TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Not that I recall
Old 05-22-2014, 04:07 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sarg
Odd part is it used to work. Not sure why it is being difficult.
Same deal here. Mine started off fine and then I had all sorts of random fan craziness for a week and out of frustration I wired it as mentioned and its still working fine that way, almost ten years later
Old 05-22-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, thanks for the tip! Will definitely give it a shot, worse case it does not work.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Fans seem to be working now, sadly the headlights do not. No trailer at this time for this thing so that shuts down my chances for running it at the track tomorrow. Would have to drive there and back. Oh well.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Good to hear the fan trick worked. Headlights should be an easy fix, ground, switch, or relay unless your wiring is kaputskee
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 747 Likes on 548 Posts

No excuses!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

^
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, don't think I have not considered it! Not sure where the relay is on the headlights. My buddy who is a wiring guru was trying to trace everything and was coming up with dead ends. Just ran out of time.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Well the track was packed last night and I had an interesting little adventure. Apparently the single 8 gauge wire that I had going from the alternator back to the battery was wholly insufficient. I had it run that way so that when I pushed in my kill switch for the battery (had to have cause of track) it needed to kill the car. However, it apparently needs a bigger wire. When I had it going from the alternator straight to the big 0 gauge wire leading back to the battery it seemed to charge fine. When just running with the 8 gauge I got to the track and apparently had drained the battery. Relays would not power, fans would not come on and the thing was overheating bad. Swapped in a fresh battery from my truck and was able to crank again.

By the time the thing got cooled down, I went over passed tech and got in line there was a huge line. We pushed it all the way up to the starting line just about to make sure it did not overheat again (was not sure at the time what had happened). Got up and made one half throttle run just to make sure it was going to go reasonably straight as this was the first ever time this thing had gone through the gears over 100 mph and the battery was getting low again. I won't even mention a time as it is not worth talking about, haha. I threw in the towel for the night and we started home.

Made it about 25 of the 34 miles to the house and lights got super dim, everything started shutting off again and poof......car dies. Managed to use the truck to charge it just enough to limp into a parking lot where we would not be run over, had a buddy who thankfully was able to go grab that jumper wire from the house and meet up with us. With the battery charged via jumper cables for about 30 minutes and the jumper wire it fired perfect and made it home no problem.

I hate electrical gremlins. That and the overheating issue. At this point I am going to blame it on the battery and charging issues. I think a good number of my relays quit working when the battery got too low. But I am going to test that out some more today.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:31 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

lol race car problems. i still deal with bugs almost every single time i drive mine.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:33 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Theres always gremlins the first year, dont lose track. Remember if it were easy? Everyone would do it.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Nah just makes me more determined to get out there and do it again, haha. I am thinking of replacing one of my two fans with a big Spal unit. On one side of the radiator I have a good bit more room than the other. Think that might help with the cooling issues. But, I think these electrical gremlins may be contributing to the fans not getting all the power they could.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:00 PM
8 Second Club

That stinks! I used a light weight "mini" battery and threw it in the engine bay so I didn't have to mess with all that crapola!

Just a thought, but can't you run the single wire to the field plug on the alternator back to your kill switch? Or once the alternator is charging does pulling that wire not effect it?

Seems like it would be beneficial to run small gauge wires to the shut off switch and not worry about running some massive 0ga wire the length of the car and back? IE run your fuel pump relay wire and maybe the main coil power supply wire? I'd think that would shut the engine down pretty safely.

Just a thought good luck with it!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

I am sure there is some good way of doing it, but as it stands, the way I had it wired, when I hit the battery kill switch, if I have the jumper going from the alternator to the main power lug in the engine compartment, even with the battery disconnected from the system, the alternator would still power the car and keep it running. I had to remove that jumper and just have the wire going from the alternator back to the battery, then everything else on the other side of the lug.

So I had alternator and battery on one side of the switch, the big o gauge and fuel pump wiring, etc on the other side of the switch and when it was thrown the car shut down immediately like they wanted. But the 8 gauge wire I had going from the alternator to the rear of the car and the switch was just not enough apparently. I would have thought it was, but it was not.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 PM
8 Second Club

I am sure there is some good way of doing it, but as it stands, the way I had it wired, when I hit the battery kill switch, if I have the jumper going from the alternator to the main power lug in the engine compartment, even with the battery disconnected from the system, the alternator would still power the car and keep it running. I had to remove that jumper and just have the wire going from the alternator back to the battery, then everything else on the other side of the lug.

So I had alternator and battery on one side of the switch, the big o gauge and fuel pump wiring, etc on the other side of the switch and when it was thrown the car shut down immediately like they wanted. But the 8 gauge wire I had going from the alternator to the rear of the car and the switch was just not enough apparently. I would have thought it was, but it was not.
Yea thats the carb'd "old school"method of doing it for sure. I wanted to smack the tech guy for telling me I "Had" to do it that way. Thats horrible on electronics to just drop power like that. (esp if they flick it on and off real quick like they love to do) Think of it as a hard shut down on your home PC. With my old buick ECU sometimes it would also erases all the fuel trims and adjustments I had made. Not the best way IMO. But I suppose it will work.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Talking to my buddy Freeman who is the electronics guru, he thinks with the 8 gauge wire I was probably not charging at all and only providing about 40 amps to the battery.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea sarg 8 seems way to small, Im running 0 gauge from alt to battery. Get that switched out and then verify the alt is charging. I hate electrical issues as well. I had a pretty good one happen to me last week so ill tell yas just incase your running a transbrake. I was cruising around town and got on it for a second in first. Then BAM the car shuts off and the rear wheels locked up. Blew a main fuse in the mustang fuse panel. So replaced it and popped again right away. By this time its dark. So the next day I start tearing through the car and found 1 power wire that runs to the trans controlling the trans brake and converter lock. It was pinched under my radio. Thankfully I was only going like 20mph when it happend. But made me start double checking my wires and putting wire loom around ones that may need it.

And get your damn car down the track soon I just went down and im not saying the time since i went off the trans brake and spun 2.2 60ft. But trapped 137mph on 8.7psi lol
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

My first time down the track was even worse. I just rolled into the throttle slowly and did a half throttle pass. I hit a massive 15.5 at 108 slowly rolling into it to half throttle and shutting it down early. I just wanted to see how thing reacted. Tried fitting the slicks today and found that I was rubbing on the inside on the passenger side and the outside of the driver's side. Not sure how it is not centered, but it isn't for sure. Gotta figure that out. In the mean time I beat the snot out of the inner fender well and things are clearing on the passenger side, but still a little tight on the outside edge on the driver's side with the slicks.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first time down the track was even worse. I just rolled into the throttle slowly and did a half throttle pass. I hit a massive 15.5 at 108 slowly rolling into it to half throttle and shutting it down early. I just wanted to see how thing reacted. Tried fitting the slicks today and found that I was rubbing on the inside on the passenger side and the outside of the driver's side. Not sure how it is not centered, but it isn't for sure. Gotta figure that out. In the mean time I beat the snot out of the inner fender well and things are clearing on the passenger side, but still a little tight on the outside edge on the driver's side with the slicks.
What size tires? That's typical if your running stock suspension style parts every fox I've ever had has sat the rear like that. Only way to correct it is to re locate the rear flanges for upper and lower control arms. But if it's like 3/8 inch or so different it's normal. You can also turn one of your uppers a little and that will move the rear left and right but it's not advised they should be the exact same length
Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Tires are 275/60/15 street tires and 28/10.50/15 slicks. Both had the same issue. It was just worse with the slicks than the drag radials. It is probably 1/4" or less, but still causing clearance issues. I got the inner edge beat out pretty well, but the driver's side outside edge is still kinda tight. I might be able to roll the fender a bit more.

Quick Reply: Borg Warner S480 Turbo L33 5.3 1991 Mustang Notch build update 3/27