Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read thru this thread again. For the AC, what evap coil and condenser coil did you use? What about the accumulator?

Are all those parts from a late truck or some aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see people are wondering where to get ls motors. Try buying a complete salvage car,truck, or van. I been buying from IAAI(insurance auto auction incorperated) buyer registration to buy is $200 a year. You can buy as many you want but you have to watch what buyer fees are. Its based on money spent so know what your doing you be ok. sell off extra parts not needed scrap the rest. Rolled or rear ended cars usually the best to get.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Finally got the fuel system finished, but ran into a problem with the Dorman 3/8 nylon to nylon fittings. The part of the fitting that goes inside the nylon line to keep the ferrule from collapsing the line was too big for the steel line to fit in. The 5/16 fittings worked fine, the steel line fit inside it with no problem, but the 3/8 was too big. So what I did was to get fittings for steel lines, but then had to find something to put in the nylon line to keep it from collapsing. The hardware store had some, but they were either too big or too small. Then I realized that a piece of 5/16 steel line was a perfect fit inside the 3/8 nylon line, but of course it couldn't be that easy, because it made getting the brass ferrule on impossible, it was just a tad too big. I could have used the nylon ferrules that came with the nylon to nylon fittings, but felt more comfortable tith the brass ones, so I took the 5/16 steel line piece and cut it lenghtwise with a cut off wheel and pinched it back together with a pair of pliers, perfect fit!

This is what it looks like in the line.

This is pretty much the whole fuel system, from the fitting that goes in the sump, to the 100 micron pre-filter, Walbro 255, to the Wix filter. Doesn't look like much, and is only a couple feet long, but took a while to get everything just the way I wanted it. Everything is secured and nothing is rubbing on anything to cause problems down the road.

Cut a hole in the floor for the feed line to go through....

Tank back in and lines hooked up.

I bought a new fuel sender for a 6 cylinder since I needed a 5/16 line for a return, and my truck originally being a 350 had a 3/8 line sender. Made a new line for it too.

I'll try to get some pics of the lines installed tomorrow.

Fuel system wasn't all that expensive,

Walbro 255... $110
100 micron pre-filter.... $36
Wix fuel filter.... $15
Roughly $40 in compression fittings
Steel line.... $25
Grommet for floor $2
New fuel sender.... $30
Nylon line, factory steel line pieces with o ring fittings for fuel filter, clamps and fuel filter bracket all came from the u pull it.... $15
Eric,

I know this is a while back but could tell me what brand the 100 micron fuel filter is? I've scoured summit and ebay but not really anything that comes close to 100 micron. Most are 40 and down but the 100's that I have found are around $75.00 each.

Thanks

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Guess I should have put that in the original post since a couple of people have asked. The $36 cost I was including shipping costs. I bought the small $27 one, been going good for over 13k miles now. http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/filters.html
Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much in the way of progress in the last month, funny how not much gets done when you don;t work on it! Just way too cold around here these days. But I did manage to get the gauges finished up since I could bring them inside where it's warm. I didn't paint the needles or put it all in a shiny new bezel since I'm going for an untouched look on the interior. The casual observer probably won't even notice the gauges have been modified, the way I like it. I also added a voltmeter in place of the original ammeter, a clock in the unused lower hole, and you can't see it, but there's a 'check engine' light in the lower corner of the gas gauge.

After 35 plus years of dealing with Gen 1 small blocks, I finally overcame the fear & came to the darkside, & am performing my first LS swap, a 5.3 & 4l60e into a restomod 67 Chevy stepside pickup. I was originally going to build it with a LT1 from a 96 Z/28, but after riding in a friends 67 with a 6.0 & T56, I was hooked. I read for a year before starting, & all I can say is thank goodness for the brave souls like yourself who took the plunge & for sharing your experiences & innovations such as this on the internet, paving the way for the rest of us.

That is absolutely the nicest retrofit setup I have seen on a swap! It is much cleaner than any of the aftermarket gauge clusters out there. I read the entire thread, & then went to ebay & ordered a S10 cluster, lol! As I am getting ready to tackle this I have a question about the led for the high beam indicator. Our local Radio Shack closed a few months back so walking in & searching for one is out, do you have a part number so I can order it online, or a better picture of what I am looking for? And I am not quite sure about where you put the tint to keep the led from glowing when the dash lights are lit. Now on with the reading!

Oh, & I sent you a PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the compliments. As for the LED, I don't have a part number for it. And all of our Radio Shacks are closed too. I can tell you it was small. I'm almost positive it was this one however. http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/rad...l#.VbWi2tLz5jo

The tint goes between the clear plastic mounting part and the speedo face, it dims the LED a bit, but at night it's still very noticeable, and does keep it from 'glowing' whenever the dash lights are on.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Also, the truck just turned over 20k miles the other day and everything is still going good! Even the speedometer.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the truck just turned over 20k miles the other day and everything is still going good! Even the speedometer.
An old truck that is a reliable daily driver, what more can you ask for!

