Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice help 5.3/4l60e 86 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice help 5.3/4l60e 86 cutlass

Hi guys, so im in the process of doing my 5.3 swap on my 86 cutlass, I'm currently just getting all my parts for install. I have the tranny and motor sitting at my friends shop right now. So I'm in need of a little guidance, I will try to explain what i want as best as I can so i can get some detailed advice. I am posting this from a mobile phone, so please excuse the format, spelling, ect. Will try my best, okay here we go.

Currently have stock 86 cutlass, I am on a tight budget and have most of the stuff needed for my swap. What I am looking for is a very fun street car, may go to track here and there for fun seeing how I never been to a track before, but I want it to be a fun street car, and not get left in the dust. It is my dd but I'm not expecting to get great mpg, currently the 307 gets bad mpg and I can deal with it and i figure a 5.3 would get better mpg then the tired out 307/th200 anyways. What is a good setup for a fun street car? I don't want to drop crazy money on 5.3 cause after a year or so I would like to do a turbo(see good results with stock 5.3 turbo) or drop in a nice h/c 6.0.

So sence motor is just on stand and out I am going to arp rod bolts, get new comp springs, harden pushrods. For security if turbo go on and for cam upgrades ect..sence I'm on a budget like many people are it dosent allow me to do all the mods at once. So i am going to upgrade my rearend I know is a must. Want to get posi with 3.42 or 373 gears not sure need to do more reserch. I want to cam the motor while I wait to turbo or drop the 6.0, thinking of tr224 114lsa, get lt header, stall 3000-3200. Not stuck on this idea but it seems good and street friendly for dd. Goal is to hit 350+ rwhp. What i am really confused is in what order shall i do these upgrades, headers will go on first but what order should i do cam or stall tc first? Any sugjestions on order of upgrades would be very helpful. So i guess main question is what to do tc or cam first. I read so many post on tr224 is streetable without stall and vise versa. So what would be better for my setup and needs? Thanks in advance!
-Raymond
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

No one can help out?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Since the engine is out, do the internal mods first. Then, the rest can be added on piecemeal..
A good rear would be an 8.5" out of a Monte SS or a Grand Nat Buick. The Buicks are all 3.42 ratio. [I ran 850FWHP thru 1 for several yrs..NP]
When you do the cam, port the oil pump and add the BRP oil pickup tube girdle.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Since the engine is out, do the internal mods first. Then, the rest can be added on piecemeal..
A good rear would be an 8.5" out of a Monte SS or a Grand Nat Buick. The Buicks are all 3.42 ratio. [I ran 850FWHP thru 1 for several yrs..NP]
When you do the cam, port the oil pump and add the BRP oil pickup tube girdle.
Thank you, I will do the internals on the engine right now as the ease of doing it, I don't have enough to do the cam/tc at same time so my friend said on his opinion he would cam it cause its out, but i have done a lot of reserch here and i see people say you can use the tr224 on stock tc and it still be okay on drivability,but i seen a handfull of very knowledgeable people state converter before cam is a must!!!!!!(notice exclamations LOL). Even stated that you would get better gains doing stall/stock cam over cam/stock stall. So that right there got me in the direction of doing stall first? Then adding the tr224 later on as funds allow. How is drivability with stock cam and 3200-3500 tc? And so far the setup I have in mind would it be fun street car? With ability of 350wrhp?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not add an LS6 cam you can get them new from summit for pretty cheap. Upgrade to LS6 springs as well. It makes decent power in the 5.3L for the money. Was like $280 new.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bo185
Why not add an LS6 cam you can get them new from summit for pretty cheap. Upgrade to LS6 springs as well. It makes decent power in the 5.3L for the money. Was like $280 new.
Are u sugjesting ls6 cam with no stall? I was originally thinking that but I read here and on performancetrucks that its a waste of time for the ls6 cam that you would see minimal gains mostly at higher rpms and loose some bottom?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rayfrausto
Are u sugjesting ls6 cam with no stall? I was originally thinking that but I read here and on performancetrucks that its a waste of time for the ls6 cam that you would see minimal gains mostly at higher rpms and loose some bottom?
Not really I wouldn't say that. Maybe your thinking of the LS6 intake. Its not worth it over a truck intake for the heavy *** trucks.

The cam is a nice budget upgrade and can be had for cheap used. LS6 springs are cheap as well. Yes you will probable lose some lowend but in a light car it will be fine. the stock 5.3L cam max out at like 5200 the LS6 will more it up above 6k.

LS6 cam GM p/n 12565308

Really I would run it, if you don't want to drop $400+ bucks on an aftermarket cam.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bo185
Not really I wouldn't say that. Maybe your thinking of the LS6 intake. Its not worth it over a truck intake for the heavy *** trucks.

The cam is a nice budget upgrade and can be had for cheap used. LS6 springs are cheap as well. Yes you will probable lose some lowend but in a light car it will be fine. the stock 5.3L cam max out at like 5200 the LS6 will more it up above 6k.

LS6 cam GM p/n 12565308

Really I would run it, if you don't want to drop $400+ bucks on an aftermarket cam.
Thanks for advice something else to think about, maybe if i see a good used one for sale ill grab it. I was orginally thinking of a ls6 cam cause I know its good numbers with boost. Maybe I can get a used ls6 cam and save up for future turbo? Dam decisions!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Default re

If this is your first LS Swap,I would leave the motor completely stock,get it running right,once your at that point,then you can do heads/cam etc.I've had stock bottom end 5.3's with just ARP rod bolts/.28 .32 ring gap with a turbo pushing 650+whp.Obviously had a cam with some ported heads but engine never skipped a beat.If you leave the engine stock,the stock 7.5 rear will be fine,once you start making more power and putting fatter tires thats where you run into issues.Either way good luck

Quick Reply: advice help 5.3/4l60e 86 cutlass