Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2lM...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such an amazing and inspirational build! I just read the entire thread and learned more than I imagined. Good work and thank you for sharing!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love this set up
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM
B64
Teching In

Awesome build thread! Really shows me what I'm up against with my swap (64)
I know is is backtracking a bit but I'm about to remove the oil cooler on my LS3 and really want to avoid messing the threads up. Any suggestions?

The next problem that needed to be resolved required the engine to be removed for the fix...... when I removed the original Camaro oil pan that had the factory engine coolant heat exchanger for cooling the engine oil........there was a fitting that fed the coolant out of the block to the cooler........when I removed that fitting , the sealant that the factory used ended up galling the thread while unscrewing the aluminum fitting........so ......the threads were screwed up in the block and needed to be repaired so I could screw in and seal the opening with a new fitting that I will make at the shop..........So......In checking the threads it ended up that GM uses a non standard thread.........M28x1.25 pitch...........you can get a 1.0 or a 1.5 mm pitch but not a 1.25.........so.....I had no choice other than to have a tap made by a specialty Tap manufacturer..........Now....Because the threads were galled in the block and didn't want to take a chance of the tap going in on a angle and making things worse.....I made a sleeve that was a slip fit for the tap so I could hold the sleeve on the sealing face of the hole ......this allowed me to keep the tap square ...............Held it in place and started tapping and I got Lucky as it picked up the existing threads and cleaned them out perfectly.......Cool.......I'll make a new fitting tomorrow and get the engine in for the last time ( I hope)........

Last edited by B64; 07-14-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Love the build, damn now i really wish I made the automotion dells shows. Im from Wisconsin too, what city are you from?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you need the tap to clean out the threads I can send it to you......Just return it when you are finished....

Ken

Originally Posted by B64
Awesome build thread! Really shows me what I'm up against with my swap (64)
I know is is backtracking a bit but I'm about to remove the oil cooler on my LS3 and really want to avoid messing the threads up. Any suggestions?

The next problem that needed to be resolved required the engine to be removed for the fix...... when I removed the original Camaro oil pan that had the factory engine coolant heat exchanger for cooling the engine oil........there was a fitting that fed the coolant out of the block to the cooler........when I removed that fitting , the sealant that the factory used ended up galling the thread while unscrewing the aluminum fitting........so ......the threads were screwed up in the block and needed to be repaired so I could screw in and seal the opening with a new fitting that I will make at the shop..........So......In checking the threads it ended up that GM uses a non standard thread.........M28x1.25 pitch...........you can get a 1.0 or a 1.5 mm pitch but not a 1.25.........so.....I had no choice other than to have a tap made by a specialty Tap manufacturer..........Now....Because the threads were galled in the block and didn't want to take a chance of the tap going in on a angle and making things worse.....I made a sleeve that was a slip fit for the tap so I could hold the sleeve on the sealing face of the hole ......this allowed me to keep the tap square ...............Held it in place and started tapping and I got Lucky as it picked up the existing threads and cleaned them out perfectly.......Cool.......I'll make a new fitting tomorrow and get the engine in for the last time ( I hope)........
Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99dsgz28
Love the build, damn now i really wish I made the automotion dells shows. Im from Wisconsin too, what city are you from?

Kenosha area.........
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM
B64
Teching In

Originally Posted by kwhizz
If you need the tap to clean out the threads I can send it to you......Just return it when you are finished....

Ken

Thanks Ken! I hope I don't have to take you up on that offer though.
Any suggestions to avoid messing up the threads? I was thinking maybe a little heat and threading it out and back in a little at a time until its all the way out?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B64
Thanks Ken! I hope I don't have to take you up on that offer though.
Any suggestions to avoid messing up the threads? I was thinking maybe a little heat and threading it out and back in a little at a time until its all the way out?

Good Luck......I was careful too!!............But....After cleaning the threads and putting a new plug in......Not even a drip!!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 PM
B64
Teching In

Good to hear that it all worked out in the end.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Good Luck......I was careful too!!............But....After cleaning the threads and putting a new plug in......Not even a drip!!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

So......After driving this Beater all summer......Here are a few observations.......Starting with a #'s matching restored car was one of those should I or shouldn't I deals.........In retrospect, I wouldn't change a thing........The time and aggravation of doing the Body/Paint/Interior thingy was well worth the little extra cost at the start of the project........It might have been a little different story if there was shoddy workmanship involved, but...........that wasn't the case here.....Driving the car has been a blast.......basically it didn't miss a beat all summer (5500 miles).....as far as I'm concerned, It's the perfect blend of "Old" with the drive ability of all the "New" stuff (that's also what the GM guy's on the Power Tour thought and why they did the Feature on the car........ https://theblock.com/news/ken-tibor-...ur-feature-car The car never gets hot.....even with the A/C blowing ice cubes......Did I mention Torque.......LOL.....Now I know why Charley is always smiling while driving his Camaro..........