Appreciate the info on the led, looking forward to tackling this.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Do you still have this truck ? Could you post pics of how you hooked up the cruise control
Old 05-24-2016, 02:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BillyBurb
Do you still have this truck ? Could you post pics of how you hooked up the cruise control
Yes, I still have it. I can get you a pic of it in the morning. The module is just mounted to the left inner fender. Anything specific you want to see on it?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I would like to see how you routed your throttle cable and did you use your factory pedal because I've been told by a few people I need to run an aftermarket pedal 1970 suburban agin thank you
Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BillyBurb
Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I would like to see how you routed your throttle cable and did you use your factory pedal because I've been told by a few people I need to run an aftermarket pedal 1970 suburban agin thank you
This is how the module is mounted.

Name:  20160524_093448_zps9ectzr1g.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  379.0 KB

I used an Astro van module, and I "think" the cable is Astro too, but I do remember changing it, although I think it was with another Astro cable. I had to change the end that hooks to the throttle body since they were a little different, so there is a cable clamp on the end.

Name:  20160524_093521_zpsgywrwd0w.jpg
Views: 2837
Size:  337.7 KB

Name:  20160524_093528_zpsddkrsrar.jpg
Views: 2788
Size:  320.1 KB

As for the gas pedal, I used the factory one. 1971 was the first year for a cable rather than the older linkage type, so with your '70, you could swap to the '71-2 pedal and cut a hole in the firewall for the cable to go through. It's been done a lot of times and isn't that hard to do.

Name:  20160524_093427_zpsadmlfy8n.jpg
Views: 2808
Size:  348.8 KB

I used a junkyard cable out of a 90's chevy van and cut it to fit, so there is a cable stop on the gas pedal too.

Name:  20160524_093410_zps09eshoic.jpg
Views: 2787
Size:  261.9 KB
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much I've learned so much from your build
Old 01-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggie91
Just read thru this thread again. For the AC, what evap coil and condenser coil did you use? What about the accumulator?

Are all those parts from a late truck or some aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!
Same question here, I see a lot of people saying that for 67-72s you need to use a sanden compressor but it looks like you've used a stock compressor. Mind sharing the specs of your AC system? In all, did you swap out the condensor, evap coil, accumulator, compressor, and hoses?

Given the numerous aftermarket low mount sanden brackets out there for $$$ I'm surprised nobody is selling fittings like the one's you've fabbed up!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I think most of the mods to the A/C are in the thread. I used a square body evaporator to eliminate the POA valve and used a condenser out of a 98 Suburban I think it was. The hoses are custom made to go along with the custom fittings. The factory compressor fits nicely, but I did make my own engine stands so I could use the factory motor mounts, aftermarket mounts may not allowe the use of the stock compressor in that spot.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, how well has the low buck approach held up? Anything failed?

Thanks for sharing all the details
Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd1
Well, how well has the low buck approach held up? Anything failed?

Thanks for sharing all the details
I dont drive it every day, but when I need to haul something it's always the ready. It rolled over 28k miles the other day and has been pretty reliable. The alternator went out in the first year, but that was easily fixed with another junk yard one, and the hydroboost really needs seals because it leaks pretty bad, but other than that its been near perfect. Thanks for your interest!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was eyeing your fuel sump setup and may do something similar in my 64 belair. I was thinking of adding some kind of ball valve incase I had to pull the pump or something and didn't want to drain the whole tank.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Teching In

I have spent hundreds of hours researching the LS swap into a 67 C10 and I can watch this & read every page over & over. My question was the exhaust manifolds. You indicated they where Trailblazer SS. My searching has found 4x2, 4x4 SS Trailblazers over 2006 -2009 or some range like that. What did you TBSS manifolds come off of? They look and fit very well. My donor was an 03 Tahoe with a 5.3L. C10 forums indicate they don't fit because they are too wide. Is it best to get both or can the right side only work? I like your post on the OEM upper motor mount and the modified lower. My donor truck went away because my wife doesn't want anything around here, so I don't have the bottom half to work with. Great build. Looking forward to that info and your dash build should be a thread by itself. Wonderful analog look.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I posted on your thread on the other forum. As far as the manifolds go, 2wd and 4wd are the same on the TBSS and its variants. Basically if its a Trailblazer and it has a V8, it will have the manifolds you are looking for. you are correct, the truck manifolds are too wide at the rear, which makes them not a good candidate for a swap into a 67-72 truck. Usually when you find them, it will be a pair, so I'm not sure if a truck one will work on one side or not, but I do recall one side having more room than the other, but don't remember which, Thanks for the compliment, and there is a thread on the speedometer. Here's a link, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=512751 If it's something you want to try, I sell some of the parts to do it, there's a thread on that as well on the truck forum. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=600922

Last edited by ls1nova71; 02-04-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10