Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory Bracket Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Accessory Bracket Question

I'm thinking about doing an LSx swap into an E36. Most of the build threads I've reviewed used dropout LS1, LS2 and LS3's from Camaro's and GTO's, so all of the accessory brackets worked well.

If I were to use an LS2 from a TBSS (with a car intake/TB) or go the LQ4 w/L92 head route, what's the easiest way to go about collecting the proper brackets, pulley's etc. to reproduce the accessory placement that's found on the LS1 Camaro's, LS2 GTO's and LS3 Camaro's?

I've searched the forum quite a bit but I'm starting to get information overload.

Thanks.

Tipsy
Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the classifieds for a complete LS1 setup. Think about the 2010 Camaro setup which has the same offset as the trucks. The parts are reasonably priced since they are current production items. You can buy complete Cadillac sets new from GM. Are you using A/C? Here's something I did to relocate the a/c and it's all converted to truck offset.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...g-dscf3680.jpg
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fox12303
Check the classifieds for a complete LS1 setup. Think about the 2010 Camaro setup which has the same offset as the trucks. The parts are reasonably priced since they are current production items. You can buy complete Cadillac sets new from GM. Are you using A/C? Here's something I did to relocate the a/c and it's all converted to truck offset.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...g-dscf3680.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd like to retain a/c. I believe the compressor will have to be mounted on the lower left, as depicted below.

Just the be clear, the offset refers to the pulley position in relation to the balancer? And the LS3 shares the same offset as the truck engines (LQ4/LQ9)? If yes, is the LS3 the only "car" engine that shares the same offset as the truck engines?

Tipsy

Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Damper offset in relation to crankshaft or front of engine. Yes, I believe the LS3 is the only offset that matches the truck. I think Cadillac is the same as the Corvette but i'm not certain of that one. Corvette is the tightest/shortest offset, then LS1 and then truck/LS3.

I have a set of LS1 brackets that I will be putting on here for sale as a complete accessory drive(minus the a/c stuff). I will eventually have an LS3 set(minus a/c) and the Holley brackets(truck offset minus a/c) for sale too. PM me if interested depending on how soon you need a set.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

I am using a LQ9 for my 68 Camaro...and would like to clarify the brackets...

If I read the above correctly the 2010 Camaro with the same offset as the LQ9 would not require me to change the water pump or crank pulley? Just the alt, and PS pump bracket? I am not planning on A/C until later.

Anyone have the GM part numbers to make the switch?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Launching!

There's no simple answer for your accessory drive on your LQ9 into a 68 Camaro. You will eventually have to install the engine where you want it in the car and test fit the type of accessory drive you wish to use. I'm sure you will be able to research similar LS swaps as a guide.

Here's a link with many of the part numbers for multiple drives.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...oem-parts.html

Here's a link for waterpump conversion/pulley swap in case you want to use an LS1 style waterpump.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ed-f-body.html

If you do some searches here you will find other useful links.

Issues you will have is interference with your steering box and crossmember on drivers side and if you want the a/c low you will have issues with the crossmember on the passenger side. Do some research on fitment and setback of your engine to provide the least interference issues possible. Many people use the Holley brackets since they don't have these issues other than appearance in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with all c6 accessories in my mustang swap. The alternator is mounted high, the ps pulley medium and nothing down low on the driver' side. The only thing on the passeger side is an idler pulley and the ac. It is also about the shortest front to back accessory set.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

I have a set of LS1 brackets that I will be putting on here for sale as a complete accessory drive(minus the a/c stuff). I will eventually have an LS3 set(minus a/c) and the Holley brackets(truck offset minus a/c) for sale too. PM me if interested depending on how soon you need a set.
Thanks. Not quite ready to start collecting parts. I'm still looking for a donor car for the swap, so I don't want to put the cart before the horse. I'm very much in a research stage.

FYI, I came across this site: Nook & Tranny. Put the word "bracket" in their search box. Looks like they have a lot of OEM brackets listed.

They have several drive diagrams depicted here.

Tipsy
Old 08-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Very familiar with Nook&Tranny and the site is a handy reference tool. Cheaper to get the part numbers and buy from gmpartsdirect or ScogginDickey(sdparts.com) when your ready.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Just FYI don't get the LS3 corvette mixed up with the LS3 camaro
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Wondering if the offset for the GTO LS2 accessories is the same as the Trailblazer LS2?

Anyone know?

Tipsy
Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
I went with all c6 accessories in my mustang swap. The alternator is mounted high, the ps pulley medium and nothing down low on the driver' side. The only thing on the passeger side is an idler pulley and the ac. It is also about the shortest front to back accessory set.
Agreed. Here is pic of the corvette accessory drive installed in a 2nd gen f-body:

Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Look up the balancer part number for an 2008 Trailblazer with 6.0(assuming it is the LS2), it is the same as an 2008 Silverado with 5.3L. The Trailblazer SS appears to use the truck offset and the GTO LS2 is same as the Camaro LS1 offset. So, no they are not the same.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Look up the balancer part number for an 2008 Trailblazer with 6.0(assuming it is the LS2), it is the same as an 2008 Silverado with 5.3L. The Trailblazer SS appears to use the truck offset and the GTO LS2 is same as the Camaro LS1 offset. So, no they are not the same.
That's what I thought. Thanks.

Tipsy

Quick Reply: Accessory Bracket Question