to get a rough comparison to my current setup.
I feel old all of a sudden...LOL

The Muncie transmission came stock on some of the most iconic Muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70s. These cars were heavy and made a lot of torque.

I don't want to throw out HP numbers, but personally, I think a M21 Muncie will live a very long life in a 2500 lb car with any sort of reasonable HP. You will never be able to strain the driveline because you'll spin the tires first. The Muncie transmission had an aluminum case and weighed about 75 pounds. When I was 17 I swapped the clutch on my GTO, on my back, with the front of the car on some ramps. I recall being able to lift the trans by myself. That's something that would be very hard to do with a T56.

Andrew
Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The Muncie is about 75lbs, compared to the 125lb T56.
A stock wide ratio Muncie will survive behind a BBC, the close ratio will even take more, especially with the rock crusher gears.
A few notes. The early Muncies had a 7/8" countershaft. These wallowed out the hole they're mounted in at the front of the case. Later ones had 1" countershafts and were much better. You also get the stronger 26 spline input shaft with later ones.
If it's a track car, consider buying a used one. Lots available cheap with broken ears, etc. that you'll just use the internals. Check out Autogear, they sell a supercase that's quite a bit stronger than the original and an iron midplate. Not sure if the rear housing they sell is worth an upgrade.
Also when you rebuild, go for the torque lock sliders.
I've only driven a divorced corvette shifter and tailstock mounted Hurst. The hurst was much nicer
Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

I feel old all of a sudden...LOL

The Muncie transmission came stock on some of the most iconic Muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70s. These cars were heavy and made a lot of torque.

I don't want to throw out HP numbers, but personally, I think a M21 Muncie will live a very long life in a 2500 lb car with any sort of reasonable HP. You will never be able to strain the driveline because you'll spin the tires first. The Muncie transmission had an aluminum case and weighed about 75 pounds. When I was 17 I swapped the clutch on my GTO, on my back, with the front of the car on some ramps. I recall being able to lift the trans by myself. That's something that would be very hard to do with a T56.

Andrew
That's amazing, my 4l60e with the torque converter probably weights about 150lbs. so I'd have some weight savings as well. The clutch that Garys68 uses, will that have plenty of holding power or do you recommend something stronger for a car that will get beat on pretty hard.

Did not mean to make you feel old haha, I just grew up where the muscle cars I could afford once I started driving were gen3 camaros ect.

Could I use a hydraulic slave with something like this or would it have to be a hydro TOB? I obviously don't have to mechanical linkages like the z bars to make this work.

Just trying to wrap my head around exactly what it is I need.

Last edited by Ironfreak; 11-13-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

The sachs flywheel is drilled for a clutch that accepts a 10 or 26 spline input shaft. It is really heavy, great for a truck or drag racing. If you go with a later Muncie/T10 with 26 spline shaft, you can use an LS1, 2, 3, even 500hp LS7 flywheel/clutch. Plenty of holding power there.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
I don't think it's that simple. The consensus seems to be, not worth the effort, just get a LS T56. But I've never done it myself.
Try searching/posting over in the manual trans section here. I know it's been discussed before.
i already have the LT1 t56 from when it was an LT1

I think the issue is that the LT1 pressure plate has a different bolt pattern than the 4.8L flywheel. The LT1 clutch was a bit of an odd design and used a pull style TOB.

Since LS T56s are readily available, I see no reason to cobble together parts to make a LT1 T56 work behind a LS engine.

Andrew
so it is a different bolt pattern? i know it was odd and pulled but i didnt think they would bother to change the bolt pattern. only one way to find out i guess.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Teching In

The general consensus to use a LT1 T56 behind a LS engine is to change input shaft and front plate. From memory, the LS bellhousing will mate to the LT1 front plate, but the input shaft is too short . . . Not sure by how much. The LS input shaft is about 1" longer.

If I had access to the LS bellhousing, I would test it out.

EDIT:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...eculation.html

Last edited by StrikeZero; 11-13-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad I found this...was fixing to buy a ford T5 and 621 bellhousing. Guess I need to look for a GM T5
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 PM

Gary68 and others...was wondering your thoughts on the following:

Luk 04-173 (clutch kit)

MT12638Z (bellhousing from The Parts Place)

RAM 78125 (hydraulic release bearing)

Trying to piece together a reasonably strong and inexpensive solution.

Thanks in advance, Chris.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been running a Super T10 behind my LS motor for a couple of years. I have two, one will be for sale in a couple of weeks with a fresh rebuild from the racing shop I use. I road race the car and I'm going to a Nascar Dogbox trans. I use a small block bellhousing, a standad LS clutch and flywheel as well as the starter. Nothing Trick. ST10 is a little stronger case than the Muncie. The SMC bellhousing bolts right onto the LS block with the exception of one hole.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

What's it going in?
I got my 621 repro bellhousing off ebay for $160, but then again, it needed 0.020 offset dowel pins.

Originally Posted by sdchris
Gary68 and others...was wondering your thoughts on the following:

Luk 04-173 (clutch kit)

MT12638Z (bellhousing from The Parts Place)

RAM 78125 (hydraulic release bearing)

Trying to piece together a reasonably strong and inexpensive solution.

Thanks in advance, Chris.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

nice inform..Subscribed
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 AM
Teching In

I've read through all of this before posting as well as many other threads and Google searches, just so you know.
I just want to know if it's remotely possible to drop a 4.8 into my 94 v6 Camaro with that t5 just to get it running and temporarily drivable?
Thanks.

Last edited by jackandcoffee; 11-05-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I could get into a long explanation, and even suggest a way to do it.
But the short answer is NO. It would be more expensive than buying a new trans.

Originally Posted by jackandcoffee
I've read through all of this before posting as well as many other threads and Google searches, just so you know.
I just want to know if it's remotely possible to drop a 4.8 into my 94 v6 Camaro with that t5 just to get it running and temporarily drivable?
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
I could get into a long explanation, and even suggest a way to do it.
But the short answer is NO. It would be more expensive than buying a new trans.
Thank you, sir.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:41 AM
Teching In

ok guys i know im beating a dead horse here but i need some help..im doing my lq4 swap its going it my 91 camaro i have the factory wc t5 my 6.0 is a 99 model with the longer crank, what do i need to work around that any input?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, you probably realize there are no stock flywheel that will line up the ring gear with the starter because of the longer crank.
How much work/time/money do you want to put into trying to get that motor to work?

Originally Posted by codyscamaroz28
ok guys i know im beating a dead horse here but i need some help..im doing my lq4 swap its going it my 91 camaro i have the factory wc t5 my 6.0 is a 99 model with the longer crank, what do i need to work around that any input?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Teching In

well the more research i do the more i lean towards going with another tranny. itwill just set me back tht much further, but can i even use a t56? didnt realize the first few years had longer cranks til after i had bought it. I seen this 6.0 on craigslist an jumped on it ive only seen 5.3s around here not many 6.0s at all

Last edited by codyscamaroz28; 04-14-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now you're beating a dead horse because you posted the same thing within hours
Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Same answer as earlier....no manual flywheel works on a long crank 6.0.

Quick Reply: Mating a SBC/BBC Trans (T10, Muncie, Richmond, TKO) with an LS motor