Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "LT" engine series announced to replace the LS series

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX user
450HP with a 200* cam with a 50lb.ft. torque gain. Amazing. These raised intake ports, almost into the valve covers, bleed HP. In typical Chevrolet launch mode we get the basic release and in 3 years we'll see 600+HP with a cam swap and headers! I'm an all motor fan so power adders don't mean ? to me. I'd like to see some flow numbers with these smaller 2.130 intake valves, although they are canted 2.5 degrees.
I thought i was the only one that realized the potential of a cam swap. The intake valves arent really too much smaller to affect anything. Theyre .03 smaller than the ls3 intake valves. Im also interested in flow numbers.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's pretty cool. It won't be long before they figure these things out and people start making some serious numbers. Parts will start flying off shelves for these things. I'll consider putting one in my 99 SS. Have an LS1 car with a LT1 swap. Blow peoples minds !!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

I'd do a blowthru carb setup on one and toss it in my fox body coupe.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a step in the right direction in design and power.

The use of the LT1 name is not..

With LSX engines avail and easily putting out the same numbers for a fraction of the cost it will be years before it makes sense to swap one of these new LT1 into anything.

That is unless for some few where money is no issue.

You can pry my LQ9 from my cold dead hands.....
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
It "appears" as though the heads might interchange.
Do you mean interchange with the Gen III/IV blocks? I see a few things that make me think not. The dowels are moved to the upper bolt position and the smaller bolts that went along the head at the top have either been moved or removed in the new design. Also since the intake & exhaust valves have swapped places, you would certainly need a custom cam with reordered lobes.

I am wondering if the overall length increased and if the bellhousing pattern is the same. It seems likely they would maintain the pattern to mate to existing transmissions.

Overall it looks like a lot of carry over from the Gen IV in slightly revised packaging with the only major technology change being the direct injection. I find it very interesting they haven't gone to independent VVT, but where GM seems to shine on these engines is keeping the cost and complexity down while still meeting the power, economy, and emissions requirements.

It's a tragedy they are reusing the LT1 designation. Nothing against the LT1, but it really confuses things.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by superdave84
Yeah? And what about the guys on message boards like this asking "LT1 to LS1 fuel lines?" Now everyone has to clarify everything over and over, and it's totally unnessesary. And I stated in the very first post that there were already LS engines decades ago....doesn't make the idea to name this series LT any less stupid.
I guess we could just refer them as LT1-V?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-

I am wondering if the overall length increased and if the bellhousing pattern is the same. It seems likely they would maintain the pattern to mate to existing transmissions.
i was wondering that too, check out this pic, just eyeballing it looks like top bolt hole is offcenter, but the rest are in "normal" position for chev v8. seems they had to offset top bolt to avoid interference with high pressure pump.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93NotchLX
I'd do a blowthru carb setup on one and toss it in my fox body coupe.
nooooooooo!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The future!

anyone that converts this engine to carb needs to be hit with a rotting Carp.
First off, this is hilarious! BTW, I'm dropping a carb'd 5.3 into my Nova

If it follows along with the LT series reputation then it shouldn't be around too long lol. I don't see this heap of over-engineering being any better than the Ls. They should have just updated the Ls series again. This new design looks overly complicated for no real reason or benefit. Now we have to take the entire top of the engine off to change an injector? And now the injector will be triple the price!
This is exactly what people said when the LS engines came out! Huh, I guess history really is bound to repeat itself!

I bet in 6 years time, gen V swaps will be all the rage, and anyone rebuilding/swapping a lowly LS engine will be considered a caveman. Time will tell.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Its great and all that they made this new engine. But what they really needed to do was make a smaller diesel to go into the avalanche, half ton silverado, tahoe, and suburban! How long are they going to let those trucks get crappy mileage with no option for a diesel engine!? Come on GM!
I agree. I was mad when they killed the smaller diesel in the 1500s
Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I agree. I was mad when they killed the smaller diesel in the 1500s
If they made a, say, 4 liter v6 version of the duramax it would be perfect for those trucks. The fuel mileage would be outstanding and I guarantee their sales would rise substantially.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

nooooooooo!!!
No different than what I'm already doing. It'll be a few years, but I bet they eventually make a carb manifold, you know, just like they did for the last 50+ years worth of SBC's
Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,736 Likes on 2,268 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Do you mean interchange with the Gen III/IV blocks? I see a few things that make me think not. The dowels are moved to the upper bolt position and the smaller bolts that went along the head at the top have either been moved or removed in the new design. Also since the intake & exhaust valves have swapped places, you would certainly need a custom cam with reordered lobes.

Overall it looks like a lot of carry over from the Gen IV in slightly revised packaging with the only major technology change being the direct injection. I find it very interesting they haven't gone to independent VVT, but where GM seems to shine on these engines is keeping the cost and complexity down while still meeting the power, economy, and emissions requirements.

It's a tragedy they are reusing the LT1 designation. Nothing against the LT1, but it really confuses things.
Yes I was referring to the gen 3/4 block. The dowels are an easy fix. No problem there. And the m8 bolts across the top of our "current" heads, well I really don't know why they are threre anyway. I'm glad they're gone now, maybe it will make the price of an ARP bolt kit go down a little, with the removal of 6 fasteners. And there should also be no need in building a custom cam, as the...wait for it...LT-1 camshaft should fit into the LS block. Oh god, here we go. I can see this already. Trying to explain your mods to the masses. "Yeah, it's an ls3, with an LT1 cam and head upgrade" ...assuming I'm right about the bore centers.
I'm sure there will probably be an LT2, or LT3?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If they made a, say, 4 liter v6 version of the duramax it would be perfect for those trucks. The fuel mileage would be outstanding and I guarantee their sales would rise substantially.
GM already has a 4.5L Durmax!!! It was rated est. 300hp and 500ft and would have had the 6l90 behind it. Google it. It was slated for 2010 truck but got pulled when GM went bankrupt. Its designed to fit anywhere a small block will fit with out mods. GM even had a suburban at SEMA with that engine around that time.

I hope they offer it in the 2014 truck which debut Dec. 13!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bo185
GM already has a 4.5L Durmax!!! It was rated est. 300hp and 500ft and would have had the 6l90 behind it. Google it. It was slated for 2010 truck but got pulled when GM went bankrupt. Its designed to fit anywhere a small block will fit with out mods. GM even had a suburban at SEMA with that engine around that time.

I hope they offer it in the 2014 truck which debut Dec. 13!!!
Whoa really!? I didn't know that. I really hope they start using it in their half tons and suv's. It would make all the difference.
Man I loved my tahoe but it got terrible gas mileage. I really miss that truck but i won't buy another truck that's not diesel.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Yes I was referring to the gen 3/4 block. The dowels are an easy fix. No problem there. And the m8 bolts across the top of our "current" heads, well I really don't know why they are threre anyway. I'm glad they're gone now, maybe it will make the price of an ARP bolt kit go down a little, with the removal of 6 fasteners. And there should also be no need in building a custom cam, as the...wait for it...LT-1 camshaft should fit into the LS block. Oh god, here we go. I can see this already. Trying to explain your mods to the masses. "Yeah, it's an ls3, with an LT1 cam and head upgrade" ...assuming I'm right about the bore centers.
I'm sure there will probably be an LT2, or LT3?
bore centers are the same.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 327 Likes on 247 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That and there are 5 of them M8 bolts, not 6, per side. Unless I read that wrong..

The name is kinda bleh IMO, I can see it the same as everyone else has said is as being confusing.

"I have a polymer LT1 Intake!!!"
"I have an aluminum LT1 Block!!"

I wonder if this Waterpump has a weep hole..
Old 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys hating on carbs might want to hold off and see how expensive that direct injection is going to be to work on. Something tells me upgraded injectors will be a tad more expensive than current ones, and HP will be limited by the stock high pressure pump. Yes, the aftermarket will step in but what will that cost?

Anyone know what is involved with spraying a DI motor? Seems like it will be a bit more complicated.

You know the old saying, better is the enemy of good enough.

By the way, direct injection on gasoline motors has been around forever. That was part of the reason WWII German fighter aircraft did more with less. Aside from possibly the metallurgy and electronics most of these ideas are not even new let along high tech.

And don't blame GM for the lack of diesels. Write your congressman. Smog laws are what makes diesels less than desirable in the US.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You guys hating on carbs might want to hold off and see how expensive that direct injection is going to be to work on. Something tells me upgraded injectors will be a tad more expensive than current ones, and HP will be limited by the stock high pressure pump. Yes, the aftermarket will step in but what will that cost?

Anyone know what is involved with spraying a DI motor? Seems like it will be a bit more complicated.
Should be easy, the nozzle can go any where you want in the intake, there are no injectors to work around.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

You know the old saying, better is the enemy of good enough.

By the way, direct injection on gasoline motors has been around forever. That was part of the reason WWII German fighter aircraft did more with less. Aside from possibly the metallurgy and electronics most of these ideas are not even new let along high tech.

And don't blame GM for the lack of diesels. Write your congressman. Smog laws are what makes diesels less than desirable in the US.
direct injection wont need injector or pump upgrades as soon, and smog laws arent why diesels are less desirable.

uneducated consumer, and price are. both of those contribute to low sales of diesels in things other than fullsize trucks.

Quick Reply: New "LT" engine series announced to replace the LS series