Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang that sucks, You can def see the hole. Are those the hooker headers they suggest with this "package" of parts?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are their 'mid length' headers. Hooker 2471-3HKR. I actually still haven't fixed them. The buildup is after about 1,100 miles (untuned). I never contacted them to see if they'd warranty them. I actually just discovered this about 2 months ago. I may call them to see what they say. I have now had them 1 year almost exactly. Problem is, flanges have been welded on since then.

Of note on another issue is that my early 71 frame required redrilling holes for clamshells as my Pontiac engine mounts wouldn't work. While getting everything ready, the templates just didn't look quite right. I bolted their mounts to the engine along with new (recommended) Chevy style clamshell mounts and used lowered the engine and trans onto the subframe. There was no way any it was lining up following their instructions. The template they provide basically shows where to drill to install Chevy clamshells. I couldn't figure out what was going on.

I contacted Holley and asked them. They had no suggestions and the mounts were definitely correct. One of their techs then tells me that at some point my subframe had to have been swapped out. I saw there no way of this being possible as a 400 was in the car before using Pontiac factory engine mounts without issue.

I then decide to just drop it back down but used the trans cross member they make to center and position the back of the trans at the tail. From there, I measured and leveled the engine at the crank and scribed the clamshell as it rested on the sub frame. I drilled holes and that's how it's been ever since.

I then read some months later on one of the forums (can't remember which now) that they revised the template as it was incorrect.

I brought this to their attention early on and was told I was wrong. This was after talking to three different techs who said something was wrong on my end.

If you have a later 2nd gen (or Camaro), you wouldn't have had these issues in the beginning.

Of the Ls swap mounts I've seen, these are extremely well built and look as if they can handle quite a bit of power. I'd use them again. The headers....probably not, but it is all made to go together.

No issues at all with the trans crossmember so far, although I would've like it to hug the floor of the car just a bit more.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man that sucks about the pin holes, those headers aren't cheap and probably the most costly thing of the whole set up.

The $165 shipped chinese stainless LS shorty headers I got off eBay have cleaner welds in it's area than that. These actually fit using the hooker mounts BTW, so i don't have to shell out any more money for headers. I was hoping I wouldn't.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also the instructions mentioned that you can use a low mount alternator and brackets from a Fbody set-up but would have to trim the plastic cover on the back of the alternator.

Don't know whats different in my set-up, but I trimmed the plastic and alternator will sit in place, but the rear alternator bracket is laying on the sub-frame. I definitely can't have that.

Sooo, I found this accessory bracket kit on ebay and ordered it. Came in yesterday. It matches the kwik performance AC bracket on the passenger side at a fraction of what they charge for their set ups.

Won't install it until this weekend, it "looks" like it will work fine though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141839968084?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-03-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cpd004
I then decide to just drop it back down but used the trans cross member they make to center and position the back of the trans at the tail. From there, I measured and leveled the engine at the crank and scribed the clamshell as it rested on the sub frame. I drilled holes and that's how it's been ever since.
That is exactly how I placed my engine mounts, but using the factory trans mount and TH350, then welding.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got a a shot of my exhaust. This is with:
  • Edelbrock muscle car headers
  • 3" Pypes X-pipe
  • Hooker 2nd Gen conversion trans cross member
  • LS3 connected to a T56 with a Quick Time bell house
Everything cleared quite easily, literally taking 20 minutes total to mock up, trim the exhaust pipes so the mufflers fit in the correct spot, reassemble everything and test fire the car. There is absolutely no way I could have done this with my old cross member (one of those trim-to-fit and then weld youself deals)
Old 08-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Todd, question, is there a 4l80 crossmember for this Gen? Have a project going on a 73 Firebird but not able to find the part number for it. I guess there is no 4l80 as of yet??

Thank you
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
Todd, question, is there a 4l80 crossmember for this Gen? Have a project going on a 73 Firebird but not able to find the part number for it. I guess there is no 4l80 as of yet??

Thank you
Hello Sebastian. Installation of a 4L80 was not accommodated for in the development of the Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap system. However, you can get make it happen using the 12616HKR T56 2nd-gen crossmember and the 4L80 adapter bracket from the Hooker G-body swap system...you'll have to drill two holes through the crossmember to provide proper attachment of the bracket.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Todd just picked up a set of the swap headers for my 75 Camaro and mocked them up last night. Part #2295-7HKR. The O2 bungs are facing the sides of the transmission. I have a 4L60E in my set up. Is this correct or do I have the wrong part # for my app. Doesn't look like there's enough room to install the O2s.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by M6 Swap
Hey Todd just picked up a set of the swap headers for my 75 Camaro and mocked them up last night. Part #2295-7HKR. The O2 bungs are facing the sides of the transmission. I have a 4L60E in my set up. Is this correct or do I have the wrong part # for my app. Doesn't look like there's enough room to install the O2s.
You have the correct part number; the O2 bung locations will work with your 4L60.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You have the correct part number; the O2 bung locations will work with your 4L60.
ok will try it out tonight. Also was wondering what type or routing of trans lines hooker engineered these around.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by M6 Swap
ok will try it out tonight. Also was wondering what type or routing of trans lines hooker engineered these around.
I don't remember if there is enough clearance to route the cooler lines between the header primary tubes and the subframe rail, but if not, I would bring them down out of the trans case and come forward next to the starter before bending them up over the engine crossmember and around the passenger side engine mounting bracket. It's been about 4 years since I've been under a 2nd-gen F-body, so my ability to visualize that space is limited at the moment.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody have any pics of their trans cooler lines with these headers installed?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Todd (or anyone else), do you have a picture of the late 2nd gen conversion headers similar to the ones below? My existing headers leave me with 2.5" of ground clearance, due to the car being lowered. What I'm wanting to determine is how low your conversion headers hang in relation to the frame/trans/cross member. I'm hoping to buy an inch or two in effective ground clearance. To recap, my existing headers are Edelbrock Musclecar conversion headers (no longer made).

Thanks.

Originally Posted by 1981TA
At long last, the pictures of my trans cross member installed. To recap:
  • This is a 1981 Trans Am (with 78 nose, in case that confuses people)
  • I originally had a 5.3 with a C5 Batwing pan, edelbrock muscle car ls headers and a crap dual 2.5 to single 3 inch exhaust.
  • I now have a ls3 with the C6 oil pan, the same headers and a dual 3" pypes x-pipe exhaust.
  • I am using the. Holley/hooker conversion trans cross member with a prothane mount.
  • My lower motor mounts are welded to the frame and my upper mounts are the typical 1 inch set backs.

Car is lowered, but front suspension will need to be adjusted down due to drop in weight from the new engine. Adjustable coil overs are nice to have.

Last edited by 1981TA; 04-03-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll do some digging for you tomorrow...it's been a few years since I've visited that file, so I don't remember what photos I have.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, thanks bud.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Find anything? Or, better yet, do you have measurements for how far the headers come down, in relation to the engine cross member, frame rails or transmission? (Like 1" below the bottom most part of the transmission bellhouse/cross member/frame/etc)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Find anything? Or, better yet, do you have measurements for how far the headers come down, in relation to the engine cross member, frame rails or transmission? (Like 1" below the bottom most part of the transmission bellhouse/cross member/frame/etc)
Here's some images of the Hooker late 2nd-gen F-body headers on a 76' Camaro...this is in reference to the engine being installed with the Hooker engine swap brackets for the same application.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, thanks. I assume that is the Holley swap oil pan in there too, right? What is the oil pan's depth? I'm trying to judge by comparing it to the depth of my existing pan (C6), roughly how my welded-in engine mounts position the engine to where the Holley mounts position the engine. It looks pretty close, from what I can see.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Cool, thanks. I assume that is the Holley swap oil pan in there too, right? What is the oil pan's depth? I'm trying to judge by comparing it to the depth of my existing pan (C6), roughly how my welded-in engine mounts position the engine to where the Holley mounts position the engine. It looks pretty close, from what I can see.
The oil pan shown in the images is the Holley 302-1. The Hooker 2nd-gen engine brackets center the engine in the subframe similar to the stock engine alignment in the 1st-gens (they are just barely off-center), so you need to have similar geometry in your engine brackets of the passenger side header will experience interference with the right side frame rail.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released