Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Body Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunner Dog
Brought my old thread back for a question. I'm measuring both versions of the Holley LS oil pan (part #302-1 and #302-2) for the best fit in my 68 camaro. My question is can I swap out the GM Muscle Car pan with the Holley pan without raising the engine up?

Thanks.
It's common to have oil pan to crossmember interference when attempting to install the Holley 302-1 pan into a 1st-gen subframe using the frame stand/swap plate method of installation...some guys have installed washers/shims under the frame stands to raise the engine enough for the pan to clear, but that practice has negative effects on your U-joint working angles and produces tighter clearances between your transmission bellhousing and trans tunnel sheet metal.

The 302-2 was designed to specifically address that issue as one of it's primary design characteristics and as a better bet for a 1st-gen long as you don't need the stroker capabilities of the 302-1 (the 302-2 will accommodate a max stroke 3.62" and will not work on a LS7 or LSX 454.)
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that you would have to raise the engine up a few inches to be able to remove the oil pan with the engine still in the engine bay. I was trying to do so on my Chevelle, but ended up removing the engine as I was not able to raise my engine enough to remove the pan.

Good luck..
Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my GM Muscle pan out with the engine in the car. I had to raise the engine as high as I could and also remove the tranny cross member, that way I could lower the tail of the tranny for a better angle. But the catch was having to unbolt the windage tray and pickup with the pan dropped. Once they were unbolted you could remove it all from the car. I replaced it with a modified F-body pan. It went in much easier than the other coming out.

Quick Reply: F-Body Oil Pan