Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-photo549.jpg67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-photo928.jpg
Old 12-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-photo416.jpg
Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Almost 5 years in the making !
Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

If anyone needs any advise on the pro touring for a 67 camaro I’ve tried almost everything
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

I started with a gen1 sbc, then ls2 auto then to an Ls3 416 with a T-56
Old 12-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

I'm sure a lot more people would post pics .......me included......if we could just load them directly
Old 12-02-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterD
...Any tips so I can post pics?....
Originally Posted by Steve68
... need to host pics so I can do some updates,
Originally Posted by 87c10
I'm sure a lot more people would post pics .......me included......if we could just load them directly

You can post pics directly to the forum. You don't need to host them elsewhere. I will demonstrate by doing so in this thread (sorry for the hijack):

First, click the drop-down next to the little paperclip at the top of the posting box. A pop-up will appear prompting you to choose files to upload.
You can choose more than one file at a time. After you have selected all of the images that you'd like to upload, click "Upload"

Once the images are uploaded, click the drop-down next to the paperclip again. You will now see a list of the files you uploaded available to be inserted into your post in a box called "Manage Attachments"

Select "Insert All" and the images will be inserted into your post as Thumbnails.

If you'd prefer to have the full image displayed, rather than the Thumbnail; First, preview the post. With the post previewed, right click each image and select "Open image in a new tab."

Once the image is dipalyed in a new tab, copy the URL of the image.

Now, go back to your post and insert each image URL inside the regular image tags ([IMG] Image URL Here [/IMG])
Attached Thumbnails 67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-list.jpg   67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-attach.jpg  

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 12-06-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:14 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok this is just a Picture test for me now that Photo bucket is not allowing
any down loads. I uploaded it using " Manage Attachments " below from "My Pictures" I guess I'll have to start saving my pictures there from now on.

Anyway this is my car 11 years in the making LS2/ 4l70 from an 07 TBSS.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1512298986

Thanks , Tony
Attached Thumbnails 67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-9d51bd00-e8c2-4af3-a7f9-7bbf4329994e_zpsxgxpwftu.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

You guys really should start your own threads instead of highjacking MisterDs. Practice good Internetiquette.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
You guys really should start your own threads instead of highjacking MisterDs. Practice good Internetiquette.
...Any tips so I can post pics?....
The OP asked for help.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
You can post pics directly to the forum. You don't need to host them elsewhere. I will demonstrate by doing so in this thread (sorry for the hijack):

First, click the drop-down next to the little paperclip at the top of the posting box. A pop-up will appear prompting you to choose files to upload.
You can choose more than one file at a time. After you have selected all of the images that you'd like to upload, click "Upload"

Once the images are uploaded, click the drop-down next to the paperclip again. You will now see a list of the files you uploaded available to be inserted into your post in a box called "Manage Attachments"

Select "Insert All" and the images will be inserted into your post as Thumbnails.

If you'd prefer to have the full image displayed, rather than the Thumbnail; First, preview the post. With the post previewed, right click each image and select "Open image in a new tab."

Once the image is dipalyed in a new tab, copy the URL of the image.

Now, go back to your post and insert each image URL inside the regular image tags ([IMG] Image URL Here [/IMG])
This is very helpful thank you for taking the time and posting the screenshots.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I realized that I did not get pics of the rear brakes installed/rotors centered on rear end but they are much better than in the past, more centered on both sides, now that I machined the axles down. Also, I have many more parts that just came in to complete the clutch job/holley oil pan/rear main seal. That work will be happening soon. In the mean time here are a few pictures for the most recent update during thanksgiving break.

Control arms to be installed:
67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-img_20171122_114443528_hdr.jpg

Installed:

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-img_20171122_144057454_hdr.jpg

Shot of engine/new control arms:

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-img_20171122_162231490.jpg

Stance after arms and 3" drop springs (hotchkis):

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-img_20171122_165126024.jpg

Machining rear axle hub for 4th gen camaro rear rotor clearance:

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-img_20171124_153313474.jpg

LUK/LS7 Clutch in box (to be installed soon):

67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"-img_20171129_182904915_hdr.jpg
Old 12-08-2017, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Is that drum hubs turned down with a new stud pattern drilled? What size/type of studs? Did you modify those yourself?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is that drum hubs turned down with a new stud pattern drilled? What size/type of studs? Did you modify those yourself?
Good eye! That is actually my dad's efforts from back in the 90's. He was working on making late model brakes work on the car before the whole "LS/4th gen" brake craze happened. Think it was 5 on 5 pattern but could not confirm. it's only on that one side hub not driver's side.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

What brakes are you using? I am trying to decide what to do up front to go with my LS1 rears. What master cylinder size did you decide on?

I see myself heading toward a brake system snowball/overhaul and it looks like I might have a lot to learn from your experience.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

What brakes are you using? I am trying to decide what to do up front to go with my LS1 rears. What master cylinder size did you decide on?

