Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swentzel
Where did you get the black air box off the throttle body?

http://www.intakehoses.com/mm5/merch...gory_Code=CHEW
Old 04-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you or the info. It looks like they have everything to complete my 2000 Carerra C2 LS3 480 HP build.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by swentzel
Thank you or the info. It looks like they have everything to complete my 2000 Carerra C2 LS3 480 HP build.
Are you doing a build thread? Would like to see in-progress.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Default 996 LS3conversion

I have a question on how you plumbed your pcv system. Rear tube on valve cover (Porsche passenger side) is currently capped. Intake valley has a hose leading to rear of throttle body. Front valve cover (Porsche driver side) is capped. Do you leave the rear plug capped (dirty air) or somehow "T" it into the throttle body? The front valve cover tube is suppose to be for "clear air" and is it plumbed to the air filter housing or metal pipe past the air filter and before the MAF. GM has led me to believe it goes between the MAF and throttle body which to me is not allowing the MAF to measure clean air. Before or after the MAF. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I took so long to reply, I couldn't find the pictures so I took new ones, I got rid of all the dirty air going into the intake and installed a catch can that seems to be working great. Mostly cause I'm still chasing a 0507 code ( idle rpm higher then expected) thinking it might help. Here's some pictures on what I've done.
Name:  DSCN3231_zpsjjm9gbv8.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  303.9 KB

This shows the catch can going to the engine left side valve cover
Name:  DSCN3232_zpsecrltyjc.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  299.5 KB

This shows the eng rt valve cover routed to the valley pan and the oil cap breather that has a check ball in it to allow pressure out and not in
Old 04-28-2016, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I have the same catch can and was planning the same set up.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Sorry I took so long to reply, I couldn't find the pictures so I took new ones, I got rid of all the dirty air going into the intake and installed a catch can that seems to be working great. Mostly cause I'm still chasing a 0507 code ( idle rpm higher then expected) thinking it might help. Here's some pictures on what I've done.

This shows the catch can going to the engine left side valve cover

This shows the eng rt valve cover routed to the valley pan and the oil cap breather that has a check ball in it to allow pressure out and not in

Good work man, I was following your post on Rennlist when it went to hell I joined this group just to follow your swap progress. Just wondering a couple of things if you don't mind?

Why has your swap taking so long to complete? Did you go the full route of Ren V8 kit? I know at almost $8k it seems expensive & I would think it would be complete? The videos they have shown are just impressive with the HP the car gets after the swap. I'm in the hunt for a 996 and knowing how the engine can get if not maintained, the LS3 swap seems like an interesting way to go only if a 996 has a blown engine

Last edited by 911Dreamer; 04-28-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 911Dreamer
Good work man, I was following your post on Rennlist when it went to hell I joined this group just to follow your swap progress. Just wondering a couple of things if you don't mind?

Why has your swap taking so long to complete? Did you go the full route of Ren V8 kit? I know at almost $8k it seems expensive & I would think it would be complete? The videos they have shown are just impressive with the HP the car gets after the swap. I'm in the hunt for a 996 and knowing how the engine can get if not maintained, the LS3 swap seems like an interesting way to go only if a 996 has a blown engine
Thanks, biggest reason it took so long was I agreed with the wife and didn't use any of our savings to build, I had to sell other toys and parts to fund. I bought the RH power steering kit and the basic motor swap kit, less then $4500 if I remember correctly. This car is a blast in every respect, gets attention always, especially with the LS3 stickers, handles and sounds great and can probably be built at half the cost of a replacement engine. Let me know if you ever plan a build.
Name:  DSCN3223_zps0v3it698.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  280.6 KB
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4LUX
I have the same catch can and was planning the same set up.
Hey, How's yours going haven't seen much lately?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Did I miss the video of this beast???
Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Did I miss the video of this beast???
Yeah one of these days I'm gonna video, I still haven't had it professionally tuned, mostly it's a money thing, I've got too many other interests.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Hey, How's yours going haven't seen much lately?
I am in the same boat as you, to many other hobbies and not enough time. The money side is not an issue, I have all the parts. Just need to find the time, I have had to many honey do projects to get much done.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM

Thanks, biggest reason it took so long was I agreed with the wife and didn't use any of our savings to build, I had to sell other toys and parts to fund. I bought the RH power steering kit and the basic motor swap kit, less then $4500 if I remember correctly. This car is a blast in every respect, gets attention always, especially with the LS3 stickers, handles and sounds great and can probably be built at half the cost of a replacement engine. Let me know if you ever plan a build.
Your 996 LS looks sweet When I get my 996 it will have the M96 engine until it blows up but I don't plan on that happening, I plan on getting a MK1 Aero car. I'll also wait till everyone has the bugs worked out with these conversions, If I ever did one, I would want everything to work as it did before and with no issues
Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 911Dreamer
Your 996 LS looks sweet When I get my 996 it will have the M96 engine until it blows up but I don't plan on that happening, I plan on getting a MK1 Aero car. I'll also wait till everyone has the bugs worked out with these conversions, If I ever did one, I would want everything to work as it did before and with no issues
Not sure if you've read my entire build, but the only things that don't work are the cruise control and the PSM (Porsche stability management system), mostly cause the Porsche computer can't control the motor. The Cruise can probably be controlled by the GM if it is wired in correctly, (not important now). Also the Porsche oil level dash indicator is inop. This car is way cooler than any stock 911, much more fun and attention. I've got about 8k miles on it now and would not even consider a trade for any other 911 turbo or not. Plus your looking at 1 of about 25 and this was the newest year model done.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:01 PM

Not sure if you've read my entire build, but the only things that don't work are the cruise control and the PSM (Porsche stability management system), mostly cause the Porsche computer can't control the motor. The Cruise can probably be controlled by the GM if it is wired in correctly, (not important now). Also the Porsche oil level dash indicator is inop. This car is way cooler than any stock 911, much more fun and attention. I've got about 8k miles on it now and would not even consider a trade for any other 911 turbo or not. Plus your looking at 1 of about 25 and this was the newest year model done.

Sorry I thought I read the whole thread? I thought you were still having issues with the engine. Good to hear its going good for you. Cruise is a 50/50 with me, PSM 5/50. So I assume if the oil gauge is in op, the water temp gauge is working, correct? I think you wouldn't give up the 996 with that power ratio after all that work...You've peaked my interest even more
Old 05-03-2016, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

How did you get the AC working and talking to the Ls motor?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hayabusa
How did you get the AC working and talking to the Ls motor?
Porsche computer controls a/c wire to GM compressor
Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Default Ac for swap

Since I have Boxster I believe that have to use the porsche compresser. Do you think having wired the porsche Ecu it will work with wire would I need or sensor to make it work thanks for your help.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Fierofly,

I wonder how much power the new 2018 mid-engine Vette transmission will be able to take. ... i sure hope it will be a good fit for us Porsche conversion guys.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-zora-feature
Old 08-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

another question, Are you getting a P0108 (MAP sensor high) code with your catch can setup like that?
If you need to borrow HP tuners let me know.

Quick Reply: 2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion