Sponsored by:

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camarodude87
Bump. Curious how you got the 15" rally wheel to fit with ls1 brakes. Thanks
Sorry, I did not get the wheels to fit so I had to remove the calipers so I could roll it around the garage. Going to look into aftermarket wheels. I'm not interested in spacers or grinding on the caliper like I have heard others do.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update. I ended up buying a set of the Rev 107 wheels I mentioned earlier although I'm still waiting on one of the fronts to get here and also haven't gotten anything else done on mine. Looking forward to the time change and some daylight when I get home.
I went with 17x9 rears and 17x7 fronts. They take regular tapered seat lug nuts and are drilled for both the standard 5 x 4.75" GM car pattern AND for the 5 x 5" GM truck pattern too. They offer them in a completely polished finish, but I went with the silver powdercoat with polished "lips" which makes them look like a normal rally wheel with a trim ring on it. My stock rally wheel center caps fit and I'm going to use the short '67 disc brake style rally center caps.
I hope I don't sound like an ad for them, I'm just extremely impressed with the quality for the price. I only wish they offered a 10" or 11" wide rear wheel. My car was already mini-tubbed so I have room and 315 or 335's would look a lot meaner.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Thanks for the update. I ended up buying a set of the Rev 107 wheels I mentioned earlier although I'm still waiting on one of the fronts to get here and also haven't gotten anything else done on mine. Looking forward to the time change and some daylight when I get home.
I went with 17x9 rears and 17x7 fronts. They take regular tapered seat lug nuts and are drilled for both the standard 5 x 4.75" GM car pattern AND for the 5 x 5" GM truck pattern too. They offer them in a completely polished finish, but I went with the silver powdercoat with polished "lips" which makes them look like a normal rally wheel with a trim ring on it. My stock rally wheel center caps fit and I'm going to use the short '67 disc brake style rally center caps.
I hope I don't sound like an ad for them, I'm just extremely impressed with the quality for the price. I only wish they offered a 10" or 11" wide rear wheel. My car was already mini-tubbed so I have room and 315 or 335's would look a lot meaner.
NICE! Please send me a picture once you have them installed. I'd like to see what they look like. Thanks...
Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey Daniel, are you still working on the Camaro? I miss seeing your updates.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

@bandit hey how you been? Progress has been very slow on the Camaro. I've been focusing on coaching kids sports and fixing around the house. Just need to find time and money to move forward at this point, lol. How have you been?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

I hear ya! I think we're working at about the same intermittent pace. Kids and family take priority though. What is next on your list?

I've been doing well - similarly busy with the kiddos. Mine will be 3 and 6 pretty soon they keep us busy. I have been plugging away here and there on my Nova and it's getting close to ready to start. I came to the realization that there just isn't much left to do and that's motivating in itself.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I hear ya! I think we're working at about the same intermittent pace. Kids and family take priority though. What is next on your list?

I've been doing well - similarly busy with the kiddos. Mine will be 3 and 6 pretty soon they keep us busy. I have been plugging away here and there on my Nova and it's getting close to ready to start. I came to the realization that there just isn't much left to do and that's motivating in itself.
@clint. I hear you. I think I'm in the same boat with not a lot left to do to get it fired up. I'll need to decide on a few things, brakes (still on the fence if I want to use LS brakes or go smaller and keep rally wheels) and I'm going to need to re-wire the car (going to farm that out) run fuel lines, brake lines, and get a radiator/fans. I'm thinking this could realistically be done relatively fast but it's tough to find the time to get out there and turn wrenches on the car. Plus I've been DJ'ing (my other hobby) around town which kills me as far as sleep goes. Can't wait to get the Camaro running and my daughter is bugging me as well, she's 11 about to be 12. Time flies so enjoy the time with your little ones. Happy to hear all is well with you and the family. We need to do lunch sometime soon, either there in Oxnard or here in LA.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Perfect timing and advice Clint! I've been seriously bogged down with other things and on the rare occasion I think about getting something going on the car I get side tracked with "where do I begin?". I really like your suggestion about focusing on getting the car started first. At this phase, I will have to have the car wiring done because there is no wiring. However, I was hoping to farm that part of the project out so I can speed things up and get to focusing on start up. The way I see it for my ride is as follows:
1. finish motor mount placement.
2. mount front accessory drive (likely upper mounted alternator since low mount Fbody is not going to work on my frame).
3. purchase/mount radiator and fans.
4. purchase and install engine harness.
5. send for AAW classic update install.
6. install gas tank.
7. run fuel lines to engine.
8. Turn key and see if she'll fire up.

