Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 brakes

Sourcing my rear and front ls1 brake setup. I got fr calipers/brackets,hoses..but just ran into issue. I currently have discs on the front single piston with 2 inch dropped spindles, and I went to remove caliper and rotor and the rotor is stuck. I wont come off. Am I missing something else, also the holes aren't matching up with the mounting bracket for the LS1. So do I need to get ls1 spindles and hubs now? Will this raise my car since the 2 dropped spindles would have to be replaced???
Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What car is this for ?.. manufactor of the Dropped Spindles ?

There are kits to adapt 4th Gen F-body (AKA LS1 Brakes) Brakes to early GM cars. There usually two types of Kits. one for Drum and another for Disk Bake Spindles.

If the dropped spindles is of a design that is simular to the OEM.. it is possible that one of these kits might work on it. It depends on the Aftermarket Spindle.

BRP Hot Rods sells kits.
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...ry_Code=BRK12F

I have found some kits on EBay and Church Boys Racing and Kore3 has some kits that might work depending on what car and spindle you currently have.

BC
Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
What car is this for ?.. manufactor of the Dropped Spindles ?

There are kits to adapt 4th Gen F-body (AKA LS1 Brakes) Brakes to early GM cars. There usually two types of Kits. one for Drum and another for Disk Bake Spindles.

If the dropped spindles is of a design that is simular to the OEM.. it is possible that one of these kits might work on it. It depends on the Aftermarket Spindle.

BRP Hot Rods sells kits.

I have found some kits on EBay and Church Boys Racing and Kore3 has some kits that might work depending on what car and spindle you currently have.

BC
1972 cutlass ,not sure on manufacturer need to check its been years...thats for the reply..hows the ls1 swap treatin ya
Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Chevelle has been running since 06', never a problem ..I need to get some more funding to finish the Nova.. but the engine is running.. that was a releif that i wire up the harness right !...

Need Exhaust system, Wheels and Tire and finish the Brakes system. About $3,500 short at this point in finishing it !

I did get the LS1 rear brakes worked out, eBrake and all. check out my build thread if you need some info. LS1 Fronts are in, but had to remove the Caliper so that I could get the car back on the ground rolling around (need bigger wheel/tires LOL).

BC
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Chevelle has been running since 06', never a problem ..I need to get some more funding to finish the Nova.. but the engine is running.. that was a releif that i wire up the harness right !...

Need Exhaust system, Wheels and Tire and finish the Brakes system. About $3,500 short at this point in finishing it !

I did get the LS1 rear brakes worked out, eBrake and all. check out my build thread if you need some info. LS1 Fronts are in, but had to remove the Caliper so that I could get the car back on the ground rolling around (need bigger wheel/tires LOL).

BC
awesome second ls1 swap.. This is a kit thats similar to the one I have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1972-Chevy-A-Body-2-Drop-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-Chevelle-El-Camino-/400247825291?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d30a1238b&vxp=mtr
so it looks like I will need hubs??? and brackets??
Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmm. not sure but this could be a problem to use with many of the kits, as compared to the Standard kits the BRP and other market. This spindle has a cast in Caliper Bracket / Abutment.
See if you can find a picture of the oem spindle.. (both Disk and Drum) to compare the differents.

This spindle looks simular to a B-Body Spindle (Impala/Caprice) that I used on my Chevelle with the larger HD Brakes.. I have read that there are kit to convert to larger brakes. You have to cut the existing bracket off...

BC
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Hmmm. not sure but this could be a problem to use with many of the kits, as compared to the Standard kits the BRP and other market. This spindle has a cast in Caliper Bracket / Abutment.
See if you can find a picture of the oem spindle.. (both Disk and Drum) to compare the differents.

This spindle looks simular to a B-Body Spindle (Impala/Caprice) that I used on my Chevelle with the larger HD Brakes.. I have read that there are kit to convert to larger brakes. You have to cut the existing bracket off...

BC
Got them off last night , so I am better off going to junk yard and getting spindle and hub off 98-02 camaro...secondly will they mount up with mods
Attached Thumbnails Ls1 brakes-imag1320.jpg   Ls1 brakes-imag1321.jpg   Ls1 brakes-imag1322.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Launching!

The LS1 spindles will not bolt to your front suspension, totally different strut style spindle. The LS1 brake swap works OE style spindles including drop spindles, disc or drum. Only difference is a spacer and hardware used to mount the caliper adapter bracket. The drop spindles you show look like earlier G body spindles? And they will not work with the LS1 calipers.

I did a writeup of my swap on teamchevelle, here's the link: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...146&highlight=

Do a search on teamchevelle and you will find a few other swaps too. I have a template for the front caliper brackets I made if you wish to make your own brackets out of 3/8" steel plate.

I did a few things differently than most swaps but it may have some helpful information. Be sure to get the rear brackets from the LS1 that attach the hoses and e-cable as you can modify and reuse them on your Cutluss.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah.. 4th gen spindles are not going to fit. if your going to the JY.. see if you can find the early short spindle and then use the conversion kit.

BC
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah.. 4th gen spindles are not going to fit. if your going to the JY.. see if you can find the early short spindle and then use the conversion kit.

BC
Dang...Money wasted on the old one piston caliper with 2 inch drop spindles..
So what donor car should I look for that has the tall spindles that will work?
Do I just get spindles from 68-72 cutlass? Also the hub issue, i will need to purchase hubs to mate to the new spindles as well as the bracket to mount to spindle to mount the mounting bracket for the caliper...did I get it all
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Teching In

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-72-Cutlass-442-Drop-Spindles-Pair-2-Lowering-/180946378114?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1972%7CModel%3ACutlass&hash=item2a213e9d82&vxp=mtr
would this work
Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

No the Tall Spindle will not work with the LS1 brakes either. They also have cast in brackets. Though they do add better turning/steering by correcting the Positive Camber problem. But that is another story that you should research if you go that route.

Those spindles look like they would work with the LS1 Brake kits.. but unless someone tried it on those.. that would be the question to keep asking... Since these are a Disk Brake Spindle. Makes sure you order the Disk Brake kit.. as the Disk Brake and Drum Brake spindles are different.

I believe that you can alter the Disk Brake to work with a Drum brake it by machining down part of the spindle.

BC
Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 AM
Launching!

The spindle you show above looks like it would work as it is a stock style drop spindle. But, BC is correct about the later G-body tall spindle as it too has an integral caliper mount. Did you keep your original spindles?

No machining of the either spindle required. The difference between a disc spindle and a drum spindle is in the top mounting location for the caliper bracket. Drum spindle does not require a spacer where as the disc spindle will use one along with a longer bolt. With either spindle you will also need a set of drum hubs. These will need to be machined slightly so the LS1 rotor fits over them.

Here is a website where I got a lot of info from: http://pozziracing.com/12_corvette_brakes_on_fgen.htm

The template they show if for 13" brakes from the Vette. Just change the offset of the mounting holes 1/2" and they will then work for 12" LS1 brakes.

Here"s another site that has very good instructions too: http://www.brphotrods.com/installgui...ll%20guide.pdf

Wilwood sells aluminum hubs which are much better than the import cast hubs. You will need longer studs for the conversion which is why I went with the Wilwoods as they use screw in studs. It's a nice upgrade to 1/2" studs. You can drill your rear axles when you swap the rear discs.

Last edited by fox12303; 07-31-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Teching In

ok guys looks like I am at a cross road, I got excited and got a good price on 98-02 f-body sealed hubs which are so cool off evil bay...but they wont work with my current spindles...will the afx tall spindle kit work with my 72 cutlass if will it just bolt right up..[please say yes...this brake swap is getting pricey
Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought fox nailed it - use the existing drop spindles, drum hubs turned for the rotor, and an eBay LS1 conversion kit. At least that's how I understand it to be for camaro/nova.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Launching!

The AFX spindles use Corvette hubs. Not sure if they are the same as the F-body. CPP makes a nice looking kit which uses an AFX style 1" taller spindle, Corvette hubs and 13" Corvette brakes. For $700 shipped it's a bolt on for Camaro and Chevelle. Haven't heard much feedback on it quality wise as many people are hesitant on CPP. Check it out if since you have to buy new spindles anyway. The CPP spindles are forged steel and the AFX are forged aluminum. And the CPP does not address the bump steer from the original steering arms. For daily drivers to some performance it's not a concern anyway.

Last edited by fox12303; 08-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Afx spindles pop up in the pro touring and chevelles.com forums from time to time.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Teching In

thanks guys for all the advice, got some spindles ordered and hubs, where can I purchase the ls1 swap conversion bracket that attaches to spindle to mount caliper???
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

BRP Hot Rods / Muscle Rods markets everything you need, you can also try searching on eBay, they pop up there from time to time.. Kore3 does a lot of conversions using Corvette parts.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Has anyone ever found a trailer hub that will fit on a nova spindle?
They are relatively cheap and common... just a thought.

I know there are bearing sizing conflicts and such to take into account, but I wonder if there might be a coincidence somewhere in the industry.

Quick Reply: Ls1 brakes