Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 LQ4 Turbo Nova

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Hey, when you put in your engine/trans, did you do them together or separate? Having a rough time getting the 4L80 tucked up in there far enough to let me slide the engine back enough to get the mounts lined up. Its being a real PITA.

Also, what did you do about the wiring/cooler fittings for the transmission? It looks like if I put the trans in now, I won't be able to reach ANY of this stuff, so its either get it ready to go FIRST, or cut holes in the transmission tunnel to access the stuff from the inside of the car.

I didn't realize the transmission was going to be so cramped.
I am noticing that, with the 1" setback plates, the bellhousing is hitting the firewall tunnel at the moment. I'll probably massage this back a little. This contact would cause some issues with getting it all in. I've been putting the transmission in by itself lately, but haven't tried the whole assembly yet.

I had to bang out the tunnel for the cooler fittings to the side of the transmission. My electrical stuff isn't really too tight to still get access.
As far as my build, I'm kind of past the point of things being able to just fit. Everything is a modification.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

A few wiring harness updates...
I was planning to put the ecu inside the passenger fender back by the firewall. Once I started playing with the harness and looking at the length, I realized I could pass it through the firewall and put the ecu and the fuseblock under the dash on top of the transmission tunnel.
At first I had to pass each plug through one at a time leaving the connectors inside. I'm probably going to make the hole larger to be able to pass both connectors through at the same time.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Also played with another crossmember design.

Last edited by ryanleiker; 06-07-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

After seeing this, I think I have to pull my transmission back out and hammer on the tunnel some more. The transmission is rubbing the top of the tunnel right where it slops up and around the bellhousing. My tail shaft sits a little lower than yours. How far is the tab on the top-rear of the tail shaft from the floor? Its about 3" on mine.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Teching In

subscribed. Keep up the good work
Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Just a few updates on the build...
My motor is being cleaned up and checked out at the machine shop, so I get to play with all the other loose ends until I get it back....

Old 05-19-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I'm modifying my spectra tank because I don't like the way the hard lines work with it and how I've hooked up the feed lines.
I don't like rigging things up...
So I'm making my own hanger based on the tanks inc idea for a plate... though mine is a 5" OD with a 4" ID mounting ring.

I had to go buy a 4" hole saw to get the ID of the ring. the bolt holes are a 1/4"-20 thread.

I had to remove the old mounting flange.

Here's the inner diameter material I have to remove. I was trying minimize the amount of shavings falling into the tank, so I cut it with tin snips. nobody will see it, except for the entire internet... so it doesn't matter how clean it is.

Last edited by ryanleiker; 05-19-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Here's one of the height/depth issues I'm running into with the pumps to the plate. I've found a couple fittings to hopefully remedy this situation, though they weren't easy to find, or logical...

Old 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I always seem to have several irons in the fire at once with this car...
So, here's some interior/ecu-fuseblock wiring/gauges/shifter console stuff I'm working on lately....

I'm planning to put my Bussmann fuse-relay block behind the vent-actuator cover in the kick panel so it's easily accessible.

I'm also building a console to cover the shifter, gauges, and ecu all the way up under the dash while still retaining the bench seat.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

A little more interior progress...
I got the top cover for the console/shifter cover done and the battery/alternator bulkhead connectors and kick panel installed. Ready to start crimping and plugging in wires into the fuseblock.
Still waiting on the engine to come back from the machine shop so I can put it back together.

I felt a little cramped back toward the seat from the console, so I tapered it off from the gauges back to give my knees a little more room. It looks a little odd, but I tried to maintain the centerline of the shifter handle even though the trim cover is offset 1/2". I had to keep the 9" width at the front because it has to cover the ecu, but this isn't very noticeable.

Here's some shots of the height above the gauges and the ecu I'm hooping for.

I probably won't do a lot more progress until after initial startup as I don't want to have to take a bunch apart if something drastic needs fixed.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 74ventura
When you welded your hot section piping to your manifolds, did welding to cast iron cause any problems? I have 74 Ventura with a LQ9 and was gonna turn the truck manifolds upside down, but wasnt sure I could MIG weld to the cast metal.

Thanks
Don't mean to interrupt, but the manifolds are cast steel which can be welded fairly easily. The best method is to preheat them about 100 or so degrees and let them cool very slowly. TIG, MIG, ARC, it will all work.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

have you plumbed the IC'er yet-I found some cast alumn. 90 deg bends, welded them in place of the short nipples, made it much easier to poke thru the core support
looking good so far, def takes a lot of fitting, cutting and thinking, lol
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by forcd ind
have you plumbed the IC'er yet-I found some cast alumn. 90 deg bends, welded them in place of the short nipples, made it much easier to poke thru the core support
looking good so far, def takes a lot of fitting, cutting and thinking, lol
Do you have a link to these?
I've already got some silicon elbows on there which I think will work out fine, but I'm always open to new ideas.
I've already planned out the cold side, just haven't cut any tubing yet. Still waiting on the motor to come back.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

I got them off ebay, search intercoolers and it might pop up-they were a life saver for me space wise
Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well it's fitting day again...
Hopefully these will solve all of life's problems.

These are -6AN to 5/16" hose barb with a 1/4"NPT bulkhead thread. I found these randomly on ebay from 1 company in Texas.
I'm going to run two of these, one for each pump, through my hanger plate.

Last edited by ryanleiker; 05-27-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Well here's the new masterpiece... it actually fits and functions properly...
A lot of emotions went into this one, so I'll mount the fittings and do the electrical another day...

Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

A few more fuel sender updates...

Installed the combination fittings...

The height of the hose ends above the tank is a little unfortunate, but I'm going to live with it until I figure out a better fitting...
I'm going to space the front of the tank down from the trunk floor to clear the fittings with some scrap material. It shouldn't cause any issues.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Started assembling the motor (no pictures yet...) and the cylinder heads now that everything is back from the machine shop...

Brian Tooley Valve Springs

Shameless plug for Tim's Valve Spring Tool
https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/317675-tim-s-valve-spring-tool-now-available.html
Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

I went ahead and got a new brake light switch to work with the TCC. This one is from an '85-ish Monte Carlo. The normally closed terminals are the same spacing as my stock nova switch, as well as fit the jam nuts. So nothing has to be modified.

I also trimmed down the ribs on the truck intake. I'd really like to tap the port plug that fed the fuel pressure regulator, if anyone has any insight into the feasibility of this.

Also went ahead and trimmer off the nipples and tapped them for 1/8" npt push-connect fittings and a pipe plug on the passenger side for aesthetics.

Also made a tool to install the balancer. M16x2.0 threaded rod, hardened nuts (two jam nuts and one press nut), a few grade 8 washers and some thick fender washers to fit the balancer, some thick walk tubing to take up space.

Last edited by ryanleiker; 06-11-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Some shots of my fuel pump sending unit:

Quick Reply: 1972 LQ4 Turbo Nova