I see myself heading toward a brake system snowball/overhaul and it looks like I might have a lot to learn from your experience.
Going all 4th gen for my build because I got the parts "free" when I bought the engine/trans from the 02 camaro. I might have an extra set of front calipers as well, they had a few 4th gens on the scrap yard they didn't care about so we grabbed what we could use. I believe the master is 1" bore (power brakes) from 70's vette. I can not recall the bracket I used up front but several vendors sell the kit to use 4th gen camaro brakes on the front. If you have disk brake spindles you would use shims to shim the bracket out flush with top bolt hole or machine down the lower hole to match if you have drum spindles. I'll dig up a write up and send it to you.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. I have found a few good write-ups on the various brake swaps, just curious which route you were going.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I have found a few good write-ups on the various brake swaps, just curious which route you were going.
No problem Clint! Good luck with your decision. I'll be looking at your write up on this.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with this guy, priced well,complete kit, fit well and 13"disc

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

Tony
Old 05-28-2018, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Back at it 2018

YEAH YEAH YEAH, ANOTHER first gen camaro LS conversion, hence the name project "belly button" everyone has one right! I hope to make mine stand out from the crowd and maintain as much of a budget as possible so follow along.

Alright after about two years of working on my car, browsing and posting on several of your threads (thanks G-Mag, TSnow, BMF5150, the artist formerly known as Klimaxx etc.) I have decided to get a thread of my own going. Hopefully someone out there will follow along patiently and learn from my mistakes, lol. Here goes the story:

Back in 1992 my father and I purchased this 1967 camaro for $500.00 in Yorba Linda California because it was not running and needed to be towed out of the owners mother's driveway. My father tinkered with the brakes but no serious work happened to the car. It mostly sat in the garage while I went to college, started a family, got married etc. FINALLY a few years ago the day came when he said I could have the car and a game plan was set up.

Here is the car after being garaged for about 10 years:

The plan now is to install a pull out 2002 SS camaro LS1/T56 in the car. Of course I came across a few bumps in the road along the way and I ended up replacing front floor pans, powdercoated the inner fenderwells, subframe and all components, even the radiator core support got powdercoated. My buddy and I prepped and painted the firewall and underside of the car as well.

Off to powdercoat:

Paint/prep:

Firewall work:

Prepped for paint:

From there we installed the powdercoated subframe, a-arms, spindles etc. with new Moog ball joints, bushings etc. I also added the LS1/fourth gen camaro brake adapters and my dad turned the hubs to fit the rotors:

Using tractor trailer heavy duty drum lathe to turn down hubs (dad's a pro with this machine, old school!)

I also prepped and painted all of the suspension components and even scored a set of original short Z-28 steering arms from the guy I bought the brake kit from, he traded me straight across for my originals, score!

The donor engine and trans came from a roll over 2002 SS camaro. I found receipts etc and contacted the original owner of the car in Texas and he said it was FAST so be careful, he and his friend were both fine after the wreck, and that he babied the car and only drove it on long road trips to visit his in-laws. The combo has about 90K on it (yeah I know that is a little high but I got a sweet deal on the combo).

I currently am at a point in the build where I am fitting the engine/trans in the car using 1" setback plates and ATS adjustable crossmember. I am psyched because Doug Thorley used my car as the mock up car for their brand new 67-69 camaro LS conversion headers and all I can say is Nick and Jaime are top notch professional guys and the product is SWEET (they have pics posted on their facebook page so check them out!!!). Step design/stainless steel long tubes, they should go into production soon so keep an eye out. I'll let Nick post more information about that.

I also recently purchased a vaporworx tank since I picked up some extra work and felt that that was one area where I should spend a little more on the project so as not to have starvation issues etc. Plus Carl is a local/nice guy to deal with:-)

Anyway, I have TONS more work that I have done to the car over the past few years so feel free to ask any questions (for example I have converted the tailshaft of the trans for mechanical speedo, AAW classic update it to be installed, POR 15 on inside floor pans, DSE minitubs POSSIBLY this summer, hotchkis 3" drop springs all around etc.). I hope to get the engine fired up this summer but with work, kids, new house time is tighter than a June bride!

Couple recent pics:

So a few questions for everyone:
1. What should I do to the motor prior to firing it up again (it has been sitting a while but I did hear it run when I purchased it). Timing chain, oil pump, LS7 clutch/slave/master? Any suggestions on what chain, oil pump to get?

2. Do you all have any input regarding keeping the stock GM computer and harness and have Jon at Speartech re-work it or should I ditch that, save up funds, and get the Holley Dominator or Avenger computer/harness.

3. Any thoughts about the DSE minitubs? Anyone done it? I am not a great welder but I do have friends who can help with this if needed. I'm not sure it is necessary given that I will be keeping the leaf springs. BUT there is a little rust where the rear shocks mount so that will need attending to and minitubs might take care of that.

Let me know what you think guys, it feels great to FINALLY get this thread started after YEARS of lurking on Tsnows and others. There are GREAT projects here and standards are high on these first gen camaro builds but I will do my best with project belly button.
Well life sometimes gets in the way of progress but I'm happy to report I've been slowly chipping away at the car. Engine placement is set, removed from car to replace clutch/paint, installed Holley 302-2 pan, installed Hotchkis upper/lower control arms. Out back I had axels turned down to accept 4th gen Camaro rotors and finally aligned/centered rotor to caliper. Many more things to still do but I'm hoping to get this the engine started by end of summer even if the cat is doesn't move on its own power, lol. Some pics for good measure... Cheers!

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro swap, project "belly button"