http://vid13.photobucket.com/albums/...OV_3844MOV.mp4

Name:  C048B1C4-3B43-49A1-A6CC-3B7D28042EFF.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  1.98 MB

After the Power Tour was over........one of the regulars we travel with for the week is Steve Kranick who just started a Hydrographics business schotrods@Hotmail.com ...........Between Steve and my son Chris they worked behind the scenes and did a new engine cover to surprise me with as they hated that red cover
.........The finishing touch.......

Before

Name:  517C5EC0-1E51-49D9-B85F-C77C8205D3B0.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  1.96 MB

After

Name:  21D21DC4-338A-438C-BF28-1A288307CAD9.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  2.30 MB

The ride, comfort, handling, and power in this beater is awsum......Looking forward to the Muscle Car Adventure Event in a couple of weeks with Stefano............
Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice touch on the engine cover. Looks good.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Uh-oh, sounds like you are getting that itch for another project, it will be hard to top this one. I see a direct port injection C7 Corvette engine in your future.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

The engine cover looks GREAT!!! Glad to hear you haven't had any problems with it, not that I thought you would. Did you ever find out what happened to the donor car that lead to it getting parted out?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The engine cover looks GREAT!!! Glad to hear you haven't had any problems with it, not that I thought you would. Did you ever find out what happened to the donor car that lead to it getting parted out?

I heard the owner rolled it............

Ken
Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On another note......I went to a little car show on Sunday and the original owner of the car who restored it was there and read me the "Riot" act for ruining his car...........It was an Interesting conversation to say the least........LOL
Some of these guys are extremely militant and act as if you poured gasoline on the car, flicked a match at it and started square dancing around it.

Bottom line is your taste is like many others that love the old school look but want to fuse it late model performance.

Well done!

QQ and sorry if I missed this in the thread... What is your rear gear ratio?

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-06-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
Some of these guys are extremely militant and act as if you poured gasoline on the car, flicked a match at it and started square dancing around it.

Bottom line is your taste is like many others that love the old school look but want to fuse it late model performance.

Well done!

QQ and sorry if I missed this in the thread... What is your rear gear ratio?

Regards,

Matt

3:42

2200 RPM at 80 mph
Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Outstanding job Ken.
Great documentation for others (like me) to read and look at.

Stu
Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Season is just about over here in Wisconsin........Overview of the year since the completion in May......7276 miles of trouble free driving this year......There is still a few "Tweaks" needed to make the car up to the standards ..........The first issue I will be dealing with is the Oil pan / Drivetrain angle issues.........again......on the initial install the Holley 302-2 pan was not available so I used the -1 pan........I had to raise the front of the engine to clear the tie rod ends, which gave me a little more angle than I wanted.......to get the angle more in line I have the rear of the trans shimmed up as high as it would go to help out with the angle issue......In doing this the trans is hitting inside the trans tunnel and giving a slight vibration ........So....even though mechanically the angle is now dialed in.....I am going to change the -1 pan out for the -2 pan so I can lower the engine slightly to alleviate that issue.......

The second issue is the reproduction dash Pad in the car........Repro Dash pads are Junk in my opinion and don't fit worth a crap......I've been looking for a OEM one for months to send to Just Dashes for restoring........I finally found one and sent it off to them for restoring.......they have a twelve week lead time so that makes the timing about perfect.......I also bought a DSE wiper motor assy so when I take the dash out for the pad install I can change around the wiper switch and wiring.........

All in all it's been a real treat to drive this car around the Country this season......The Torque and Power these engines make is just Crazy...........along with the average for the season of 20 MPG are just outstanding .............

Name:  0C3A8DC0-3FE7-4086-BFCD-0F8EC4D4C696.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  1.54 MB

Name:  3FC40406-DE66-4734-BC2F-12DFAC270FF1_1.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  1.84 MB

Name:  9FADB50C-AC78-4980-A7E3-E8F078FDB6F7.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  1.70 MB

Stay tuned........
Old 10-27-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

The Season is just about over here in Wisconsin
Ken if you don't want it to set threw another harse winter I'd be glad to take care of it for you free of charge LOL. Our season last all year down in these parts.
Rocky

Quick Reply: 66 Chevelle LSA/4L90E Conversion