Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010+ Camaro Caliper and Rotor setup on a early A-body

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010+ Camaro Caliper and Rotor setup on a early A-body

Hi guys, I need some professional input.
-So, I would like to run them on a stock spindle(short). The brakes are 14" rotors and 4 piston calipers. I have searched through Kore3's site and found nothing, although they had posted a year ago on pro-touring.com that they were woking something out for this application. Anyone know if they figured it out? I would like to not run AFX spindles (too much money!) but do need a better brake and I am trying to keep a budget. I know that a few teenagers have had to have wrecked their daddy's new camaro by now! Thanks in advance guys!

Can anyone give me some sort of advice on what I will need to do.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that swap is completely possible should be close to the same as the swap that I am doing right now brembo swap from cts-v here is the build thread on it now check it out and let me know if this helps.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ing-broke.html
Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at the CPP spindle. Its essentially the same as the AFX but I think its cheaper.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by E.rodz
that swap is completely possible should be close to the same as the swap that I am doing right now brembo swap from cts-v here is the build thread on it now check it out and let me know if this helps.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ing-broke.html
Thanks Erodz. Your build has been very helpful. I noticed that you fabbed your own bracket. Could you send me the template you used?

Originally Posted by sierrac3_s2000
Have you looked at the CPP spindle. Its essentially the same as the AFX but I think its cheaper.
Sierrac3 I'm a little cautious of CPP not from my own personal experience many friends have had questionable experiences with their stuff. I will check it out never the less.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

I did it on my 71 Chevelle, custom front brackets and lines, rear custom brackets, spacers, c-clip eliminators, and custom lines. Front was pretty straight forward bout the same as a regular Ls1 brake swap, rear was a little more involved. Had to install the c-clip eliminators to keep from pad slap. And with the custom brackets still had to do custom spacers to get the caliper to line up correctly.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
I did it on my 71 Chevelle, custom front brackets and lines, rear custom brackets, spacers, c-clip eliminators, and custom lines. Front was pretty straight forward bout the same as a regular Ls1 brake swap, rear was a little more involved. Had to install the c-clip eliminators to keep from pad slap. And with the custom brackets still had to do custom spacers to get the caliper to line up correctly.
Looks good. Do you have any complaints with the setup? Were you able to utilize the stock E-Brake? What size wheels did you have to use in order for them to fit? Did you make your own brackets or buy them? If you bought them where from?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

No complaints, but I just got the swap done and have a few other things to finish up on the car before I hit the road. Not using any parking brake. The wheels are Corvette Z06 replicas, 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear, I'm rear 2"spacers all the way around (cause of wheel choice, not the brakes). I think I could have ran 17's with the proper offset. I know the f-body guys are doing it with 17's. I made all my own brackets and spacers. Lots of trial and error and measuring and remeasuring. If you value your time I think out would be cheaper to buy a setup already made for your car. I just wanted to be different mostly.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

I found brackets for them on a site called flynbye.com. They look to be good to me. I plan to take of the front rotors and have them machined into hubs.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

No complaints, but I just got the swap done and have a few other things to finish up on the car before I hit the road. Not using any parking brake. The wheels are Corvette Z06 replicas, 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear, I'm rear 2"spacers all the way around (cause of wheel choice, not the brakes). I think I could have ran 17's with the proper offset. I know the f-body guys are doing it with 17's. I made all my own brackets and spacers. Lots of trial and error and measuring and remeasuring. If you value your time I think out would be cheaper to buy a setup already made for your car. I just wanted to be different mostly.
Which rear back plate did you use if any? I'm trying to get started and want to know what I will need.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

One thing to consider with this swap is the center bore dimension of the rotors. It is imperative that the rotors register precisely on the hub. I believe the 2013 Camaro rotors use a different center bore dimension than the "traditional" GM dimension, such as the one used on the C5/C6 Corvette (I forget the exact bore size, I think it is 2.76").

On the rear, using fixed caliper with a c-clip axle design is asking for increased pad knock back during cornering. A floating caliper design is much better suited to a c-clip style axle.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 90 Camaro 9bolt rear disc brakes on my Chevelle. I had to redrill the mounting plates as the 9 bolt has a larger four bolt flange. Then I had space the pad carriers off the mounting plates with a few washers. I used '08 Caravan parking brake cables (both right side cables as they are longer). they connected to the calipers like stock, but I crossed them over top the differential and put them in the stock frame locations. From there it hooked directly to the rest of the factory parking brake system.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spec134
Which rear back plate did you use if any? I'm trying to get started and want to know what I will need.

Thanks
Didn't use any backing plates.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
One thing to consider with this swap is the center bore dimension of the rotors. It is imperative that the rotors register precisely on the hub. I believe the 2013 Camaro rotors use a different center bore dimension than the "traditional" GM dimension, such as the one used on the C5/C6 Corvette (I forget the exact bore size, I think it is 2.76").

On the rear, using fixed caliper with a c-clip axle design is asking for increased pad knock back during cornering. A floating caliper design is much better suited to a c-clip style axle.

Andrew
Correct the rotor center bore is smaller on all the 10-13 rotors. I had them machined out to fit my hubs (very snugly).

I used c-clip eliminators on the rear.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Correct the rotor center bore is smaller on all the 10-13 rotors. I had them machined out to fit my hubs (very snugly).

I used c-clip eliminators on the rear.
Do you remember how much you had to have them bored out too?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

I've read that the 1LE rotor/hub from the 3rd gen camaro is required for this setup to work properly. For those who have done this setup is this correct?

Quick Reply: 2010+ Camaro Caliper and Rotor setup on a early A-body