That is a brief summary of where I need to be in order to get this car started. I know it is going to cost more to have wiring kit installed but given my lack of time lately that might be the best option for the camaro to get finished. Can't believe it's been 5 years of tooling/life on this car. I'm getting frustrated and want to see it drive under it's own power. While I thought about doing the clutch etc. I might just wait until the engine is running and then pull tranny from underneath the car and change it the old fashioned way...on my back:-).
Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

My strategy lately has been to focus my effort on only the tasks needed to get the engine running. Once those things are crossed off and I have the grin of hearing it run, I will starting working through items needed to get it road worthy. In your case that would mean forgetting about the brakes and rewiring the rest of the car (unless absolutely needed to get the engine running), and going ahead on mounting the radiator/fans so you can plumb up the engine. I think if you chunk the whole car into smaller, more manageable projects, you will find yourself reaching goals more often and finding motivation in the progress. This is what I've learned from going on 6 years of dragging my feet

Sorry our posts appear out of order because I deleted mine intending to come back to it and add some discussion. You must have loaded it up right away and replied while I was deleting it. Fortunately I saved it on my computer and was able to repost it.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MisterD
1. finish motor mount placement.
2. mount front accessory drive (likely upper mounted alternator since low mount Fbody is not going to work on my frame).
3. purchase/mount radiator and fans.
4. purchase and install engine harness.
5. send for AAW classic update install.
6. install gas tank.
7. run fuel lines to engine.
8. Turn key and see if she'll fire up.
Perfect check list! I bet you can tackle #1 pretty quickly if you set a couple hours aside. I made a similar list a few months ago and I'm stoked to have several items crossed off. It was just a matter of sticking to the plan and negotiating a little time in the garage.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Perfect check list! I bet you can tackle #1 pretty quickly if you set a couple hours aside. I made a similar list a few months ago and I'm stoked to have several items crossed off. It was just a matter of sticking to the plan and negotiating a little time in the garage.
Yeah I agree. I was hoping to get in the garage yesterday to get things sorted out and ready for work. Never happened but it will soon I'm sure. Thanks for the push and for the perfect timing on the suggestion of just firing up the engine and going from there.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you ever get 17" rally wheels?
Old 11-25-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camarodude87
Did you ever get 17" rally wheels?
hey there... No i have not pulled the trigger on wheels yet because there's too many other things I need for the car to get it running. Can't wait to get to that point of buying wheels though...
Old 11-25-2016, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterD
hey there... No i have not pulled the trigger on wheels yet because there's too many other things I need for the car to get it running. Can't wait to get to that point of buying wheels though...
I hear ya. I have to redo my entire cars wiring as well. Build a CAI. Fit my drivers door window. list goes on and on.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay so I'm dusting off this thread for anyone who is still tuned in, I'm back at it! Thanksgiving was productive. I'm trying to figure out how to post pics now that photobucket switched policy so any advice is appreciated. Over the break I did final fitment of engine for angle/header clearance etc. (ended up using 302 stands and corresponding motor mounts). Turned down rear axles to clear/center rotors for 4th gen camaro brakes, installed upper and lower hotchkis control arms, removed engine and trans to do clutch/rear main seal/other odds and ends before re-installing for the final time. It's getting closer to being fired up...I can feel it! Feels good to be back in the garage after a long break. Any tips so I can post pics?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I switched to Flickr. Seems to work well, so far.

Jay
Old 12-01-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JayinMI
I switched to Flickr. Seems to work well, so far.

Jay
Thanks Jay, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you and I are in the same boat, back to working on mine also, need to host pics so I can do some updates,
Old 12-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the riddler chrome 695 17x7 and 18 x 9.5 on my 67 and they turned out great! Just barley had enough clearance for he rear with a 275/40 18... I did a 225/45 in front
Old 12-01-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Great news. Can't wait for the photos!

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"