Sponsored by:

Question about transmission cooling lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about transmission cooling lines

Hey everyone,

I had a question, I put a 5.3 engine and a 4L60e tranny in my 76 camaro along with a radiator for a 2000 camaro V8 with automatic tranny.

I purchased a new set of hard transmission cooler lines from a 2000 S10 4.3 automatic....I figure this would be closest to my application because the engine / core support locations are real similar between my car and a s10.

Both lines installed with no issues, plenty of "slack" on the lower line...but my upper line I had to bend up a bit...instead of being parallel to the lower line...it has to shoot up at a 45 degree angle as soon as it comes out of the frame hole.

I think this will be fine but I really wish it was a tad longer

What are you guys doing for transmission cooler lines? Are you using hard or rubber lines?

I thought about cutting the upper line and insert a 10" long piece of rubber hose in between it to lengthen it some...will this work or will the hose leak from pressure? I would put a flange on each end of the line I cut with my tube flanging tool so the hose clamp will bite and not slip off.

Here are some pics of what I am talking about, thanks in advance

Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have to splice the line, which would make the lines look neater I would get another similar line from the parts store they sell them in various lengths so you have the correct end and flare for the radiator side and connect it to the existing line with a compression fitting. It will look neater than a piece of rubber line and 2 hose clamps. If you do go the rubber line make sure it is oil resistant and it will be cheaper but also look cheaper and have a better chance of eventually blowing off or leaking.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

If I recall correctly, cooler line pressure is pretty low, like under 20psi low.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
If you have to splice the line, which would make the lines look neater I would get another similar line from the parts store they sell them in various lengths so you have the correct end and flare for the radiator side and connect it to the existing line with a compression fitting. It will look neater than a piece of rubber line and 2 hose clamps. If you do go the rubber line make sure it is oil resistant and it will be cheaper but also look cheaper and have a better chance of eventually blowing off or leaking.
This is what I would do too. Using rubber line is just asking for trouble when you least expect it and don't have a way to fix it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I'll look into the compression fitting...but had a question for someone:

I found this doing research...it's for an upper line (which I need) and would do what I need to do....why would this not work?

I could actually bend the line and attach this hose using the barb that is already on the line...and put a couple of hose clamps on it. This part would give me an extra 9" of length which is plenty.

The picture shows a threaded fitting on the end, but the description shows that is a push connect fitting...just like used on the camaro radiator I have.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...149_0_0_108636

Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you remove the quick connector from the rad you can use a double flare like the good old days
Old 12-29-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
Thanks guys, I'll look into the compression fitting...but had a question for someone:

I found this doing research...it's for an upper line (which I need) and would do what I need to do....why would this not work?

I could actually bend the line and attach this hose using the barb that is already on the line...and put a couple of hose clamps on it. This part would give me an extra 9" of length which is plenty.

The picture shows a threaded fitting on the end, but the description shows that is a push connect fitting...just like used on the camaro radiator I have.

As to your question Why would this not work It will work and so will a garden hose and hose clamps it is just your preference on how you want the end product to look as in a professional or back yard install, and for how long you want it to function properly and not leave you stranded some day in the future maybe in the next couple of days or maybe in a year or two. In other words to each his own.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so throwing in two brass compression fittings wouldn't look like a backyard install?

I'm trying get the lesser of two evils and both of the oem 2000 camaro lines have rubber lines crimped and attached with a hose clamp in-between them. Just don't have a pair of those on hand to check fittament...

I just don't see the rubber hose failing being an issue, don't they sell aftermarket transmission coolers that use rubber lines for connection...do those fail very often?

If it's just a matter of cosmetics, I think I would choose the premade rubber line I posted above over trying to splice a metal extension into the exisiting line. That picture I posted has a "crimped" metal line attached to a rubber line...so I would actually only have one connection point to my existing line.

Unless someone has a suggestion on a proven oem set of lines that works in a 1976 camaro with a 4L60e tranny, 5.3 engine, and a 2000 camaro v8 radiator?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I did my swap this past summer I installed a new radiator with internal cooler and added an external cooler as well. The external cooler came with rubber hose. At the time I was anxious to get the car up and running so I ran rubber lines rated to work with the trans fluid for everything. I have not had any problems as of yet. I did not use regular hose clamps. I got the EFI style hose clamps that don't cut into the hose at all, and I put 2 clamps at every location. Some day I will take the time and learn how to bend and flare my own hardlines. I would think for what you are wanting to do bending up your own is probably going to be your only option for a perfectly clean install.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

You can do them in AN6 braided lines for about $120 and have all the slack you want

FWIW, trans lines operate at a very low pressure so cutting and splicing with oil safe hose is perfectly acceptable
Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Launching!

i just had a weird setup so i went with all flexible lines.

my car is a a-body chevelle, running a lq4/4l80e and the previous owner had put in a 350/700r4 with a custom "chevelle coolings" radiator.

i used this in my 4L80E (http://www.sweetperformance.com/prod...E_fittings.jpg) picked it up for $20

two of these to connect hoses to the fittings above (http://cdn.nexternal.com/pdai/images/106902.jpg) $10 each shipped

then just AN hose which is $4.50/ft shipped

i used about 13 feet of hose... it doesnt look as if you would need as much as i did.

you can get by for less than $100

Last edited by SIKHS 5; 12-29-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy

since you have the hard lines going already - this should work fine. good luck with your build.

if you dont want the hose clamps showing, pick up a magna-clamp or something similar while your at it(they sell stainless steel braiding sleeves too).

Old 12-29-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And depending on which type of hose/line/tubing You decide on if You decide on rubber or something that won't look as neet/professional I would put the splice in farther back under the engine/exhaust so it would'nt be noticable and look cleaner but if You decide on coupling a small steel line in then You might want it visible ,,,,,,,,,all You're preferance .
Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

You weren't following me I said buy a piece of new hard line with the extra length you neeed 12"? and with the correct end for the radiator side and connect it to the radiator just as the original line and the other end will have just ONE compression union fitting connecting the new line to the existing line after you cut the flare off the line from the transmission. Your option of the rubber line is a good option as well as there also you will only have one connection from the rubber line to be hard line. Some o.e.m.'s use that set up of fittings crimped to rubber lines because ideally you need some flex in those lines due to engine and transmission vibrations and movement which will help eliminate cracks at the flared portion of the hard line.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Unless I am mistaken, I think that tranny line pressure typically runs around 200 PSI. I have used the flexible hoses to connect tranny coolers in the past by putting a "slight" flare on a hard tube and hose clamping the flex line to it without any leaks.

I plan to run all hard line on my current install, but getting a good enough flare that it doesn't leak can be a challenge for me sometimes, but I am getting better with practice.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Internal trans pressures are pretty extreme. The cooler lines have hardly any pressure. You can plug them with your thumb

Quick Reply: Question about transmission cooling lines