Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 z32 ls1 swap out of 02 camaro need wiring help.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1990 z32 ls1 swap out of 02 camaro need wiring help.!!!

here is my build thread on Ricekiller.com
http://www.ricekiller.com/forums/thread121964.html

Hey i was jw if you knew anything about the wiring of an 02 camaro ls1 motor. the motor is in and everything is hooked up but when i go to start it it only clicks. idk where to even start searching. i built my own standalone harness following lt1swap directions. i also have the stock 02 camaro battery cables. wiring from the cables go from negative termanl on battery to a ground on body (chassis), than down to the transmission bolt. is that correct?? or does that tranny ground have to go to the starter? now for the positive side of the battery i have the red cable running down to the starter, it runs out the other side of the connection on the battery terminal to the alternator and also a connector for my fuse and relay center.all 3 are seperate wires, i also have my grounds in the harness coming from the pcm hooked up to the Drivers side Head bolt( located on the back side of the head).wiring isnt my strong side and i dont wanna F*** anything up. im thinking its a grounding issue or bad starter. any help or suggestions would be apperated!
Thanks Ryan
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Did you get the VATS removed from the computer?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

See if you can turn motor by hand. Then have starter tested.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Teching In

yes motor will turn by hand for sure!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Teching In

VATS won't make a difference in the starter running. The wiring for the battery is correct. Honestly hard to mess that up. What wire do you have running to your starter? A black wire with a yellow line in it? Does it get 12v when the key is in start position? Is the starter relay under the driver side fender good? If it was a manual I would ask if the clutch is pushed in but since it's not figure out how all the neutral safety works on the autos. I bet there is something in the shifter/trans you removed that will allow the starter relay to switch and send 12v to the starter solenoid. Best bet is to hook a volt meter to the wire on the starter solenoid and see if you get 12v when the key is in start,
Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm being completely serious when I say: Check the simple things first! I've wasted a lot of time and money by overlooking the simplest failure modes. The battery cable routing sounds fine... as mentioned before its hard to mess up. You say that "it just clicks"... what is clicking? If the starter is clicking you should follow that troubleshooting path:

1. Check the battery with a volt meter and load tester. Maybe borrow the battery from your daily driver just to eliminate this variable.
2. Check that you get 12V at the starter
3. Jump the starter to see if it turns over.
4. Have Auto Zone or similar load test the starter... Even this isn't a sure thing, as I've personally had a starter checked good and couldn't start the car until I installed a new starter.

Verify all thos variables are up to snuff and let us know.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Teching In

found my problem the battery wasn't giving the starter enough juice to start it!
sounds stupid but least the problem is resolved! thanks for the quick responses!. the car would only turn over and not start. wasn't getting spark so i went to check my crank angle sensor and i had no pig-tale on it. mistaken for the cam sensor... stupid me. i picked the pig-tale for 25 locally and she fired right up. only ran for about 3 seconds tho. VATS apparently need to be removed! ill start working on a build thread for ls1tech here shortly! getting my drive shaft made Friday and computer tuned Friday so i should be set and on the road by Sunday!!!! ill get some videos and pics of her all finished up here shortly. couldn't be any happier with the results!!! spending that kinda money on a motor and trans that i didn't hear run scared me! i put my trust in a strangers hands and it turned out in my favor! running motor thank goodness!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 AM
Teching In

here are some videos of what the car is doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-XF...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPWi1...ature=youtu.be
the problem is that when i plug in my # 3 injector wire the injector seems to stick open, or i presume its sticking open because its dumping fuel out of my drivers side exhaust manifold onto the ground. I purchased a brand new injector. and new plugs. all of my other injectors are working perfectly. i built my own standalone harness with instructions from lt1swap. im jw if it could be a wiring issue. do you know if its a grounded system or not? im really stuck and idk where to go from here. also like i said im getting fuel of course! too much atm. im getting spark. and i pulled the plugs and # 3 is the only one soaked in fuel. also was going to say that if i unplug the injector wire #3 it runs fine no fuel leaking but when i plug it in it does instantly start pouring gas out the manifold. its just weird that this is the only one giving me an issue any help would be awesome thanks!!
also can Text me at 605-695-5286 if that works too!!

Quick Reply: 1990 z32 ls1 swap out of 02 camaro need wiring help.!!!