TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suncc49
awesome build Ryan
Thanks... It still has a lot of work left
Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 74 and need to put power steering on it. Does your car have power steering? If so, what brackets did you use for your power steering pump? My alternator is in approximately the same location as yours, but I am still using the truck accessory brackets. Thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 74ventura
I have a 74 and need to put power steering on it. Does your car have power steering? If so, what brackets did you use for your power steering pump? My alternator is in approximately the same location as yours, but I am still using the truck accessory brackets. Thanks

Yes it has power steering.
I was using the truck brackets and accessories for a long time, but when I went to the LS1 intake, I had to make a change. I was also using a hydroboost system as well.

Now I am using brackets from ICT Billet, which use the truck alternator and a corvette or f-body power steering pump, with a remote reservoir. I'm sort of having trouble with my pump keeping up with fast steering changes, so I may have to start asking for help from some experts in increasing my flow or pressure. I never had issues with the truck pump though.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
Yes it has power steering.
I was using the truck brackets and accessories for a long time, but when I went to the LS1 intake, I had to make a change. I was also using a hydroboost system as well.

Now I am using brackets from ICT Billet, which use the truck alternator and a corvette or f-body power steering pump, with a remote reservoir. I'm sort of having trouble with my pump keeping up with fast steering changes, so I may have to start asking for help from some experts in increasing my flow or pressure. I never had issues with the truck pump though.
I fought with this problem too, ford rack vs. Ls2 ps pump. Most of the restrictors and or valve kits are bandaids at best. If one aspect improves, another suffers. I ended up having a custom built pump for my application. The guy i spoke with at Turn One was very knowledgeable and made me feel like i wasnt wasting a large chunk of money....bcuz it was not cheap. But either is my build!!!

P.s. killer build thread, cool car
https://www.turnone-steering.com/

Last edited by rkupon1; 05-05-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rkupon1
I fought with this problem too, ford rack vs. Ls2 ps pump. Most of the restrictors and or valve kits are bandaids at best. If one aspect improves, another suffers. I ended up having a custom built pump for my application. The guy i spoke with at Turn One was very knowledgeable and made me feel like i wasnt wasting a large chunk of money....bcuz it was not cheap. But either is my build!!!

P.s. killer build thread, cool car
https://www.turnone-steering.com/
Thank you. I'm fighting the pressure/flow against a quick ratio box... something I don't see a lot of information about. I've just put on a smaller puller, but nothing seemed to improve. I'm not sure I have much assist at all honestly. It seems I drop assist when I make really quick changes in direction, like the wheel hits a wall trying to turn.

Last edited by ryanleiker; 05-05-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Just read the entire thread non-stop took me a solid 3 hours! Looking to do a very similar build. Have you considered a boost activated exhaust cutout? I am also considering making my own Transmission mount as it seems pretty "straight" forward. Did you set driveline angle? What did you set it?

Quick Reply: 1972 LQ4 Turbo Nova