Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E39 Touring LSX 427/TR6060 project

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I re-routed the intake and my intake air temps dropped from 130 while driving to ambient temp. And at stop lights idling, it dropped from a max of 160 down to around 100. I can already feel the increase in power but I keep getting code P068 when I go over 40% throttle where it then goes into limp mode. Tuner is trying to remedy that but no luck thus far.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Numbers seem a bit on the low side for having a cam and headers. Stock LS7s make those numbers.
No stock LS7 does 475 rwhp on an eddy current dyno. On a dynojet, SAE rwhp of 450-460 is typical. My early C6Z did 520 rwhp with a small cam and headers, and 465 rwhp stock on a dynojet.

SWAGON's numbers are reasonable for his mods with a safe pump gas tune, and a hot air intake. ;-)

I need to find an excuse to come to VA just to ride in that beast.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I have a feeling that with my new intake setup/almost cutting my intake temps in half, I will see a fair increase on the numbers as there was a lot of timing being pulled prior. I just need to get the car back to the tuner so he can get rid of my P0068, P0101 and P0106 codes that I keep getting each time. P0068 throws it into limp mode which is really obnoxious. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes I can go part or WOT and nothing is wrong and then other times I do the same and it will throw the codes/go into limp mode.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Ran into an interesting problem recently.

I checked my oil this week and it was not registering on the dipstick. I added 1.5 quarts and it still didn't show. I didn't want to risk overfilling as I thought my dipstick might not be ideal for the application so I decided to go ahead and change the oil to measure what came out so I would know for sure.

Only 4 quarts came out!! Which means I could have potentially lost up to 4 quarts since I first filled it with 6.5 added another 1.5. I did a leakdown test on the motor not long ago and got only 1% or less leakdown on all cylinders so I know the rings are good. I have seen zero oil dripping nor have I seen a single sign of oil under the car. No smoke out of the exhaust and coolant reservoir is solid translucent green with no mud etc.

What the heck is going on?! I am going to closely monitor the level now to see if it continues.

On a positive note, the tuner made some changes and fixed my code issues. The car runs like an absolute beast and it hooks up so well. It's the most fun car I have ever driven and I surprise the hell out of people all the time. I also have yet to pull into a parking lot without people walking up to me scratching their heads

Last edited by SWAGON; 08-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Teching In

No dry sump, correct?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Correct. Autokraft oil pan.

I also had an issue recently where the car sounded like it was running on 4 or 6 cylinders and was ticking. It went away shortly thereafter when I let the car sit and then started up again. This was all going on when I was having tuning issues so I assumed it was related. The guy who got me the motor thinks I starved the engine of oil and the missing/ticking was due to some of the lifters being starved. So it seems I will now have to pull the motor and replace the bearings I was probably running the engine on 2.5 quarts at the time of the odd running issue which is not good. I never got a CEL but not sure if I would have or if it would have thrown a low oil light which is not coded from the GM ECU in my cluster.

What a bummer The engine runs fine now but it doesn't seem worth the risk of throwing a rod down the road if the bearings are in fact now worn. Before I do that, I need to try and find out where the oil is going. My guy thought valve seals or PCV. I will pull the plugs to look tonight and will also run the engine up to temp, shut down for an hour and then start again to see if there is any smoke. Not sure what other tests I can do but would be open to suggestion. How would I know if the PCV is bad?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That oil is going somewhere, check the intake and see if it is full of oil also pull the oil filter and cut it apart to check for bearing material if there is an issue with the bottom end you will find out quick. Low oil pressure can also cause the ticks and weird valvetrain noises, the pump check valve may be sticking...did the motor sit for a long period after it was built and dyno run?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Launching!

It did indeed. It sat for about a year.

I pulled 4 of the plugs. Couldn't get the back 4 out b/c my pivoting extension is boxed up somewhere in storage. They all looked like this.

There was no metal in the oil and none stuck to the magnetic drain plug.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Launching!

There is no smoke on hot startup nor after hitting the gas following decel. Doesn't seem like it's the valve seals The PCV hose was flipped and since it has a big/small end, not sure if that has something to do with it. There was some oil inside that hose as well as the intake manifold but none pooled etc. If it keeps loosing oil at a high rate, I will pull the manifold and valley pan. No oil smell in the exhaust and so far it hasn't lost anymore. I may have dogded a bullet but will constantly monitor the oil level.

In the mean time, I will definitely be getting these brakes on with 6 piston front/rear and 388mm/360mm 2 piece rotors instead of the front 12 pot on this car.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

I hope the motor isn't hurt....

Can you post up some pics of how the exhaust tips turned out by the rear bumper?

Also what accessories work on the e39 swap? Will truck accessories clear?

You are running GTO accessories?

Nice swap. Really digging this.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SWAGON
There is no smoke on hot startup nor after hitting the gas following decel. Doesn't seem like it's the valve seals The PCV hose was flipped and since it has a big/small end, not sure if that has something to do with it. There was some oil inside that hose as well as the intake manifold but none pooled etc. If it keeps loosing oil at a high rate, I will pull the manifold and valley pan. No oil smell in the exhaust and so far it hasn't lost anymore. I may have dogded a bullet but will constantly monitor the oil level.

In the mean time, I will definitely be getting these brakes on with 6 piston front/rear and 388mm/360mm 2 piece rotors instead of the front 12 pot on this car.

That's Sams car, he works at WP. Get ahold of him for options, I want to do 8F-6R.
That 540 is getting an unknown transplant, probably a JDM swap.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Yeah, he is the one I have been talking to

About the accessories, I am using a CTSV kit. Not sure about fitment with anything from the trucks. But there are a number of guys with E39 using different kits.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Old 09-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Excellent turnout at Cars and Coffee today. My friend took a few pix I liked. The Z is one of my dad's five 240's.

I have to build one of those wagons for my 8 month old son!

v

Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Radio Flyer is hot, no doubt. But your wagon looks to be the baddest of them all...
Old 09-21-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That Radio Flyer is hot as hell. I used to have one as a kid...not cool like that, but I remember lots of good times in it. I sure that little dude will remember his too.

Hey Man, your wagon is a monster out there. Two scoops of bad azz
Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Nice pics! Now, you just need bigger brakes. ;-)
Old 09-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Indeed. I hope those will be on the car sooner than later but right now, I just want to get our house built
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Launching!

I am getting consistant smoke on hot startup so it seems it's definitely the valve seals. I will be putting new ones in sometime in Nov-December. In the meant time, I am dropping the car off at Fortune Auto this Thursday so they can create solid upper rear mounts and re-valve the rear shocks to be 20% stiffer. Then I will install my front Shroeder 1.25" sway bar and lastly, will drop the car off at my exhaust guys place for the quad 3" polishes stainless tips.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Fortune is working on the car and will be installing my massive sway bar for me. They are also creating the prototype upper shock mounts for me. I cannot wait to get the car back to see how it handles. Then my exhaust guy will be taking the car back this weekend to finally install the quad stainless 3" tips and my M5 rear valence. I found out that I get a discount through my work for my new home which will allow me to have no closing costs. Which means my 6 piston front and rear brakes will come sooner than later

Stopped by to drop off the sway bar parts yesterday and snapped a few pix.

Quick Reply: BMW E39 Touring LSX 427/TR6060 project