Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Second Gen Camaro Berlinetta BUDGET build (Updated FiTech injection/Boost!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
I can't believe I though I was going to be driving that car 9 months ago, but after being lazy all winter I am DAMN close after alot more parts, cash, and soldering lol....ill post some pictures later along with some of the details of issues that I have had, which have been more than anticipated! I wish I just had a huge checkbook like the other swaps I've seen and maybe I'd already be driving it...but all said and done I wanna see somebody else do a complete nut and bolt frame off restoration (minus exterior paint) for under $4,500!
Mine started small budget too, but things changed during its years-long build. It only got expensive after I lucked into a $800 LS1 longblock with only 2500 miles on the clock (then I haaad to get a T56, a good clutch, blah blah). But hey, you are DOING IT, and that's what matters. Have fun, and tack on extras as time/money permits. Doesn't look like its going to be very long before it's on the road.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of tanks for the compliments I appreciate it, gotta a ton of wrench time in on this car! Anyway here are some pictures...

Here is the 95% done engine bay..

Here is the interior which includes the new hurst shift boot, vintage hurst shift ****, summit knee knocker gauges and column mount tach (usually not a big fan of column mount tach but I thought it complimented the new aluminum dash) and the only radio I need is that v8 burble lol

Then here is a picture of the exhaust system, since I'm running a mechanical clutch linkage I went with budget f-body manifolds, then I ordered so some laser cut flanges off eBay (super quality by the way) and made some custom down pipes on the pipe bender that feed into a Pypes stainless x-pipe and those go to flowmaster 40 series mufflers (hard to see) then I'm going to dump before the rear axles either downward or maybe the sides lol...

Ill post some more as I go, been working at least 5-6 hours a day, guy whose garage I'm in came out at 4 am the other night with a shotgun thinking it was an intruder, didn't think I'd still be there lol!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Ill post some more as I go, been working at least 5-6 hours a day, guy whose garage I'm in came out at 4 am the other night with a shotgun thinking it was an intruder, didn't think I'd still be there lol!
Oh, you've been bitten by the bug for sure
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Oh yea for sure! The closer it gets to being done the more energy and persistent I get, plus the warm weather doesn't hurt either, I'd probably be done if I'd of worked during the winter but I hate having to start fires and go through that BS...
Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great progress man! I am only a few days ahead of you in the process and I understand your drive to finish! You just want to see all the time and $$$$ driving down the road under its oen power! Last night I mounted my gauges, steering wheel and seat and sat in the car making engine sounds like I was6 all over again!

Car is looking great, did you undercoat it? It is all coming together very well. Keep hauling, but avoid getting shot, that would put a bit of a damper onthe project
Old 05-16-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

I used por15 everywhere possible including the underbody, rearend, subframe, etc. and from experience that **** is WORTH the $$$$$, 1 quart did all that! Good luck on your project and leave a link so I can check it out...

Here are some pictures of the exhaust system from the down pipes to the mufflers (flowmaster 40 series)...

Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Hoping to drive tommorrow haha!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Can't believe this graduation ceremony for my engineering degree is cutting into to my garage time...damn it!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a berlinetta years ago, that was in the same state as yours was when you found yours. It was going to be a father/son project, but my dad got sick and we ended up selling the car. Glad I came across your build, I love second gens and yours looks like its gonna be a fun ride.

Congrats on all the progress you've made!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on your graduation. Cant wait to hear the review of the first ride. You gonna run tailpipes out the back? You will love that x-pipe. I found the car revved quicker after installing mine when i had an exhaust like that. Really racy sound. Pretty sure i had the same mufflers too. Only thing i regretted was i dumped the exhaust under the car before the axle. I should have run it out the back. Hope your drives goes good.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

I am dumpin at rear axle but mak
Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

....but making some sideways pipes to dump out before rear tire, flowmaster recommends 12" of pipe after muffler, plus regular turndowns will bounce that sound like crazy! Ill post a video of me running the car on my "jack stand dyno" lol
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

It's beginning to look like a car again, bout time!

Engine bay minus inner fenders...

Fixed the tail panel today using that awesome 3M panel bonding glue PN#8115...it was easy breezy and no need to use my shitty welder...

Exhaust again (just so proud of it lol)

And my repainted radiator with GM proform electric low profile fan (paid an extra $15 for a frickin sticker, oh well you live you learn...)

Drivin soon, license plates are for pussies lol, just gotta throw rear bumper and trunk lid on and connect tailights...gonna be grabbing gears soon
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Looks good! Ultimate sleeper
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yes sir, don't be fooled by my joe dirt paint job and hole in the hood lol!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just came across this I have a 78 Z rotted to hell. Maybe this will inspire me to drag it out!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Do it! You will be happy you did! Anyone can buy a new camaro, but takes a whole different person to resurrect one from the dead!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Hopefully test drivin tommorrow...

Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Excellent work!

How did you resolve the clearance issue with the drivers side exhaust manifold and the mechanical clutch linkage (Z-bar)? Any photos of this area?

What are your plans for the lower radiator hose?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I'm going to trim a factory 2005 silverado lower rad hose, ill let you know how it goes...

As far as the mechanical clutch linkage we had to cut one of the ears off the z bar and reclock it out of the way and then be careful when making exhaust down pipes.....I have literally 1/4" clearance between z bar and exhaust pipe lol...the guy who modified the z bar did it before the exhaust was even made!!! Now that's old school experience for you! Guy is amazing when I'm in a pinch!

Quick Reply: 1981 Second Gen Camaro Berlinetta BUDGET build (Updated FiTech injection/Boost!)