Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New fuel pump option - Aeromotive P/N 18688 - anyone else considering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New fuel pump option - Aeromotive P/N 18688 - anyone else considering?

I did a search and can't believe there aren't any posts about this yet. If it does what they claim, this is a great in-tank fuel pump solution, IMO. I have an external in-line Walbro 255 (with all the normal, expected starvation issues) that I've been running for 2 years now waiting for a decent solution using my existing stock tank. I hope this works!

Anybody else looking at this? I'm really curious how it keeps fuel from sloshing out of the "foam bucket" while accelerating or cornering, but also let's it replenish fast enough.

Thoughts?

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...th-fuel-system

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 67 goat
I did a search and can't believe there aren't any posts about this yet. If it does what they claim, this is a great in-tank fuel pump solution, IMO. I have an external in-line Walbro 255 (with all the normal, expected starvation issues) that I've been running for 2 years now waiting for a decent solution using my existing stock tank. I hope this works!

Anybody else looking at this? I'm really curious how it keeps fuel from sloshing out of the "foam bucket" while accelerating or cornering, but also let's it replenish fast enough.

Thoughts?

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...th-fuel-system

Thanks,
Jeff
I've got the Aero-340 pump, but hacked into my stock S-truck hanger. Can't tell you about the "system" but the pump is great!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm may look into that more.I already have a stealth 340.I love it.supported around 600whp and quiet
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Subscribe...

I wonder if there is enough room between the tank top and trunk floor on 1969 Camaro / Firebird's... as well as other cars?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lost_in_calgary
Subscribe...

I wonder if there is enough room between the tank top and trunk floor on 1969 Camaro / Firebird's... as well as other cars?
Lucky for you, they actually make a specific tank for your car! And I think it's very reasonably priced. For less than $200 more than the pump setup, you get a whole tank! I inquired about an a-body tank.....no such luck just yet.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...lth-fuel-tank/

$740 from Summit.

-Jeff
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Launching!

As for other cars, I'm expecting to have to fabricate a small channel in my trunk to clear the top of the pump and and the fuel lines. Fortunately, I'm assuming I can mount the pump pretty close to the front of the tank, which is the lowest point anyway. I guess the other option is to space the whole tank down a little, but I'm not so crazy about that option.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Looks like it has a plastic bucket -black- at the bottom of the foam. Maybe it has a check valve to let in fuel? You could do the same thing with a factory module that has check valves, and even built in pressure regulator. There are several kits, or do it you could do it yourself. I used a factory module and changed out the pump. The Fbody modules even have a siphon to keep a higher level in the bucket than the tank has.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Bump....looking for reviews on this Phatom Aeromotive setup...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

bump...I need to start ordering fuel system components very soon.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've asked about that system in a couple of threads and didn't get a response from anyone who was using it. It is new and rather expensive so seemingly not very popular yet.

Most fuel cells use foam of some type, so seems like what they are using would be effective.

Tanks Inc has something similar but it uses a sheet metal reservoir that inserts through the cut out in the top. Much cheaper and offers a wider choice of pumps. There are a number of members using that.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

I ran the same Walbro 255 liter/hour external pump for 11 years on 3 different vehicles (rock crawlers), 8 years on a TPI 350 and 3 years on an LQ4 and it was a great pump. What are the issue some of you are having? Mine would run upside down with only a couple gallons in the fuel cell. I'd loose oil pressure before fuel pressure.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I've asked about that system in a couple of threads and didn't get a response from anyone who was using it. It is new and rather expensive so seemingly not very popular yet.

Most fuel cells use foam of some type, so seems like what they are using would be effective.

Tanks Inc has something similar but it uses a sheet metal reservoir that inserts through the cut out in the top. Much cheaper and offers a wider choice of pumps. There are a number of members using that.
Great site.Thanks for posting.Tanks Inc has done it right and their prices are reasonable.This is the way I'm going.

Quick Reply: New fuel pump option - Aeromotive P/N 18688 - anyone else considering?