Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

what kind of prep do you need to do for a wrap? I really don't wanna do another paint job....i just wanna slap it together and race

i'll PM ya now
Old 12-31-2018, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
what kind of prep do you need to do for a wrap? I really don't wanna do another paint job....i just wanna slap it together and race

i'll PM ya now
The surface just really needs to be flat and the cleaned with alcohol. Ideally you'd want like paint or primer that's all one color/level under it. They recommend good paint or epoxy primer I believe mostly because it'll rip the paint off when you take the wrap off if it's not in good shape. The Fiero and the dually are both probably going to have issues when I pull it off but that's what I expect so I'm not going to lose my mind trying to prep them better.
Jessica
Old 12-31-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok so no surface rust dang
Old 12-31-2018, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

ok so no surface rust dang
I used spray can epoxy primer on my dually, then wet sanded it with 600 and dried it off with alcohol and then wrapped it. There wasn't any surface rust when I was done with the truck but there were some spots I had to fix. You can see the surface through the wrap,so on my Fiero there was a spot with some weird clear coat fading and you can still kind of see the uneven spot under the wrap. I'd wrap over rust, it might just bubble a little or show through like bad body work.
its just a matter of how much you feel like doing 😉
Old 12-31-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

it's a race car so it only needs to look good from the sidelines to the burnout box
Old 12-31-2018, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

it's a race car so it only needs to look good from the sidelines to the burnout box
Id totally wrap over whatever then! Heck mine isn't perfect and a lot of folks standing right next to it think it's paint!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Jeez a few months just flew by and I haven't taken any pictures and I've been sick or traveling for work. I rebuilt the steering column for the car, as well as the one out of my dually truck. That was a nightmare, one of the tilt pins got stuck and I had to drill out around it and replace the internals of the column. I think I got through all that now though. I also got an adapter for the El Camino so I can run a MOMO or Nardi wheel. I'm working on the hydroboost on my dually and hopefully figuring out the issues on it will help me put together a good system on the El Camino. I also ordered the pipes for the exhaust so I just need to either find a TIG welder for myself (and maybe a teacher) or someone that TIG welds that I trust and isn't too expensive to come help me modify the headers and start on the exhaust. I'm not sure how much I'll get done this winter, but at least there is some progress even if I don't have pictures of it. Maybe when I get back out there I can get some other piece finished and throw a pic up here.
Jessica
Old 01-19-2019, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

get one of those AHP's and just start zappin. it's the only way to learn. I'll help as much as I can with tips and guidance.

I been meaning to ask you if you want some new window seals & felts for the dually

I got a bunch of random stuff trading parts with a squarebody guy in eastern oregon, thought the windows were the same between the crew cabs and the burbs (they're not)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

get one of those AHP's and just start zappin. it's the only way to learn. I'll help as much as I can with tips and guidance.

I been meaning to ask you if you want some new window seals & felts for the dually

I got a bunch of random stuff trading parts with a squarebody guy in eastern oregon, thought the windows were the same between the crew cabs and the burbs (they're not)
I have been looking at the AHP and the Everlast welders but I need to figure out what is the best buy and makes sense for a little garage setup.
I'd definitely be interested in those parts, just PM me and we can figure it out.
Jessica
Old 02-04-2019, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Big news! I got the Fiero figured out, it was a crappy fuel pump causing tons of problems, so I got an Aeromotive 340lph pump (just like what I've got in the El Camino tank) and it works great. Still no overdrive so I'll need a transmission rebuild at some point but the car works and I can stop fiddling with it for a while. I also blew the intake gasket on my 4.3 Blazer and fixed that last week. All after being in Minnesota for a couple weeks and dealing with that balmy -20* weather.

So after all that things are coming together for the El Camino! I got the stainless exhaust pipes and I can start on that, the inner fenders are coming along nicely and the steering column is almost done (needs more metal finishing). The Dually has a new hydroboost I'm tring to get installed but I need a special tool and I finished rebuilding its steering column. All kinds of crap happening but its at least going in the right direction to have stuff done this spring and ready for summer. Hopefully in a month or so I can get a TIG welder and start trying to build the exhaust and some other projects that require such fancy things like that.

Jegs had a sale so I figured it was as good a time as any to buy these

I can honestly say I won't mind not working on this thing for a while. Also I've never had a more annoying car to pull a gas tank out of (its under the center console)

Jessica
Old 04-23-2019, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Still slowly making progress, got sick for about a week and also been traveling far too often for work so its been tough.

Working on making the inner fenders reach the core support

I wanted to bead roll that square, but its too small of a flat spot to really do much to add strength

Lots of little tacks and filler pieces

Also going to run some sort of air box, but its just cardboard at this point

Jessica
Old 06-04-2019, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

I've been travelling a lot for work (I was at over 50% there for a while) but things have stabilized and I'm home more lately. I kind of did a bunch of little stuff not worth mentioning for a while there (no one needs or wants to see a part blasted or cleaned or stuff like that).
I did get some time to make up an air box intake. I keep putting "start wiring subsection of the car" on my lists like the front header and lights, or the bumper and lights but I haven't had the time to devote to that so far. This was easy to do in stages and even if I forgot where I left off it was easy to come back to a few days or weeks later.

Decided the air box needed a little Pontiac "Ram Air" fanciness. The 3" duct pipe and hole saw all seemed to make the most sense for this attempt

I have a front chin spoiler with cutouts, so I just had to make a plenum

Cardboard was obviously the medium of choice for this.

I have to say the new Everlast welder makes all this stuff a hell of a lot easier

I'll have to cut the flex duct shorter but it'll fit perfect! I hope it'll help keep the intake temp down.

Also I finished up the majority of the dually! I have a few items left to deal with before any long trips but its basically done. Its also ridiculously low, and its static still so that will be an adventure.

Thats all for now. I just finished retrofitting the '01 rear seat with shoulder harnesses in the dually and I'm almost done with the sheet metal in the bed. I've got some bed liner to spray in the bed, and some wiring to sort out (damn headlight switch and HVAC not working are giving me headaches).

Hope you all are having a good spring and your summer will be spent cruising around in the hot rods!
Jessica
Old 06-04-2019, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Good job on the cold air intake and I am loving the dually!

Andrew
Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Good job on the cold air intake and I am loving the dually!

Andrew
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hadn't looked in on ya in a while. Sometimes with life any progress is good progress. Progress for most of us comes & goes in spurts, so just stay with it when you can.
Driving an LS powered black el camino is fun, so keep that in mind.
And yea, the dually is lookin pretty good there girl.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
Hadn't looked in on ya in a while. Sometimes with life any progress is good progress. Progress for most of us comes & goes in spurts, so just stay with it when you can.
Driving an LS powered black el camino is fun, so keep that in mind.
And yea, the dually is lookin pretty good there girl.

Thanks! I really can't wait to drive it again. I've got the Fiero; which is quick and fun, but not a muscle car at all. The dually is a riot, but again its not a muscle car. Since I sold my Camaro I really miss having something thats got a lot of torque and is just a lot of fun and loud!
I love your El Camino by the way, I remember when you first started working on it and I saw it on the forums, it is so wild and very cool.
Jessica
Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here's 22 seconds of inspiration to get your 6 litre running..
Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Damn.....
Old 06-13-2019, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

I never really liked how when you delete the HVAC box in a G-Body it leaves half the cowl missing and I know you can buy one of these for about $50 but I had some extra sheet metal in the garage and figured I'd give it a shot.

I've got a good bit of momentum for the project recently, and I hope it keeps up for a while.
Jessica
The following users liked this post:
Cheese Weasel (06-21-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, keep it going there. I'd say you got the right idea for the cowl cover.
When I did my ac over 10 years ago I was trying to figure something. Was walking in salvage yard & spotted a cowl cover laying in walkway (or I think it spotted me) Worked it a little & got it under the wiper blades. Turns out it's an early s-10 part. Has grills in it which I think smooth may look better, so may modify or make from scratch later.

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build