Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Needs more turbo !
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Teching In

So are you letting the porsche side (relays) take care of the ignition, engine fans, and fuel pump? If so, do you have any wiring going from the GM harness to the porsche fans or fuel pump? Where did you tap into the porsche harness to power the ignition wire on the GM harness? What all relays are on your gm harness? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyboy
So are you letting the porsche side (relays) take care of the ignition, engine fans, and fuel pump? If so, do you have any wiring going from the GM harness to the porsche fans or fuel pump? Where did you tap into the porsche harness to power the ignition wire on the GM harness? What all relays are on your gm harness? Thanks!
The answer to most of these questions is, I'm not sure what I'm going to use YET. The GM harness is a stand alone and has a wire and relay for the Fans and Fuel pump. I jumpered the Porsche fuel pump relay a few days ago to try and get the rest of the bad gas out of the tank. This started fuel pulsating out of the return line, which didn't make sense. So I decided maybe the tank was infact empty so I tried to put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in tank, well after about 3 gallons it started backing up. So next I tried to jumper the fuel relay again and got nothing, so I checked voltage at relay and got nothing. I'm stumped and looking at wiring diagrams to figure out what and why I lost voltage to the Porsche fuel pump relay. I've checked the relay fuse and it's good. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Porsche ECM not getting some signal from what I'm not sure.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Decided to use the GM relay for the fuel pump. I ran some temp wires to the pump and it works but it pulsates the fuel instead of a steady high pressure, not sure if this is normal. I'll see if it builds up proper line pressure after I get the Corvette filter and lines plumbed.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

I didn't read your whole thread, I'm not sure if you addressed it yet. There was a class action law suite for IMS failures. I didn't follow it because I had aTT 996 and it didn't have this issue.

Did your friend look into it?

Nice build by the way, looks great
Old 06-28-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Droptopws6
I didn't read your whole thread, I'm not sure if you addressed it yet. There was a class action law suite for IMS failures. I didn't follow it because I had aTT 996 and it didn't have this issue.

Did your friend look into it?

Nice build by the way, looks great
Yep already addressed, I bought the car 7 weeks before the settlement and I pulled and sold the rebuildable motor 2 weeks prior. I wouldn't put that type motor back in it anyway, this WILL be so much better.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found the reason the fuel pump was pulsating, no fuel in tank, put 5 gallons in and it works fine. Also did some research and found that on the 2002 and newer they used an in tank lifetime filter and pressure regulator so no need for a corvette fuel filter. Now I need to run fuel lines and see just what kind of pressure I get. I'm going to use the GM stand alone harness's fuel pump relay to control the pump, mostly cause Porsche has a controller that changes the pump cycle depending on RPM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM
LSA

You've made a ton of progress since I last looked I just got mine running! Good choice on using the GM ecu to power the fuel pump, for some reason randomly the Porsche ecu just cut power to the fuel pump one day on me, drove us crazy trying to figure it out. Getting exhaust welded up now.

Hmmm, I didn't realize there was an intank filter, I went with the corvette filter/regulator and I had to make little adapters because the to the rail line on the 996 is equal to the return size on the filter and the return is equal to the rail nipple.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSA
You've made a ton of progress since I last looked I just got mine running! Good choice on using the GM ecu to power the fuel pump, for some reason randomly the Porsche ecu just cut power to the fuel pump one day on me, drove us crazy trying to figure it out. Getting exhaust welded up now.

Hmmm, I didn't realize there was an intank filter, I went with the corvette filter/regulator and I had to make little adapters because the to the rail line on the 996 is equal to the return size on the filter and the return is equal to the rail nipple.
Near as I can tell the 2002+ doesn't have a fuel return to the tank. The line I thought was a return is, I think, an air pump line that came from the secondary air pump. Now the question is will the tank vent properly if I just leave this line open or does it need pressure. I bought the corvette filter also and will probably not use. Are you using the GM pedal?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 PM
LSA

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Near as I can tell the 2002+ doesn't have a fuel return to the tank. The line I thought was a return is, I think, an air pump line that came from the secondary air pump. Now the question is will the tank vent properly if I just leave this line open or does it need pressure. I bought the corvette filter also and will probably not use. Are you using the GM pedal?
I mayyy have hooked some stuff up incorrectly then but I could swear on mine there were three fuel lines in, return and vent.

