Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again I have let this thread languish, sorry.

Just before my dyno day I ordered something to help with my ignition woes. The MegaSuirt is a little fussy about the LS crank sensor signal and if I adjusted it for an easy start it lost sync at higher RPM, and if I adjusted it for sync at high RPM it became a bear to start when cold.

So I bought something called a "signal conditioner" to help with this problem. It showed up 2 days before my dyno time and and I told myself to make the dyno run and then install it, you know leave it alone since it is working.

So I did exactly the opposite and installed the signal conditioner! It is the little green circuit board at the tip of the red arrow in this pic.

Name:  VRConditionerinstalled_zps324d4ea4.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  174.5 KB

Then I put it back in the car, and did a test crank. Hooked up to the oscilloscope I had a very clean signal, this was gonna rock.

Name:  Scope_zps23417645.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  116.0 KB

Then when I went to actually fire it up I somehow let some of the magic smoke out of the MegaSquirt and everything was done for the year. There was no chance of fixing this before my dyno time. I shorted something and burned a trace on my relay board. See the red arrow.

Name:  Burnedtrace_zpscf143bdf.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  185.5 KB

So that was it for 2014 and the Turbo Monte.

But as Winter has progressed so has this project.

I bought myself a beautiful Christmas present. An AHP Alpha Tig welder. I have been teaching myself to TIG weld and it is awesome.

Name:  AHPWelder_zps342e587c.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  160.2 KB

I bought a huge mess of 2.25" pipe so I could redo the 2.5" hotside on the car. I want to make it a lot more compact and pretty.

Name:  hotside%20parts_zpsni4urikc.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  116.5 KB

I bought a bunch of steel locally for a DIY weld bench.

Name:  Steel_zpsyprwio76.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  162.7 KB

I wrangled my wife to be the camera person to catch me in action with the TIG.

Name:  TIG%20Welding_zpsghhbc4tn.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  112.1 KB

And I finished my rolling weld table.

Name:  Finished%20welding%20table_zpsveqyplcv.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  113.3 KB

I bought some traction for this monster in the form of some Mickey Thompson Drag radials.

Name:  DragRadial_zpsa25df3ce.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  190.6 KB

A rough test fit showed they should look sick tucked into the rear wheel wells.

Name:  dragradialmockfit_zpsdcb9b8c2.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  101.7 KB

Then I had them mounted on the killer set of reproduction Rallye wheels I bought. And yes, they really do look kick ***.

Name:  dragradialmounted_zps64d2bf5d.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  128.7 KB

And here is the best profile pic I can do until the car is powered again and can be photographed outside. But it looks pretty good to me.

Name:  rallyewheelsinstalled_zpsa3d6c615.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  127.4 KB

I ordered some Weather Pack connectors to help with the rewire I am doing on the MS wiring harness.

Name:  Weather%20Pack%20connectors_zpsqil4aqs0.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  177.0 KB

And last night I finished up the rework on the interior harness for the MS. There is a bunch yet to go but I am close to waking the old girl from her long slumber. This rewire has come out awesome if I do say so myself.

Name:  rewired%20harness_zpsn1lvbujw.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  104.9 KB

I am pretty sure the car was putting down at least 400-425 RWHP before I killed it. I was running around at 7 PSI and the thing was just retarded. TO be honest I think it may have been quite a bit more than that.

But Spring is about to show up here and then I will have some dyno number finally.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the wheels. Congrats on the Tig. I have the same one and love it.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Where did you buy the piping from?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
Where did you buy the piping from?

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/
Old 04-05-2015, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Small update.

Car is all put back together and running awesome. I haven't been able to get it out on the road yet, but it starts and runs great. My rewire was a success.

I backed it out into the driveway the other day and snapped a couple of pics. This is the first time the car has moved under its own power since last December. Kind of a big day for me to be honest.

Those drag radials look pretty sick I think.

Name:  Rally%20wheels_zpskdvcyst0.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  187.7 KB

Name:  Rally%20wheels%202_zpsmcqijysp.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  144.4 KB

Here is a video update I put together. Enjoy! More coming soon.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Look what we have here.

Name:  on%20the%20dyno_zpsoizy9uuk.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  197.3 KB

Today was the day!! I was on the dyno at 9:30 this morning.

Since I share my failures and my successes with you guys this one is borderline failure.

I thought I had the transmission properly configured to lock the converter and keep it locked when I manually shifted but sadly I didn't. So every time I would start a dyno pull the converter would unlock and slip. So my output was painfully low and the dyno sheet is all kinds of crazy! But I have video and it is pretty cool. Turn your speakers up, really great turbo noise and V8 noise. No spoilers on the number, you gotta watch the vid to find out. I'm running the loud pedal in the video even though you can't see me.

Stay tuned, more dyno time to come as well as 1/8 mile videos!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of boost?
Old 05-08-2015, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sarg
What kind of boost?

Per the datalog that pull had 9.5-10 lbs the whole time. And a super rich 10.7:1 AFR.

Regardless of what the dyno shows this thing is a beast!

Check out the dyno sheet. Look at the sharp drop in HP when the converter unlocks. Dang I wish it had stayed locked up so I had a hard number. It doesn't matter but I am curious!

TQ and HP crossed each other at 4300 RPM so things were definitely out of whack!

Name:  Dyno%20Sheet_zpsq0nomvbm.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  125.1 KB
Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboMonte
Per the datalog that pull had 9.5-10 lbs the whole time. And a super rich 10.7:1 AFR.

Regardless of what the dyno shows this thing is a beast!

Check out the dyno sheet. Look at the sharp drop in HP when the converter unlocks. Dang I wish it had stayed locked up so I had a hard number. It doesn't matter but I am curious!

TQ and HP crossed each other at 4300 RPM so things were definitely out of whack!

Your horsepowear and torque are scaled different that why it crosses at 4300. Good work and keep at it. Every pound of boost makes it that much more fun. You may have something else going on besides the converter. My 5.3 made 500rwhp with the converter unlocked and the pull lasted a couple of seconds. If your converter was slipping bad enough to drop power that much you should have been banging the rev limiter would you not?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chiaj144
Your horsepowear and torque are scaled different that why it crosses at 4300. Good work and keep at it. Every pound of boost makes it that much more fun. You may have something else going on besides the converter. My 5.3 made 500rwhp with the converter unlocked and the pull lasted a couple of seconds. If your converter was slipping bad enough to drop power that much you should have been banging the rev limiter would you not?
Jeez I don't really know enough dyno runs to speak with any kind of real authority.

That particular run was terminated at 5800 RPM so I was a long way from the rev limiter.

Was your 500 HP run on a DynoJet? This was a Mustang which I believe works quite a bit differently.

I am quite sure this thing is making a lot more than 311 RWHP.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, you should definitely be making way more power. 500-600 for sure with ease.

You graph looks like it's breaking up. When was the last time you did ignition related things? Plugs? What is your timing set at?

Doug
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by douglee25
Yeah, you should definitely be making way more power. 500-600 for sure with ease.

You graph looks like it's breaking up. When was the last time you did ignition related things? Plugs? What is your timing set at?

Doug
Plugs are brand new, and it was definitely not breaking up. It was running great on that last pull. Making a buttload of power, just a bit unnerving to hold it wide open for 15 or so seconds while stationary!

I went back over the datalog and I was at around 50% duty cycle on 80 lb injectors along with meth injection. Rough math shows that I was at about 500 crank horsepower if I am doing my math correctly.

Timing was at 14 degrees at 10 lbs of boost and about 5500 RPM so I think I am right in the ballpark for 500 CHP. The car is certainly very strong on the street. It has enough grunt to make most folks **** their pants. It is a lot of fun!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you're happy, that's all that matters. From reviewing the dyno graph, something isn't right. You should be at easily 500 wheel hp with that setup. It's showing 311. That's really low.

See a couple of dyno shots of 5.3's to see what I'm talking about. The first one is probably closer to your setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post18503064

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post18426334

What ECU are you running? Refresh my memory on your entire setup - motor too.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics