Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hacksters 68 F100 LQ4/S475/4l80E

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrad
Such an awesome project. Everything looks amazing man, keep up the good work.

Thanks Jerrad.

Had a great day of work today in Brian's shop. Taking advantage of his lift has been awesome.

Pulled the rearend apart and installed the 31 spline 3.50 gear posi third member and got it all back together before lunch.

Got the tranny pan torqued

Pulled the converter loose from the flex plate and checked the clearance and it was in spec so I put that all back together.

Put on some DEI Heat protection on the tranny cooler lines above the exhaust.

Mounted the shifter cable out of the way of damage from the exhaust.

Filled the tranny back up with fluid and checked for major leaks. Non so far.

Fired the truck up and let it heat up. It got hot fast...faster than it should.

Pulled one of the heater hoses off and filled the rest of the motor with water and got it back together.

Started it back up and it was much better but noticed a lot of top end noise. Something is not quite right. So much that I was not going to run it any more. Pulled the drivers side valve cover and there was very little oil getting up there.

Not too sure what the problem is but hoping that its simple. I have oil pressure on the guage but doing some reading it might be the o ring on the pickup and the pump is sucking in air and sending that out with the oil.

By that time, I was exhausted...literally and was pretty beat from the last two days of work.

So instead of getting to see if the truck actually shifted into gears and moved on its own power, we figured out how we could tow it back uphill to my house.

Beyond deflated right now.

Ill try and screw with it this week if i can find the time.

Sean
Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the exhaust looks great.

this is the worst part of the build, the initial gremlins. we always make them out to be worse than they really are. take a day or two away from it and come in with a fresh mind and perspective!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter
the exhaust looks great.

this is the worst part of the build, the initial gremlins. we always make them out to be worse than they really are. take a day or two away from it and come in with a fresh mind and perspective!
I am usually pretty good with this kind of stuff, its part of building cars. This just seemed to get under my skin yesterday. I was so excited about finally being able to see if it would go into gear and if the tranny would work only to have to push it back in the garage once again.

Just not working on it last night was good for clearing my head.

I also managed to shoot the exhaust top black and about a 18" of the exhaust. It looks pretty sick. Better than I imagined it would turn out as far as what you can see from outside the truck.

Name:  0629142100a_zpsngb2lwma.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  2.26 MB

The 4" looks kind of small out the back like that, just looks like a tip. Wonder if I should have run 5"

Sean
Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Satin black exhaust looks Bad (in a good way!) Too bad about the gremlins, but you'll power through.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hoping for a simple resolution on the oil pressure issue!
bummed for you, but optimistic and interested in more results as you have them.

Doug
Old 07-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Launching!

I came home after work and started it up. It would actually get a lot worse after the initial startup and it got worse quite fast. Within a minute it was ticking fairly bad....I could tell I had a problem.

So I had stopped by the stealership on the way home from work and grabbed an o ring for the oil pump pickup like I had read about on some other posts.

I jacked up the truck and got to work pulling the pan. Its a shitty job under there. Pan and pickup have to go in and come out together so your literally working inside of the oil pan.

Pulled the pan and found the problem. I had unintentionally chopped a good section of the o ring off and it was inside of the oil pickup tube causing what I would guess a massive air leak on the suction side of the oil pump.

This was all speculation at this point though so It was clean everything up, install the new o ring and put everything back together.

New oil filter got installed, pan got reinstalled, oil drain and feed lines reinstalled.

Filled her up with 5 quarts of 5w30 and turned the key......:ohsnap:

Within 5 seconds the motor was dead quiet. I could instantly tell that I had fixed the problem.:headspin:

So onto other things, I put it in gear for the first time and it moved on its own power about a foot forwards and a foot backwards.

Tonight should be more testing, leak checks and maybe even see if it will go down the driveway.

So relieved at this point though.

Sean
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sean,
Great to hear this news!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Here is my little reminder about how not to put this together the next time. Pretty surprised that the little piece stayed inside the oil pickup tube. It was literally inside the pipe when I pulled it off.