Yes, I used the gm pedal. As far as I know that was way easier than trying to get the Porsche pedal to work.

Wanted to ask which oil pan are you using and how deep is it? I have whatever oil pan is stock on the erod ls3 and it's roughly 6.75 inches tall which makes ground clearance kind of sketchy some times. I think I'm going to try and find something a bit more low profile.

Last edited by LSA; 06-30-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=LSA;18298180]I mayyy have hooked some stuff up incorrectly then but I could swear on mine there were three fuel lines in, return and vent.

Yes, I used the gm pedal. As far as I know that was way easier than trying to get the Porsche pedal to work.

Wanted to ask which oil pan are you using and how deep is it? I have whatever oil pan is stock on the erod ls3 and it's roughly 6.75 inches tall which makes ground clearance kind of sketchy some times. I think I'm going to try and find something a bit more low profile.[/QUOTE

Yes, If your using the Bentley service Manual See page 20-3 It shows 2 lines coming from the tank SUPPLY, VENT.

I'm using the Corvette oil pan 4 3/4 tall, 5qt.

I've done some ohm's checks on the GM and the Porsche pedal and had some different people look at them and they all said that if wired correctly the Porsche should work, this will save a lot of under dash work cause I can use the original wires in the rear seat. I'm going to get it running with the GM pedal unmounted then switch over to the Porsche pedal and then see what happens.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  DSCN2716_zpsc82424b0.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  296.9 KB

Name:  DSCN2715_zpsab03a8fb.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  274.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2698_zps8ea8cc05.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  296.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2697_zpsdf4130ca.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  284.1 KB
Name:  DSCN2695_zps9946235e.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  287.4 KB
Old 07-01-2014, 02:34 PM
LSA

That last picture has me wondering too. I connected the coolant lines a little differently per a diagram Renegade gave me. I tee'd the steam tube line into the line coming into the back of the expansion tank. (the overflow off the top of the radiator I think) not into the nipple under the bleeder cap. Why'd you do it like that?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't done much thought on the cooling YET. I haven't ordered the cooling kit from Renegade yet. I'm still trying to figure out this LS cooling routing and thought this might work for the steam vents.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  DSCN2720_zps2b4ca7ce.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  256.2 KB

Exhaust Wrapped, Gonna stink and smoke on start up.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

what are you going to connect the green circled outlet to?
And if you dont leave the current setup with the steam ports at the top, what will you connect there instead?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by txstormtrooper
what are you going to connect the green circled outlet to?
And if you dont leave the current setup with the steam ports at the top, what will you connect there instead?

I'm still researching the cooling system, I'm thinking that might be the return for the heater. I'm still working on the fuel line today, Bought the wrong fitting.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  DSCN2733_zps5464b88b.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  299.1 KB

Note the pos battery cable at top rt. this is a pass thru terminal that will also power the relays and computer inside.

Name:  DSCN2734_zpsdd9506c1.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  305.1 KB
Old 07-05-2014, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are those manifolds from?

Shame about the A-10. Sure there are other craft that can do the CAS job but none nearly as well. (active AF btw) The F-35 isn't exactly getting good reviews and the F-22 is only JUST getting over it's major issues. Entire squadrons at Hickam weren't allowed to fly for months because of it.

Edit: room for TT and A2W IC? I think so. Noice!

Can the 4wd be maintained from the C4S? nvm found it. You can keep the 4wd.

Last edited by Exidous; 07-05-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exidous
Where are those manifolds from?

Shame about the A-10. Sure there are other craft that can do the CAS job but none nearly as well. (active AF btw) The F-35 isn't exactly getting good reviews and the F-22 is only JUST getting over it's major issues. Entire squadrons at Hickam weren't allowed to fly for months because of it.

Edit: room for TT and A2W IC? I think so. Noice!

Can the 4wd be maintained from the C4S? nvm found it. You can keep the 4wd.
Manifolds are E-Bay China $200 cheapee's, that I wrapped to help keep the heat down,

A10 and the F35 is pure politics and absolutely NO common sense, if you talk to the people that are actually using and depending on these planes for their life you'll get the REAL story.

The awd system on the C4S will handle the 500hp. I was worried about the increased torque, but after talking to others that have put a few thousand miles on theirs, they've had no problems.

Quick Reply: 2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion