Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sourcing Engine/Transmission "Drop-Outs"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Sourcing Engine/Transmission "Drop-Outs"?

Can anyone suggest places other than eBay for good quality complete drop-outs?

It would be advantageous if the seller/retailer was willing to ship both nationally and internationally.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with shipping is that it adds significant cost to the build.

First you have the time to palletize and prepare the shipping docs. Then you need to have a dock and forklift and a guy to operate it. All of this is overhead and needs to be rolled into the cost of the engine. Once it's on the truck, the actual costs to travel from one point to another become another factor in the total cost. Further cost drivers are whether or not the receiving location has a dock/forklift and if it's a business. If it's not then you are looking at a residential upcharge and the need for a truck with a lift gate.

In addition to the costs associated with shipping, there are costs for the building to store the engines, taxes, permits, and fees on Visa/MC transactions all there to either take a bite out of profits or add to the cost.

Finally there is the risk of shipping something across the country only to have the person on the other end get a case of buyers remorse or botch the install and the next thing you know you have someone badmouthing you online and filing a dispute with Visa/MC who promptly removes all of the funds associated with the transaction from your account while the issue is sorted out.

That said, I can get engine transmission combos from 2007 and up trucks and SUV's. PM me for what's available.

Last edited by Docked Wage; 07-31-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Believe me I know the pain associated with buying/shipping internationally, and the costs (Oh God the costs!!!)... I am STILL waiting for our new project car to get on a transport and come up to Canada - the shipping/customs costs were almost as much as the car.

I will gladly spend money on good parts/service. I just don't want to be the victim of some Ham n' Egger slapping together flood damaged drop-outs to make a quick buck at my expense.

The good news is I have friends State-side and we live near a border city so that increases my options.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Craigslist. Cars and trucks are wrecked all the time.
You can hear it run and pull everything you need that way.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Not sure how close you are to Buffalo, NY but there is a very large dismantler there. They sell complete drivetrain drop-outs for reasonable. Not sure about the shipping costs, but they are always on Craigslist.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know some have used www.car-part.com
Might check them out.. I sometimes use them to compare prices...

BC
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Craigslist. Cars and trucks are wrecked all the time.
You can hear it run and pull everything you need that way.
Lots of good people selling there but as in many cases buyer beware. With CL only if you can see/hear it run or get the VIN and run a car fax to verify mileage if it's already out.

Back when I did my jeep I drove an hour to look at a motor with 90K advertised. I had cash and a trailer to take it with me but said no way was I buying without a VIN. When they finally coughed up a VIN the car fax came back with 290K on the truck when it was wrecked. The seller then started dropping the price on the spot. I politely declined and went on my way.

Ken
Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
I know some have used www.car-part.com
Might check them out.. I sometimes use them to compare prices...

BC
I have found all my LS engines on car-part.com. Most larger dismantlers will ship reasonably.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM

Talk to your local towing company/wreck yard. They receive vehicles with LSX motors in them all the time. You may even be able to hear it run before you buy it, AND know the mileage. One of my buddy's dads runs one and crushes vehicles all the time with these motors in them...It is not worth their time and money to pull one out unless someone is knocking at their door asking for one...
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Docked Wage
That said, I can get engine transmission combos from 2007 and up trucks and SUV's. PM me for what's available.
Where you getting your motors Ken?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bow Auto in NH. LKQ in your area if you're lucky enough to live near one.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Hit up Bfurches on here....Brandon is a stand up dude. He is located in Mass so shipping or pick up should be cheaper/faster.

Quick Reply: Sourcing Engine/Transmission "Drop-Outs"?