Name:  0701140648_zpszsxsmdr0.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  3.70 MB

Sean
Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Good deal!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Very happy for you man. Hell of a break to get in this stage of the project! Looking forward to the updates.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Good deal!
Totally right?

Originally Posted by Camaro-Sutra
Very happy for you man. Hell of a break to get in this stage of the project! Looking forward to the updates.
Yeah it was pretty awesome to catch it now and be able to pull the pan and pickup with the motor in the truck.

I am totally stoked right now that it was only one day worth of work and $40 in parts to get it fixed up. It probably needed an oil change anyways after that 5 minutes of run time.

Sean
Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey iv been following your build for a long time, what a relief! Nothing better than guessing whats wrong and fixing it the first time! Good luck with the maiden voyage
Old 07-01-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very good catch! You're lucky you found the problem so quickly. Once you get the truck on a running/driving basis you may want to run and extra quart or two in there. It gives you a little more headroom to prevent starvation during hard launches, especially with a turbo. Just ask the TBSS guys about that one. I don't recall which oil pan you're using though. I'm looking forward to some footage of this one when complete!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
Hey iv been following your build for a long time, what a relief! Nothing better than guessing whats wrong and fixing it the first time! Good luck with the maiden voyage
Thanks for following along with the build. The build is half (or more) of the fun.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Very good catch! You're lucky you found the problem so quickly. Once you get the truck on a running/driving basis you may want to run and extra quart or two in there. It gives you a little more headroom to prevent starvation during hard launches, especially with a turbo. Just ask the TBSS guys about that one. I don't recall which oil pan you're using though. I'm looking forward to some footage of this one when complete!
Good to know. I have a stock truck pan on it for now. I am super happy that I found it this quick but had a hunch.

So pulled the truck out of the garage under its own power for the very first time yesterday and let it warm up (That did not take long as it was 100° here yesterday evening)

Topped off the transmission with fluid for a while and took it down to the end of the driveway. Pulled onto my little street and it instantly shifted into second or locked up the converter..not sure which though. It was not happy though. Tried it in 1st gear on the shifter and it did the same thing. I tried it multiple times but same results.

It lead me to look into some information. I have an early 4l80E transmission in the truck and the harness was originally for a 4L60E but the guy that built my harness put the 4L80 plug on it and repinned it.

i did not know that the early trans and late trans were different until I learned about the PRNDL switch when installing my B&M shifter. My trans does not have an external PRNDL switch.

So what I am wondering is will I be able to get this 2003 hummer computer and harness to work with this transmission?

Something is definately not happy with it right now.

Ill keep doing my research but looking for some input from the Tranny guys on here.

Sean
Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the Hummer computer already has a 80e trans segment? Did you run the wires for the input speed sensor?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok the hummer H2 came with a 4l65e. Your gonna need an 80e trans segment swap to get it to shift correctly.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Ok the hummer H2 came with a 4l65e. Your gonna need an 80e trans segment swap to get it to shift correctly.
I had a local guy rework the harness for the 80. He put in a program from a 2003 chevy 2500 van (6.0 4l80E) That should have worked.

Yes i believe there is already a vss wired into the harness.

However, as I research this more there is an 11 pin and a 12 pin 4L80E wiring diagram and they are totally different.

I have a hunch that I have the early 12 pin tranny and he may have wired it up for the later 11 pin operation.

I am supposed to heat from him at noon.

Does this sound like it could be the problem? or maybe I have everything correctly wired and something is just wrong in the segment?

Sean

Sean
Old 07-02-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the old internal harness thats your problem...they are pinned completely different. Good news is they arent that expensive 60-70 bucks.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1969x11
If you have the old internal harness thats your problem...they are pinned completely different. Good news is they arent that expensive 60-70 bucks.
Is it a bolt in kind of deal, nothing else I would need to change in the tranny? Or could I just repin the harness and run it? I really dont want to pull the tranny pan again right now.

Thanks for all the help, I greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

Sean
Old 07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It could probably be repinned but I would do away with the old harness...they become very brittle on the connecters. It should be plug and play, but I have no experience with a pre 93 80e.

Last edited by 1969x11; 07-02-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Hacksters 68 F100 LQ4/S475/4l80E